HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I wore a mask all the way on the walk to drop my kids off at school this morning.

Not to virtue signal, but because it was 4 fucking degrees with a wind-chill of -10.

Maybe this outdoor masking thing ain't such a stupid idea after all.
Just wear a Buff. Much more comfortable than a mask that hooks over your ears.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, below 40F I find it pretty comfortable to walk around with it on. Especially cloth masks. In general, people around here seem to wear them outside more when it's colder. I haven't worn a scarf since pre-pandemic partly because the mask has eliminated the need for it.
Companies in the scarf business are getting screwed.

Maybe now is the time to pour money into the stock of companies that make scarves?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I wore a mask all the way on the walk to drop my kids off at school this morning.

Not to virtue signal, but because it was 4 fucking degrees with a wind-chill of -10.

Maybe this outdoor masking thing ain't such a stupid idea after all.
You guys don't have this cylindrical scarf-replacement thingy that's super useful and that everyone (in Quebec at least) has as standard winter equipment?

Not sure how it's called in English. ("Neck-hider" in French.)

Lately, every time I've walked to a store, I keep my "hat" (that's the right word for a tuque?) and I just keep that cylindrical-scarf thing as a "mask", and so far all employees everywhere have accepted to consider it a mask.

(Too annoying to get the mask's handles behind the ears when you're already dressed with tuque and neck-hider over it!)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
We may be talking about the same thing

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I'm the opposite. i hate things that go around my neck.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You guys don't have this cylindrical scarf-replacement thingy that's super useful and that everyone (in Quebec at least) has as standard winter equipment?

Lately, every time I've walked to a store, I keep my "hat" (that's the right word for a tuque?) and I just keep that cylindrical-scarf thing as a "mask", and so far all employees everywhere have accepted to consider it a mask.

(Too annoying to get the mask's handles behind the ears when you're already dressed with tuque and neck-hider over it!)
That would be accepted as a mask everywhere down here. I guess it doesn't get as cold down here, so the mask is useful for performing the function of a scarf or face/neck warmer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:15 PM

My partner and I caught this on the local TV news last night. We were laughing, the guy obviously has issues.
Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:22 PM
The City

^ That guy is a belligerent moron.

However, people standing around outdoors with masks on (when its warm outside) are pretty much idiots as well.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That would be accepted as a mask everywhere down here.
Same here so far, with the exception of hospitals, health clinics, etc. where they insist on giving you a brand new mask every time and you have to take theirs (surgical blue ones).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
We may be talking about the same thing
These things:
https://www.buff.com/

They’re Spanish apparently, but I’ve got a couple from Austria where everyone wears them skiing. But the point is they’re good in hot and cold, as a neck warmer, headband, sun protection, etc.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:39 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:

Quote:
These things:
https://www.buff.com/

They’re Spanish apparently, but I’ve got a couple from Austria where everyone wears them skiing. But the point is they’re good in hot and cold, as a neck warmer, headband, sun protection, etc.
In the Southeast United States, we call these gaiters. Some places won't accept them as meeting their masking requirements. It's not really an issue in most of the southeast, where masking isn't required or enforced, unless you enter a city. Here in suburban Atlanta, it's rare to need a mask, but you will need one if you go into the city of Atlanta.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:15 AM

I guess there is no covid in suburban areas.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
In the Southeast United States, we call these gaiters. Some places won't accept them as meeting their masking requirements. It's not really an issue in most of the southeast, where masking isn't required or enforced, unless you enter a city. Here in suburban Atlanta, it's rare to need a mask, but you will need one if you go into the city of Atlanta.
I'm familiar with the name, but these are also a specific type that's really useful for this sort of thing because they're comfortable and not too warm. Totally different than the fleece ones you get at Patagonia or North Face or wherever.

It's what I used as a "mask" in Jackson Hole last winter (Teton County went crazy over Covid) and it was accepted.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:32 PM
The City

wrong thread

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the covid death rate discussion has been moved to the covid thread in the CE toilet.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=241619

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:29 PM

COVID numbers are falling here, as they are across the U.S. now. We're back to averages from about December 28, so we're a little behind some other parts of the Northeast. Still a little over twice the number of cases as prior to the Omicron wave, though I would expect within another three weeks or so the local wave will be over.

Looking at national numbers, it seems the first metros to have a full recovery are Cleveland and Baltimore, with DC not far behind. Cuyahoga County is down to only 35 cases per 100,000, and still dropping! The actual case total there is much, much lower than the rolling average because of how quickly the numbers are going down (only 91 cases across a county of 1.3 million yesterday!). Cleveland was an early metro for Omicron, with the spike before Christmas. I'm going to continue watching the area, because I'm interested to see how low post-Omicron case counts can get.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:48 PM

"Omicron 2: Electric Boogaloo."

I'm really sick of this movie franchise.

Watch, But Don't Worry Yet, About New Omicron Subvariant

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
COVID numbers are falling here, as they are across the U.S. now. We're back to averages from about December 28, so we're a little behind some other parts of the Northeast. Still a little over twice the number of cases as prior to the Omicron wave, though I would expect within another three weeks or so the local wave will be over.

Looking at national numbers, it seems the first metros to have a full recovery are Cleveland and Baltimore, with DC not far behind. Cuyahoga County is down to only 35 cases per 100,000, and still dropping! The actual case total there is much, much lower than the rolling average because of how quickly the numbers are going down (only 91 cases across a county of 1.3 million yesterday!). Cleveland was an early metro for Omicron, with the spike before Christmas. I'm going to continue watching the area, because I'm interested to see how low post-Omicron case counts can get.
That's really interesting. Cuyahoga County peaked before NYC.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:53 PM
video et taceo

Denmark is lifting all restrictions on February 2.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Denmark is lifting all restrictions on February 2.
I thought they were pretty much open?

Or was it like the UK, where technically there were places where you were “required” to wear masks but if you just didn’t nobody said anything?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions