HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:10 PM

*edit* on a positive note for St. B, the notices are up for that residential project on the lot beside the Marion legion. should be a nice transformational project for that strip.

Last edited by Jeff; Mar 1, 2021 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 9:03 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the all-knowing and seeing board of the St. B hospital must have infiltrated into his freethinking ways. i have an old-timey family member on that board and they are capable of many things if their pastoral view of St. B is threatened even if they have never lived in the area or even drive through it on a monthly basis.
I think that's perfectly plausible, but I've seen a lot of FB chatter, the SFM got involved and lobbied him hard, most of my franco friends know next to nothing about the development but they all oppose it based on nothing but, anglo bad, franco good. It's very tiresome. They're all on some weird quixotic quest against enemies of the community that don't exist and for some reason all believe that the developer in this case intends on tearing down the old city hall. It's truly bizarre.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think that's perfectly plausible, but I've seen a lot of FB chatter, the SFM got involved and lobbied him hard, most of my franco friends know next to nothing about the development but they all oppose it based on nothing but, anglo bad, franco good. It's very tiresome. They're all on some weird quixotic quest against enemies of the community that don't exist and for some reason all believe that the developer in this case intends on tearing down the old city hall. It's truly bizarre.
All the mid-30s hardcore franco St. Boniface stock I know are very pro-urban anywhere else in the city but completely and unabashedly against any development along Provencher and Old St. Boniface. When you ask them why, they just say, "That's how it's always been!" and that's how they want it to stay.. much perplexing

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
All the mid-30s hardcore franco St. Boniface stock I know are very pro-urban anywhere else in the city but completely and unabashedly against any development along Provencher and Old St. Boniface. When you ask them why, they just say, "That's how it's always been!" and that's how they want it to stay.. much perplexing
It's true, a friend of a friend is a Franco-Manitoban. She has never actually lived in St. B and to my knowledge, she has never demonstrated any interest in these types of issues before. But I just saw her on social media speaking out against this project as though it's some sort of attack on Franco-Manitoban culture and history.

Now that this is becoming a hot-button emotional issue, the project is probably doomed.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:12 PM

^^^ yeah it's sad to see cause the naysayers will succeed in derailing this project and the firehall will probably become condemned and need to be torn down by the time they wipe their tears caused by this proposal. The chocolatier's mural will be safe and mature trees will fill out on the empty lots and people will be free to go write poetry in their shade about how things used to be.... (only half joking)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

then move the project to the bay building

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:30 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's true, a friend of a friend is a Franco-Manitoban. She has never actually lived in St. B and to my knowledge, she has never demonstrated any interest in these types of issues before. But I just saw her on social media speaking out against this project as though it's some sort of attack on Franco-Manitoban culture and history.

Now that this is becoming a hot-button emotional issue, the project is probably doomed.
I'm a francophone, went through dsfm, still do a lot in the community, and treasure the culture and the language and the neighborhood in St B as much as the next guy. I cannot, however, for the life of me understand why other members of the community are so radically opposed to anything that resembles proper development, often times development that would only be beneficial to the community.

I have two theories to explain this, but they're probably inadequate.

Firstly, any alterations to the physical landscape and built environment represent not only an attack on the culture but on every community member's subjective identity. The only way to ensure the health and vitality of the community is to preserve the stasis of the built environment and viciously oppose any changes, unless they are proposed by enlightened and approved members of the community.

Second, I think the drivers of this and other similar mobilizations of the NIMBY community do it not out of actual principal or actual desire to stop this, but out of a desire for attention and to maintain their status in the community. It's almost like this is some sort of religious duty to signal their piety to other members of the community.

These are obviously just simplistic explanations, but it does help to understand the situation. Theres a whole crowd of the usual suspects, who basically control cultural discourse in the community, whose approval you must seek if you want the blessing of the community for whatever it is you wanna do.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:09 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Andy's description of NIMBY is perfectly applicable to those who oppose density and change in their neighbourhood. It is an absolutely necessary evolution in a modern and growing city and it is completely unreasonable to expect your community will not evolve and contribute to that need.
They could as easily say that evolution, growth and modernity require urbanists to accept sprawl and that it is completely unreasonable to oppose suburban expansion in a modern and growing city.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:36 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I would encourage anyone who feels strongly about supporting the redevelopment of the old St.B City hall site to write Matt Allard.

He is under lots of pressure to kill the project.

The Manitoba Possible (formerly Society of Manitobans with Disabilities) redevelopment plans for the vacant land behind the old St.B city hall has met with much opposition from the local Franco Manitoban community.

Knowing the people behind the proposal I am obviously biased, but I think it's a good project that will enhance a community asset.

The development will restore the century-old St.B Firehall that has been sitting empty for a decade (to the point that the building is so dilapidated that it will otherwise be condemned), the new development won't touch the old St.B city hall but will rather make it a focal point for gathering, and it will add much-needed housing and retail to the area creating opportunities (work/housing) for Manitobans with disabilities.

The root of the problem is that the groups currently occupying the site don't pay market rent so they are fighting hard to stay.

The St.B City hall building in its current form is falling apart because it does not take in enough income to cover the expenses of a 115-year-old building.

This is why the city decided to sell the building.

The established groups would like to continue staying rent-free because of their heritage/entitlement to the site.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 2, 2021 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:09 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I REPEAT: THE OLD ST.B CITY HALL AND FIREHALL WILL NOT BE TORN DOWN.

People are inventing their own stories.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:21 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
then move the project to the bay building
The Bay is simply wayy too big for a non-profit to operate.

Although, I think the St.B City Hall conversation is a foreshadowing of what will happen with the Bay.

Redevelopment schemes for the property Vs. keeping the building as a museum piece.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:29 AM

I don't want to say I've given up on St. B... but it is quickly becoming that place across the river with a hospital. It's too bad, as it is unique with tons of potential, and I respect the right of citizens to have things a certain way. I also feel like the ship has sailed on St. B becoming anything special. It just is what it is. Some slow incremental improvements will happen. It'd be great to have a "French Quarter" there, but perhaps dollars and ingenuity are better parked in St. Norbert. No hyperbole, Fort Richmond has a growing cultural flair, the U of M is what it is... U of M to the edge of town south could be really neat. The natural bones are perhaps weaker, but the desire to re-imagine is tenfold greater it would seem.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:35 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

There are definitely well-entrenched political forces that work to keep Old St.Boniface the way it is.

Francophone politicians jostling to curry favour with their Francophone constituents; an election is always around the corner.

It's a shame, it's not in the city's larger interest.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 2, 2021 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:53 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The Bay is simply wayy too big for a non-profit to operate.
Could be a Museum of Shopping. Each floor representing a different decade until you end up on the roof and there's just a bunch of weeds and a computer terminal set to Amazon.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:55 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Could be a Museum of Shopping. Each floor representing a different decade until you end up on the roof and there's just a bunch of weeds and a computer terminal set to Amazon.
Haha.. the man with the plan. I wouldn't have expected less from your post.

Hopefully, there is still a place to get Jell-O at the top.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 2, 2021 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Haha! Fucking hilarious.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:14 AM

How long has it been since the merger, 60 years. Theyve had a lifetime to figure things out in St. B.

My wife is from st. B. Her whole family lives there. And they are all completely embarassed by the NIMBY organizations in St. B. 2 families live just down the street in the neighborhood north of Provencher and they think this would be awesome. An actual use for the place. I feel like it's those outspoken lunatics that get organized and drive this sort of thing. Those people who are so upset about getting their identity "stolen" 60 years ago.

The rest of her family lives closer to the marion area. And same thing over there. Theyd rather have dilapidated junk houses than anything. Literally. Just leave it as is because that's what St B is. Old houses. They are also embarrassed even to talk about it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:26 AM

Quote:
There are parts of the Smithsonian that are more ridiculous than this. I saw an exhibit there last year on disposable coffee cup lid design through the ages.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I would encourage anyone who feels strongly about supporting the redevelopment of the old St.B City hall site to write Matt Allard.

He is under lots of pressure to kill the project.

The Manitoba Possible (formerly Society of Manitobans with Disabilities) redevelopment plans for the vacant land behind the old St.B city hall has met with much opposition from the local Franco Manitoban community.

Knowing the people behind the proposal I am obviously biased, but I think it's a good project that will enhance a community asset.

The development will restore the century-old St.B Firehall that has been sitting empty for a decade (to the point that the building is so dilapidated that it will otherwise be condemned), the new development won't touch the old St.B city hall but will rather make it a focal point for gathering, and it will add much-needed housing and retail to the area creating opportunities (work/housing) for Manitobans with disabilities.

The root of the problem is that the groups currently occupying the site don't pay market rent so they are fighting hard to stay.

The St.B City hall building in its current form is falling apart because it does not take in enough income to cover the expenses of a 115-year-old building.

This is why the city decided to sell the building.

The established groups would like to continue staying rent-free because of their heritage/entitlement to the site.
Maybe a mansard roof would appease them. That's what they do in St. Norbert.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I don't want to say I've given up on St. B... but it is quickly becoming that place across the river with a hospital. It's too bad, as it is unique with tons of potential, and I respect the right of citizens to have things a certain way. I also feel like the ship has sailed on St. B becoming anything special. It just is what it is. Some slow incremental improvements will happen. It'd be great to have a "French Quarter" there, but perhaps dollars and ingenuity are better parked in St. Norbert. No hyperbole, Fort Richmond has a growing cultural flair, the U of M is what it is... U of M to the edge of town south could be really neat. The natural bones are perhaps weaker, but the desire to re-imagine is tenfold greater it would seem.
Old St Norbert residents are gearing up to fight against what will be a sizeable infill project just north of Lemay. Don't know if they'll be able to round up Markus Chambers in their fight but there's a lot of the same sentiment as in St B there.

http://landmarkplanning.ca/project/s...evelopment.php

Not that I am against well thought out developments but if anyone is more 'right' in their plight, its St. Norbert. They're not opposing a modest infill project on a main arterial road just 3 minutes from Downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan