HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 2:31 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ good stuff.

What neighborhood did you land in?

Just wait til January, it'll get even colder. With snow.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ good stuff.

What neighborhood did you land in?

Just wait til January, it'll get even colder. With snow.
The day I got in town the temperature was 1 factoring in the windchill. Will I notice if it gets much colder or after some point its all just hell? Man, the gf is so ready for some snow, so that will be awesome for a week or two(I can't wait either!).

South Loop...I think? Near the corner of Michigan and 14th street.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 2:52 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
The day I got in town the temperature was 1 factoring in the windchill. Will I notice if it gets much colder or after some point its all just hell? Man, the gf is so ready for some snow, so that will be awesome for a week or two(I can't wait either!).

Given your location, something tells you I'll see you at the Binny's I work at fairly soon... I take it you've already heard about Chicago's dominant liquor store chain? The one I work at is less than a mile from you at Roosevelt and Jefferson.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Oh you'll notice when it's actually cold. Last winter we had HIGHS in the negative teens not factoring in wind chills for like 72 hours straight. The low temps were in the mid -20's. Factoring in wind chill it was like -30 to -40 degrees.

When we get one those cold spells it just goes right through whatever you are wearing then straight through you. After it gets that cold you will actually see ice condensing on concrete surfaces like the back of dehumidifier as the concrete is so cold relative to the warmer (above zero lol) Air rolling in that the humidity just freezes to the concrete or rock.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 8:05 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

Howdy neighbor... I live 2 blocks away (although I'm away right now).

Get yourself a good parka and the cold won't bother you. Long underwear (or just two pairs of pants) and a balaclava help if it gets to -40 or so. Source: wind chill was down to -51 F today at the South Pole.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 12:29 PM

Yeah, although those days in Chicago in January this year were some of the coldest temperatures ever recorded in the city's history. The coldest temperature ever recorded in the city was -27 and that was in 1985. The second coldest temperature ever recorded in the city was -23 which was in January of this year which is what you're talking about - 34 years later.

I had to do this - collect data on the recorded lows for December, January, and February for years 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. That is 351 total days. In those 351 days, the recorded low temperature was below 0 only 15 times or 4.3% of the time. The high temperature only failed to get above 0 once.

Recorded Lows
Below 0 degrees: 15 days | 4.3%
0 to 10 degrees: 46 days | 13.1%
11 to 20 degrees: 68 days | 19.4%
21 to 30 degrees: 124 days | 35.3%
31 to 40 degrees: 87 days | 24.8%
41 to 50 degrees: 9 days | 2.6%
51 to 60 degrees: 2 days | 0.6%
61 to 70 degrees: 0 days | 0%

Recorded Highs
Below 0 degrees: 1 day | 0.3%
0 to 10 degrees: 7 days | 2%
11 to 20 degrees: 28 days | 9%
21 to 30 degrees: 65 days | 18.5%
31 to 40 degrees: 118 days | 33.6%
41 to 50 degrees: 89 days | 25.4%
51 to 60 degrees: 32 days | 9.1%
61 to 70 degrees: 11 days | 3.1%

Fun fact: There have been 132 days with highs above 40 degrees versus 101 days with high temperatures at 30 degrees and below - which is a difference of an entire month. Interestingly, there's been more days above 60 degrees as a high in December, January, and February than there have been days at 10 degrees and below for high temperatures.

Here's the truth: Chicago is cold in the winter and you should have 2 sets of winter type of outerwear. Why? The Midwest weather wise for many months of the year is rather unpredictable. Although Chicago isn't as bad in this regard as other parts of the midwest, it's still unpredictable. I think you can see that above. You could easily have a 3 or 4 day stretch in January where the high temperatures are in the 40s or 50s and then a day later, the high is in the teens or low 20s. Here's another fun fact: in Januaries for 2016 thru 2019, there's been 37 days where the high temperature was between 41 and 60 degrees versus 22 days where the high temperature was at most 20 degrees. You are also in South Loop which is near the lake, and anything near the lake is windier which means a lower wind chill than say somewhere 5 miles west of the lake.

You should expect morning temperatures in the single digits or teens as a precaution with a very small possibility of negative temperatures (i.e. under 5% of days in the last few winters), but don't be surprised if it's 3 straight mornings of a low of 5 degrees and then the next day after the morning temperature is 33 degrees with a high in the 40s for a few days, then back down to the teens. Below 0 in the morning is not super common, but it can happen as you can see above. It won't happen much but you'll experience it a few times a year as a non wind chill temperature. But you know - low temperatures above 30 degrees have occurred over 10 percentage points higher than 10 degrees and below. Again - unpredictable.

It's unpredictable. Have at least 2 types of outerwear for the winter. One for cold but more moderate temperatures and one for very cold temperatures (like a parka as someone mentioned). And it's very possible that you'll randomly have a day or 2 of 60+ degrees and then BAM back down to the 20s or 30s the next day or even lower. Half of the battle is learning how to dress and once you figure that out, you'll be better off. Always check the weather forecast because having a few days of highs in the upper 40s in January in a row means nothing for a few days in the future.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Given your location, something tells you I'll see you at the Binny's I work at fairly soon... I take it you've already heard about Chicago's dominant liquor store chain? The one I work at is less than a mile from you at Roosevelt and Jefferson.

Aaron (Glowrock)
I am just now hearing about it...looks quite large on GoogleMaps! I don't drink much, but I do like a large selection when I do, so we will see.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Oh you'll notice when it's actually cold. Last winter we had HIGHS in the negative teens not factoring in wind chills for like 72 hours straight. The low temps were in the mid -20's. Factoring in wind chill it was like -30 to -40 degrees.

When we get one those cold spells it just goes right through whatever you are wearing then straight through you. After it gets that cold you will actually see ice condensing on concrete surfaces like the back of dehumidifier as the concrete is so cold relative to the warmer (above zero lol) Air rolling in that the humidity just freezes to the concrete or rock.
Dumb question, but do like schools(universities lol) get out when its that cold?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Howdy neighbor... I live 2 blocks away (although I'm away right now).

Get yourself a good parka and the cold won't bother you. Long underwear (or just two pairs of pants) and a balaclava help if it gets to -40 or so. Source: wind chill was down to -51 F today at the South Pole.
I'll take your advice as an expert opinion in that case. I got a balaclava(just heard of that in the last month lol) but I am working out on how to wear it and not look totally weird. I don't think I am using it "right" or something lol

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, although those days in Chicago in January this year were some of the coldest temperatures ever recorded in the city's history. The coldest temperature ever recorded in the city was -27 and that was in 1985. The second coldest temperature ever recorded in the city was -23 which was in January of this year which is what you're talking about - 34 years later.

I had to do this - collect data on the recorded lows for December, January, and February for years 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. That is 351 total days. In those 351 days, the recorded low temperature was below 0 only 15 times or 4.3% of the time. The high temperature only failed to get above 0 once.

Recorded Lows
Below 0 degrees: 15 days | 4.3%
0 to 10 degrees: 46 days | 13.1%
11 to 20 degrees: 68 days | 19.4%
21 to 30 degrees: 124 days | 35.3%
31 to 40 degrees: 87 days | 24.8%
41 to 50 degrees: 9 days | 2.6%
51 to 60 degrees: 2 days | 0.6%
61 to 70 degrees: 0 days | 0%

Recorded Highs
Below 0 degrees: 1 day | 0.3%
0 to 10 degrees: 7 days | 2%
11 to 20 degrees: 28 days | 9%
21 to 30 degrees: 65 days | 18.5%
31 to 40 degrees: 118 days | 33.6%
41 to 50 degrees: 89 days | 25.4%
51 to 60 degrees: 32 days | 9.1%
61 to 70 degrees: 11 days | 3.1%

Fun fact: There have been 132 days with highs above 40 degrees versus 101 days with high temperatures at 30 degrees and below - which is a difference of an entire month. Interestingly, there's been more days above 60 degrees as a high in December, January, and February than there have been days at 10 degrees and below for high temperatures.

Here's the truth: Chicago is cold in the winter and you should have 2 sets of winter type of outerwear. Why? The Midwest weather wise for many months of the year is rather unpredictable. Although Chicago isn't as bad in this regard as other parts of the midwest, it's still unpredictable. I think you can see that above. You could easily have a 3 or 4 day stretch in January where the high temperatures are in the 40s or 50s and then a day later, the high is in the teens or low 20s. Here's another fun fact: in Januaries for 2016 thru 2019, there's been 37 days where the high temperature was between 41 and 60 degrees versus 22 days where the high temperature was at most 20 degrees. You are also in South Loop which is near the lake, and anything near the lake is windier which means a lower wind chill than say somewhere 5 miles west of the lake.

You should expect morning temperatures in the single digits or teens as a precaution with a very small possibility of negative temperatures (i.e. under 5% of days in the last few winters), but don't be surprised if it's 3 straight mornings of a low of 5 degrees and then the next day after the morning temperature is 33 degrees with a high in the 40s for a few days, then back down to the teens. Below 0 in the morning is not super common, but it can happen as you can see above. It won't happen much but you'll experience it a few times a year as a non wind chill temperature. But you know - low temperatures above 30 degrees have occurred over 10 percentage points higher than 10 degrees and below. Again - unpredictable.

It's unpredictable. Have at least 2 types of outerwear for the winter. One for cold but more moderate temperatures and one for very cold temperatures (like a parka as someone mentioned). And it's very possible that you'll randomly have a day or 2 of 60+ degrees and then BAM back down to the 20s or 30s the next day or even lower. Half of the battle is learning how to dress and once you figure that out, you'll be better off. Always check the weather forecast because having a few days of highs in the upper 40s in January in a row means nothing for a few days in the future.
Seriously, thank you for the data! I will show my girlfriend to calm her down a bit. Interesting tidbits there...

Alright alright, sorry guys for derailing the conversation to the weather. I am sure you guys get sick of people talking about it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Dumb question, but do like schools(universities lol) get out when its that cold?
It takes a lot to close school in Chicago, lol. They closed last year when it was -50 w/ wind chill.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Seriously, thank you for the data! I will show my girlfriend to calm her down a bit. Interesting tidbits there...

Alright alright, sorry guys for derailing the conversation to the weather. I am sure you guys get sick of people talking about it.
One thing you'll notice about Chicagoans: we never get sick of talking about the weather.

Welcome! Chicago certainly does get cold but I've always thought it was a bit of a misconception, glad to see some data back it up. A few low points in the winter months but not sustained brutality of single digit temps for months on end the way I think many people imagine it.

Yes, much of the city was closed down for the couple days this past January that it got that cold (schools, universities, private businesses, etc.)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
One thing you'll notice about Chicagoans: we never get sick of talking about the weather.
true.

and as a 4 season bike commuter in chicago, that applies 4-fold for me.

weather is everything when you're out in it everyday for 8 miles every morning and then again every afternoon.

Quote:
Yes, much of the city was closed down for the couple days this past January that it got that cold (schools, universities, private businesses, etc.)
not all of them. my office was open through all of the recent polar vortex non-sense.

in fact, in the nearly two decades that i've been working here, there has only been one single day where my office was closed due to weather, and that was back in the big groundhog day blizzard of 2011.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 23, 2019 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
true.

and as a 4 season bike commuter in chicago, that applies 4-fold for me.

weather is everything when you're out in it everyday for 8 miles every morning and then again every afternoon.

not all of them. my office was open through all of the recent polar vortex non-sense.

in fact, in the nearly two decades that i've been working here, there has only been one single day where the office was closed due to weather, and that was back in the big blizzard of 2011.
Definitely not all, but much of the city was certainly closed, whether officially or unofficially.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:50 PM

Just to pile on. . . you'll know when it's cold here in Chicago. . . we haven't really experienced that this season yet. . . I suspect by mid-February you'll be questioning your relocation decision. . . by mid-June you'll be thankful you survived to enjoy the unparalleled outdoor amenities we have to offer. . .

. . .

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

on the the subject of weather, it looks like we're headed for one of the warmest chicago christmases ever!

the forecast high for wednesday is 52 degrees with 0% chance of precipitation!

this is especially wonderful news for me because Santa is apparently bringing new bicycles for my kids.

i love a good old fashioned white christmas as much as the next person, but for this particular year, the weather gods could not have been more accommodating for us.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 8:13 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Definitely not all, but much of the city was certainly closed, whether officially or unofficially.
Yeah... I was walking around Grant Park and it was desolate. UChicago was closed (which made a lot of people upset...), although a bunch of people still went in. My building had a fire alarm due to a broken water line though, so sucks for the suckers who went in!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 2:07 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
The weather that poster was describing happens once every few decades, nothing about that is normal or expected. In cases like that most schools, workplaces etc call off. It’s rare. Same with snow, you hear all about it, but In reality we rarely get more than a few inches at a time.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:

Welcome! Chicago certainly does get cold but I've always thought it was a bit of a misconception, glad to see some data back it up. A few low points in the winter months but not sustained brutality of single digit temps for months on end the way I think many people imagine it.

I agree - Chicago is cold, no doubt, but it's sometimes overplayed because people will make others believe that the temperatures or wind chills are almost always in the negatives. There are obviously days where it can get pretty cold - and also being right near the lake on cold days does not help at all because of the wind. From a pure temperature perspective in the last handful of years of 351 days, the temperature without wind chill was only in the negatives at any point in the day 15 of those days. You might talk about wind chill which is more than valid. Consider the fact that at 20 degrees, you need a wind of 36 MPH minimum to even get into negative wind chills. At 15 degrees, you need a wind of 15 MPH minimum to hit the negative wind chills. Obviously this happens in Chicago - 114 of the 351 days were between 0 and 20 degrees as a low. If we estimate that 75% of those days had wind chills in the negatives, then we're at a combined 28% or 29% of all winter days in the last handful of years that had temperatures either in the negatives at any point of the day or conditions that made it feel like the negatives at any point in the day. Throw in another 5% for days that felt more like 5 degrees above zero.

It's not a small percentage and it's not super rare but it's also not the most common of conditions either.

As a small aside, I grew up in Minnesota and not even close to the coldest parts of the state. We are visiting Minnesota right now - a part that's a 5 hour drive from Chicago. When we connected in Chicago, it was 55 degrees with no snow on the ground. When we landed in Minnesota, there were at least 4 inches of snow on the ground and it was 35 degrees. Now that 35 degrees is about the average historical temperature of Chicago at this time of year. The difference? Where we are, everyone is really happy about the "warm Christmas" of the mid 30s which is over 10 degrees above average. To give you another idea about this, and again only a 5 hour drive from Chicago - there's been 23 days this year alone where the temperatures were in the negatives. That is over 50% greater than what Chicago has had total in the last 4 years as far as just pure temperature goes.

I'm not here to say Chicago is not cold - because it is. But I also find the coldness overplayed because people will make others believe that it's always in the negatives when it's not or that Chicago gets a ton of snow but it only gets a moderate amount of snow (Boston for example gets more snow than Chicago). Statistically, you have about a 5% chance based on the last handful of years that temperatures will ever reach in the negatives and maybe a 30% or 35% chance total that either temperatures will be in the negatives or that wind chills will be in the negatives at any point in the day (even if just for 30 minutes).

Last edited by marothisu; Dec 25, 2019 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 3:56 PM

I expect global warming to produce more wild swings but for the median line to eventually deliver Nashville's winter here before I die

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest