HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:10 PM

For those interested, here is the Municipal Board decision we’ve been discussing:

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...6&isMobile=yes

I read the Board’s findings and I must say I’m pretty alarmed. This strikes me as being an incredibly arbitrary process. As far as I can tell, there is no real legal test to be met in any direction. The board can consider everyone’s submissions and make a decision. My recollection of OMB and LPAT decisions was that they had proper legal criteria that had to be met on any given number of issues. The board assessed evidence and applied it to the test. I don’t see that here. This needs to be reworked, this lacks so much transparency and I’d strongly recommend against building infill in Winnipeg right now.

I was cautiously optimistic about the Municipal Board. I agree that municipalities should be in control, but let’s be honest, they’re often their own worst enemy. In Ontario, a lot of the intensification we’ve seen over the last 25 years occurred as a result of the tribunal’s decisions. The planning tribunal opened the door for infill against the protests of city hall. My hopes that this would happen in Winnipeg have gone out the window.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:40 PM

Manitoba must be the only provincial government actively against building more housing. In most instances as GreyGarden mentioned is the municipality setting up roadblock after roadblock. While Winnipeg is of course no exception it just boggles my mind that what should’ve been a board that approves project despite NIMBY objections ends up accomplishing the opposite.

Just one of countless fuckups performed exquisitely by our provincial government.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting that you mention Omaha, at one point I considered it similar to Winnipeg until I looked it up and realized that they have considerably more people than metro Winnipeg. 1.058 million. Even if you account for the loose American approach to MSA boundaries, that's still a lot.

Funny thing is that it doesn't really look bigger than Winnipeg, at least if you go by skylines...

Ah, I didn't realize it was that big. I had read it was only like 900,000.

Nice pic. Their skyline is small but nice. Kind of reminds me of the view of our skyline from in front of the human rights museum.

Last edited by Luisito; Dec 1, 2022 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Manitoba must be the only provincial government actively against building more housing. In most instances as GreyGarden mentioned is the municipality setting up roadblock after roadblock. While Winnipeg is of course no exception it just boggles my mind that what should’ve been a board that approves project despite NIMBY objections ends up accomplishing the opposite.

Just one of countless fuckups performed exquisitely by our provincial government.
yeah Mr anti-PC, they are so against housing! I have never in my 49 years living seen more construction of multi family & single family than what is going on now and past 5 years. Pembina has at least 6 multi stories happening. The suburbs of Amber trails, Sage Creek, Bona Vista, Bridgewater are all booming with construction. yup, the PC gov't hate new construction, yup yup yup

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At the risk of really getting into the weeds here, part of why I like El Paso as a comparator for Winnipeg is because it is very much a standalone city that isn't in the shadow of a larger city nearby (yes, I know, Juarez, but the point is that El Paso isn't a suburb or exurb of a larger place).

Places like New Haven and Oxnard are basically outer suburbs for New York and LA respectively.

Even Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton strikes me more as a bunch of smaller cities mashed together for census purposes than a true solitary metro.
Ya i was mostly referring to the weather and such in suburban LA. haha

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
For those interested, here is the Municipal Board decision we’ve been discussing:

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...6&isMobile=yes

I read the Board’s findings and I must say I’m pretty alarmed. This strikes me as being an incredibly arbitrary process. As far as I can tell, there is no real legal test to be met in any direction. The board can consider everyone’s submissions and make a decision. My recollection of OMB and LPAT decisions was that they had proper legal criteria that had to be met on any given number of issues. The board assessed evidence and applied it to the test. I don’t see that here. This needs to be reworked, this lacks so much transparency and I’d strongly recommend against building infill in Winnipeg right now.

I was cautiously optimistic about the Municipal Board. I agree that municipalities should be in control, but let’s be honest, they’re often their own worst enemy. In Ontario, a lot of the intensification we’ve seen over the last 25 years occurred as a result of the tribunal’s decisions. The planning tribunal opened the door for infill against the protests of city hall. My hopes that this would happen in Winnipeg have gone out the window.
The Municipal Board is just a power grab. Why does the Province need to meddle in Civic affairs?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Municipal Board is just a power grab. Why does the Province need to meddle in Civic affairs?
I could maybe see a role for an "approve-only" Board. Like I can imagine a scenario where the Municipal Board can choose to approve a project unjustly rejected by a municipality (e.g. local councillor votes down project because it's across the street from their house), but it should never be able to kill a project already approved by the local government.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 8:27 PM

From what I understand it's a non-elected, appointed board by the Provincial Government. Nothing sounds good about that.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
yeah Mr anti-PC, they are so against housing! I have never in my 49 years living seen more construction of multi family & single family than what is going on now and past 5 years. Pembina has at least 6 multi stories happening. The suburbs of Amber trails, Sage Creek, Bona Vista, Bridgewater are all booming with construction. yup, the PC gov't hate new construction, yup yup yup
Right then why completely reject a proposal instead of downsizing it? I’m sure a more suitable compromise should have been made rather then have an all or nothing approach.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
The entire Waverley West project was started by the NDP government, in collaboration with Ladco. In fact, all of the suburbs that you mention were created while the NDP was in power.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
The entire Waverley West project was started by the NDP government, in collaboration with Ladco. In fact, all of the suburbs that you mention were created while the NDP was in power.
Not to get too nitpicky, but I recall that one of those, Amber Trails, got going in the 90s during the Filmon PC years (although when it was initially approved, I don't know... might well have been during the Pawley government). But of course Amber Trails didn't really hit high gear until the 2000s when the Doer NDP was in office.

But generally yes, it does seem that the recent suburban booms have coincided with NDP governments. The 70s (Schreyer) and 80s (Pawley) for sure, then very little development of any kind during the Filmon (PC) years, then another boom during the Doer and Selinger years.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:43 PM

Posted this on the Canada addictions thread but thought it would be very relevant here as well. Amazing documentary by APTN about 3 former gang members discussing the root causes of gang culture, social issues, and trauma presented in Winnipeg's Indigenous community. It really highlights how most people didn't choose to be in gangs rather it was because their relatives or parents were affiliated with the gang beforehand so the children were just swept up in the mess. One other thing is one of the former gang members clearly highlights where in the city that we are experiencing lawlessness. There's also some incredible shots of Winnipeg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=marQ...annel=APTNNews

I wish the video delved more on the infrastructure decaying and the lack of responsibility of all 3 levels of government, but still very important to know what is occurring within the communities struggling the most.

Last edited by thebasketballgeek; Dec 22, 2022 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Fixed URL (hopefully)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:48 PM
There is always a way

Quote:

Maybe the "fuckup" is the feature and not the bug. Seems like it was designed to be shitty.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Posted this on the Canada addictions thread but thought it would be very relevant here as well. Amazing documentary by APTN about 3 former gang members discussing the root causes of gang culture, social issues, and trauma presented in Winnipeg's Indigenous community. It really highlights how most people didn't choose to be in gangs rather it was because their relatives or parents were affiliated with the gang beforehand so the children were just swept up in the mess. One other thing is one of the former gang members clearly highlights where in the city that we are experiencing lawlessness. There's also some incredible shots of Winnipeg.

Video Link

Link below if video isn't playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=marQ...annel=APTNNews

I wish the video delved more on the infrastructure decaying and the lack of responsibility of all 3 levels of government, but still very important to know what is occurring within the communities struggling the most.
Video no longer available.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 4:11 AM

The Convoy is coming to downtown Winnipeg in late February. This just might be the long-awaited impetus for a downtown revival.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The Convoy is coming to downtown Winnipeg in late February. This just might be the long-awaited impetus for a downtown revival.
What next

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 9:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Freedum
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 12:31 AM

^ditto that

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 4:43 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I've been hearing rumblings that it may have been "cancelled" by the head honchos of that group, due to in-fighting and division within that organization.

I'll believe it when I don't see them on the legislative grounds.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I've been hearing rumblings that it may have been "cancelled" by the head honchos of that group, due to in-fighting and division within that organization.
I'm not sure if it's true but that would make sense for a group whose "agenda" seems to be simply to cause chaos.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan