HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:56 PM

The 21 winners of the Build Back Better Challenge grants were just announced. Although the University of Alabama was not in the final group, the Tuscaloosa Innovation District project will move on. The D.R.I.V.E. grant was well written and was good enough to make the top 60 of 529 applicants from accross the country, so, many components of the grant can still be funded from other sources and the entire grant can be improved to go through another round at a later date. But, the TID was not dependant on this particular grant.

https://eda.gov/news/press-releases/...-announced.htm

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 8:33 PM

By the way, something in the Tuscaloosa Innovation District plan that I think is really neat. As the buildings and facilities are constructed and the District grows, an electric light-rail system will connect the TI District to the UA campus.

Last edited by Packer16; Sep 3, 2022 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
By the way, something in the Tuscaloosa Innovation District plan that I think is really neat. As the buildings and facilities are constructed and the District grows, an electric light-rail system will connect the TI District to the UA campus.
This is awesome! I've always thought that a street car connecting Downtown and campus would be really cool, but I just considered it a pipe dream. Hopefully this goes straight down University Blvd. It would certainly give T-town a nice boost in the charm department. =)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 7:49 PM

Top 100 worldwide Universities for granted US Patents coming in at #78. Ahead of LSU, Arkansas, and Missouri.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://academyofinventors.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/8.17.2022-Top-100.pdf

On a separate note. US News rankings come out next monday. How far do we think we are going to fall? It's a given every year it seems. Let's just go ahead and make peace with it I guess. Also interested to see the stats for the incoming freshmen

Last edited by chadinhsv; Sep 7, 2022 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
Top 100 worldwide Universities for granted US Patents coming in at #78. Ahead of LSU, Arkansas, and Missouri.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://academyofinventors.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/8.17.2022-Top-100.pdf

On a separate note. US News rankings come out next monday. How far do we think we are going to fall? It's a given every year it seems. Let's just go ahead and make peace with it I guess. Also interested to see the stats for the incoming freshmen
Great!! One of the five campuses in the TI District will be called the "Make It" Campus. It will be devoted to turning these ideas into marketable products.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Great!! One of the five campuses in the TI District will be called the "Make It" Campus. It will be devoted to turning these ideas into marketable products.
Perfect. Looking forward to all of it coming together

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 1:42 PM

Quote:

Here it is. Just as I thought. Now tied with UAB at #137, behind Samford

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:

Here are the UA numbers. 322 National Merit Finalists (Impressive). Haven't seen anything related to graduate school numbers. Very slight increase in in-state students which is good but I'd like to see more

https://tuscaloosathread.com/ua-brea...ecord-numbers/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:

This is another reason why US News and WR college rankings are a "joke". Loaded with BS.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/11/media...ngs/index.html

Last edited by Packer16; Sep 12, 2022 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 8:38 PM

Quote:
This is another reason why US News and WR college rankings are a "joke". Loaded with BS.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/11/media...ngs/index.html
Good article. Here is another one

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...rankings-2023/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:08 PM

Like it or not, it's all for PR, and I think Witt understood that very well. Bell obviously doesn't subscribe to the same line of thinking.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 6:16 PM

More information on the DRIVE grant and the Tuscaloosa Innovation District. This is the first time that Dr. Russel Mumper has mentioned the TID to a media source, so, that is progress. (Remember, the DRIVE grant would be headquartered in only one of the five campuses of the TID. Also, it would only be a small part of the Mobility Campus). It's good to know that the DRIVE grant still has a chance for government funding. There are other ways to get funding. I know that the University is making progress in looking to government, corporate, and private sources to help get the TID off the ground. I expect more news on that to come.

https://tuscaloosathread.com/ua-miss...n-bbb-funding/

Last edited by Packer16; Sep 14, 2022 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 6:37 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:09 PM

As usual, Packer pulls through to give us ammo. Thanks Packer

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 8:39 PM

Quote:
As usual, Packer pulls through to give us ammo. Thanks Packer

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:45 AM

We were already tied with U Ain't Bama

Quote:

I read the room and stayed a way for a long time. But I was curious how you guys reacted to the latest USNWR ranking and the annual, "this is the most diverse and academically talented class in UA history."

First, we were already tied with UAB last year.
Second, UA and UAB moved up 3 slots among public universities, however, they remained tied at 137 among ALL universities in the nation. Auburn remained #42 among publics, but advanced to #97 among all universities.

Third, the only way that Stuart Bell could claim that this Fall 22 first time student class was the most diverse first time student class in UA history is that the percentage of new students choosing not to identify with a race ("Unknown") increased dramatically from only 0.6% to over 13%. There was actually a very slight decrease in the percentage of Blacks among first time students, and the percentage of Asians and Latinos seemed to stay the same.

Fourth, the only way he can claim that the Fall 22 class was the most academically talented class is by only paying attention to the total number of top students such as the National Merit Scholars. We had an increase in National Merit Scholars last year, and the top 75th ACT percentile stayed at 31. However, the avg ACT for Fall 21 dropped a full point, from 27.1 to 26.1, and the bottom 25th ACT percentile dropped from 23 to 21.

In fairness to UA, the quality of Auburn's Fall 21 class also dropped dramatically. Its avg ACT dropped almost a full point, 0.9, and its 25th to 75th percentiles dropped from 24 - 31, to 23 to 30. Auburn seems to have also chosen "growth" as the answer to its financial stresses. I have looked at other SEC schools, and have not found similar drops in incoming student quality as we see at UA and Auburn.

As for the percentage of in state students in the first time Fall 22 class, it actually dropped from Fall 21, even as the total number increased given the large increase in the total number of first time students from Fall 21 to Fall 22. Because the total number of out of state students increased even more than the number of in state students, UA is even more of an out of state school this Fall.

Finally, neither UA nor Auburn have released data for actual avg student quality for this Fall's class.

I found the data below at the OIRA sites on both UA and Auburn's websites, and of course the USNWR rankings are from the annual USNWR Best Colleges. I never claimed USNWR rank tells the full story, but it does have mostly very specific, objective criteria. Looks like UA is trying to improve Faculty Resources based on improvement in that ranking from Fall 21 to Fall 22.

I tried to present the data below in a more readable form, but it changed the columns back to the original once I clicked Save.

ACT 25th – 75th percentile UA Auburn
2016 23-31 24-30
2017 23-32 24-30
2018 23-31 25-30
2019 23-31 25-31
2020 23-31 25-31
2021 21-31 24-30

Focus on UA:
UA 2022 2021
First Year Undergrad Enrollment 8037 7593
In state enrollment 2799 2851
In state % 34.83% 37.55%
Out of state enrollment 5183 4693
Out of state % 64.49% 61.81%
White 72.6 84.9
Black 12.2 12.4
Unknown 13.3 0.6
Total Enrollment 38645 38320
Out of state 55.9 55.7
White 78.9 81.7
Black 12.8 12.7
Unknown 3.8 0.6

USNWR Ranking (I was unable to find all of Auburn's rankings in the particular USNWR categories for 2022)

UA 2023 2022 Auburn 2023 2022
Public 64 67 42 42
National 137 137 97 99
Outcomes Ranks 217 199 116
Faculty Resources 198 255 182 176
Financial Resources 286 179
Expert Opinion 3.2/5 3.3/5
Student Excellence 104 100
Alumni Giving 29 30 56

I want to reiterate that I think anyone of high intelligence can earn an excellent education at UA, particularly via the Honors Program. However, the lower end of the student body is dragging the academic reputation down. I don't see how anyone can deny this. DEI is not the direct cause of this. I think the obsession with growth is the main culprit, however, DEI discourages raising of standards, and is a large drain on precious financial resources, not to mention, a big obstacle to free speech and the hiring of academics based on quality. Each UA applicant must prove commitment to DEI. It makes absolutely no sense that Offices of DEI thrive across the so called conservative South. Our leaders are either ignorant about the real nature of DEI, or they are scared of being called racist.

Last edited by atlanta68; Sep 30, 2022 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:34 PM

Atlanta68: Thank you for the research and data. As much as I hate to say "I told you so" to certain groups, COVID did an absolute number on kids over the past 2 years. Nationwide, but it hurt poorer areas the most. Just look at the Math and Science drop in the link below from Alabama:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profi...4tuQYK7O46Yb6I

Given this information, it is not surprising that both UA and AU suffered with in-state recruitment and ACT/SAT/Grades of incoming freshmen. As we all know, UA is at a disadvantage compared to AU when it comes to reputation. UA is supposed to be seen (fairly or unfairly) as the flagship school that educates the state. Well if the state produces crap, UA will have to look at other ways to produce a quality product; therefore, increase out-of-state. We also get crapped on because we have lower admissions. It seems to me UA is in a no-win situation. They will say "You should educate the state" and we respond with "Ok, but we will have to drop the standards in order to do that." USNEWS and every other non-relevant ranking system sees the drop in standards and automatically comes to the conclusion that we are a "bad school" and it just cycles over and over. So pardon me, if I don't put an ounce of faith into these publications when I know that the students we currently have are kicking butt during competitions with other higher ranked schools and after college when they graduate.

For the DEI comments. I agree with you as I have said before in thinking DEI is basically worthless and just something to make a certain group happy. I want the University to be welcoming to ALL groups, but feel like schools and corporations are going way overboard with this stuff and is only dividing us.

THe only thing I'm hesitant about right now is that they haven't announced the graduate school numbers like they have in years past. This makes me believe the numbers are not as good as previous years and may have dropped a little. We need those grad school enrollment numbers to keep increasing so we can get those research dollars that separates some of these schools. A lot of these numbers haven't come out yet and will wait until the OIRA updates using 2022 numbers

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Atlanta68: Thank you for the research and data. As much as I hate to say "I told you so" to certain groups, COVID did an absolute number on kids over the past 2 years. Nationwide, but it hurt poorer areas the most. Just look at the Math and Science drop in the link below from Alabama:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profi...4tuQYK7O46Yb6I

Given this information, it is not surprising that both UA and AU suffered with in-state recruitment and ACT/SAT/Grades of incoming freshmen. As we all know, UA is at a disadvantage compared to AU when it comes to reputation. UA is supposed to be seen (fairly or unfairly) as the flagship school that educates the state. Well if the state produces crap, UA will have to look at other ways to produce a quality product; therefore, increase out-of-state. We also get crapped on because we have lower admissions. It seems to me UA is in a no-win situation. They will say "You should educate the state" and we respond with "Ok, but we will have to drop the standards in order to do that." USNEWS and every other non-relevant ranking system sees the drop in standards and automatically comes to the conclusion that we are a "bad school" and it just cycles over and over. So pardon me, if I don't put an ounce of faith into these publications when I know that the students we currently have are kicking butt during competitions with other higher ranked schools and after college when they graduate.

For the DEI comments. I agree with you as I have said before in thinking DEI is basically worthless and just something to make a certain group happy. I want the University to be welcoming to ALL groups, but feel like schools and corporations are going way overboard with this stuff and is only dividing us.

THe only thing I'm hesitant about right now is that they haven't announced the graduate school numbers like they have in years past. This makes me believe the numbers are not as good as previous years and may have dropped a little. We need those grad school enrollment numbers to keep increasing so we can get those research dollars that separates some of these schools. A lot of these numbers haven't come out yet and will wait until the OIRA updates using 2022 numbers

Hate to be Debbie downer, but the Graduate Student enrollment did drop sharply from Fall 21 to 22. See https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/613f...%20by%20Campus TableE13 vs. https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/631b...%20by%20Campus Table E13

I know Stuart Bell has to put a positive spin on the data, however, he is outright misleading alumni with his over the top rah rah, things are going just swell propaganda.

Last edited by atlanta68; Sep 30, 2022 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
Hate to be Debbie downer, but the Graduate Student enrollment did drop sharply from Fall 21 to 22. See https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/613f...%20by%20Campus TableE13 vs. https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/631b...%20by%20Campus Table E13

I know Stuart Bell has to put a positive spin on the data, however, he is outright misleading alumni with his over the top rah rah, things are going just swell propaganda.
Well I stand corrected. I didn't realize the 2022 numbers were out yet. Yeah, that is pretty damn disappointing. Disappointed in the in-state numbers just as much as the graduate student decline. Even with more than generous scholarships for lower performing in state students we can't seem to attract them.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Well I stand corrected. I didn't realize the 2022 numbers were out yet. Yeah, that is pretty damn disappointing. Disappointed in the in-state numbers just as much as the graduate student decline. Even with more than generous scholarships for lower performing in state students we can't seem to attract them.
In fairness, we are attracting a lot of in state students, certainly more than a few years ago, however, we are getting even more out of state students than ever. I am not opposed to the strategy to attract a lot of out of state students. But I think it is crucial to dominate in state recruiting of the highest quality students, and not have to rely on lower tier students in or out of state to pay for the generous schollies for the elite students. UA needs to attract elite and higher than average (Auburn seems to excel at attracting the above average, but not elite students) students via greatly improved academic rep, and not just generous scholarships.

Last edited by atlanta68; Oct 1, 2022 at 1:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast