HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 9:16 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

A bit of a shame if there will be no addition but better that than a horrendous addition that was on offer a few months ago.

Shame they don't use the two tower addition mock-up by Goettsch Partners. I like the massing of their proposal I just felt it could use a different curtain wall.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Aug 31, 2018 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I heard from a source close to this project that the addition will be scrapped and the hotel will be moved to the new tower.
Interesting...perhaps this means we could get a fairly sizable mixed use tower ..wasn't there originally a large tower (kinda looked like a cheese grater) we were all excited about around this location but then plans changed for two 750k towers?... from reading crains today they mentioned one tower at 1.5 mil sq ft of office space and then the hotel component added (assuming there is no tower place on top of union station as the rumor states) we could be looking at something near 1000ft again?... Correct me if I'm mixing up my parcels near union station ..hard to keep track of all this development

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:00 PM
BANNED

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/8/31...ent-new-design

Developers have ‘completely revised’ controversial Union Station addition

Architectural historians—and unamused Twitter users—can exhale a collective sigh of relief knowing that Union Station’s developers have “completely revised” their plans to build a controversial seven-story, hat-like addition atop the landmarked Beaux Arts building.

The team of Riverside Investment & Development, Convexity Properties, and architecture firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz will reintroduce plans to redevelop the historic station at a community meeting set for 6 p.m. Tuesday, September 11 in Union Station’s Burlington Room...

After the first community meeting on June 25, the original proposal was deemed unacceptable by the community …

The updated redevelopment plan is expected to ditch the earlier scheme’s 404 apartments while boosting the number of hotel rooms from 330 to 400.

Given the shape of the existing building and its enormous central skylight, any expansion of Union Station is limited when it comes to potential layouts. It’s likely that the revised proposal will still take the doughnut shape of the June plan or perhaps something akin to two-tower configuration shown in spring 2017.

Meanwhile, the same developers are working to eventually replace an Amtrak-owned parking garage south of the station with a new 1.5 million-square-foot office tower. That plan, which has yet to be shown to the public

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:33 PM

Also heard we are looking at a tower similar in height to 150 Riverside and the height could increase or decrease depending how the 9.11 meeting goes...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 11:06 PM

New renderings for Union Station office tower acquired

Word is hizzoner worked quietly behind the scenes with Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) and Riverside Investment & Development to preserve Union Station and build a new office tower and plaza across the street from the historic train station.

Sneed has also learned an anchor tenant has been already lined up for the building, which will bring several thousand jobs to the city, according to mayoral spokesman Adam Collins.

The new rendering plans will debut at a public community meeting soon before heading to the City Council for approval.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ne...ower-acquired/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
New renderings for Union Station office tower acquired

Word is hizzoner worked quietly behind the scenes with Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) and Riverside Investment & Development to preserve Union Station and build a new office tower and plaza across the street from the historic train station.

Sneed has also learned an anchor tenant has been already lined up for the building, which will bring several thousand jobs to the city, according to mayoral spokesman Adam Collins.

The new rendering plans will debut at a public community meeting soon before heading to the City Council for approval.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ne...ower-acquired/

Anyone knows what the height on this ? This looks exactly like 110 wacker

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 12:57 AM

^Less than 150 N Riverside, but not by much.

It looks like they are still working on the design. I wonder who the tenant is. I would be very surprised if it was Salesforce, but the description certainly sounds like it.

The green space also aligns with one of SF's requests.

Last edited by RedCorsair87; Sep 2, 2018 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
^Less than 150 N Riverside, but not by much.

It looks like they are still working on the design. I wonder who the tenant is. I would be very surprised if it was Salesforce, but the description certainly sounds like it.
Lol I was gonna say that . I think the ppl at West Point and sales force couldn’t strike a deal

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:57 AM

^ and why would you think its sales force again?...it was just a few weeks ago that reports have been they have confirmed to be looking into wolf point south but there was still some things to be worked out with signage and such..i doubt this quickly they change there minds to go to this tower?.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
^ and why would you think its sales force again?...it was just a few weeks ago that reports have been they have confirmed to be looking into wolf point south but there was still some things to be worked out with signage and such..i doubt this quickly they change there minds to go to this tower?.
It’s a major company , and from what I understood in this article I think I will take up majority of occupancy

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:41 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Glad they removed Union Station's hat, but good Lord, that tower is some basic-ass shit. Black Jesus, help these architects find a modicum of non-derivative creativity to make a unique tower. Blarghh.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Glad they removed Union Station's hat, but good Lord, that tower is some basic-ass shit. Black Jesus, help these architects find a modicum of non-derivative creativity to make a unique tower. Blarghh.
I agree bro it’s to damn basic , and I hope they redesign it

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 3:51 AM

It looks like BKL tried to design 110 Wacker. I'm sure they will refine the design. Hopefully something striking like the Viceroy Hotel.

WPS is not the only building SF is considering.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:09 AM

LOL 110 Wacker replica how uninspiring. Give us the SOM proposal instead please!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 5:01 AM

Or it's Google dropping the rumored 5k jobs they have been shopping. I doubt it's Salesforce, Rahm is wayyyyyy more adept at sales than to sell the same product twice.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 6:03 AM

looks like a VE 110 wacker

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Or it's Google dropping the rumored 5k jobs they have been shopping. I doubt it's Salesforce, Rahm is wayyyyyy more adept at sales than to sell the same product twice.
Would kind of be an odd choice for Google since they've so far elected to add to their space in Fulton Market and SB (and a couple others) have no shortage of office space in the hopper they can build for them.

Could be Salesforce kicking tires on a few other buildings. Maybe it's something we haven't heard about yet like a big suburban relo who would like a building literally next to the train station.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:34 PM

^ im surprised this story wasn't a bigger headline in other papers...if its a new corporate headquarter or just a large migration of new jobs in the thousands should be a pretty significant

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Would kind of be an odd choice for Google since they've so far elected to add to their space in Fulton Market and SB (and a couple others) have no shortage of office space in the hopper they can build for them.

Could be Salesforce kicking tires on a few other buildings. Maybe it's something we haven't heard about yet like a big suburban relo who would like a building literally next to the train station.
Amazon jk lol

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:32 PM
The City

It’s Amazon!!!

Ok, probably not. I agree, I doubt SF would make that change so quickly.

But here’s a question: how accurate have Sneed’s rumors been? Because if they’ve already landed an anchor for this office tower, then the tower and the Union Station rehab is a go....and naturally it would once again be dancing bananas time...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive