HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 5:31 AM

I guess some HQ operations are just more significant than others. ExxonMobil has nominally been headquartered in Irving for two decades or so. I don't think the HQ staff there ever exceeded 300 people. Almost all significant activities that might be associated with a HQ operation were taking place in the Houston area or in major financial centers like New York. Boeing HQ in Chicago has/had a headcount of about 400 people and never contributed much to the Chicago economy. Irving/Dallas and Chicago are not going to notice much of a change after losing HQ status. Oracle named Austin their HQ a year or two ago. Oracle had already created several thousand jobs at their new Austin campus, and supposedly that number was set to double as a result of the HQ relocation. Sounds impressive, and I guess it is. Still, I wonder how much WFH is going to impact these plans. I am more and more convinced that the conventional office work model has been turned upside down. Covid was just the catalyst to speed up this process which was well underway before the pandemic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions