HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:22 PM
TL;DR

There is supposed to be a groundbreaking on Wednesday for the new street grid.

The medical center is supposed to start in the Fall, but I feel like that is a squishier date...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There is supposed to be a groundbreaking on Wednesday for the new street grid.

The medical center is supposed to start in the Fall, but I feel like that is a squishier date...
The first phase alone would be very impactful: https://www.hpherald.com/evening_dig...847134184.html

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 3:12 PM

31st St bridge is currently being torn down. Yimby is also reporting construction equipment on-site: https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/05/sit...velopment.html

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 3:35 PM

31st street bridge

Wait 31st street bridge over LSD is being torn down? Didn't know that was in the plan.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Wait 31st street bridge over LSD is being torn down? Didn't know that was in the plan.
The bridge over the Metra/IC tracks.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 10:01 PM
TL;DR

I think this is jumping the gun a bit. I biked around the area this morning.

CDOT is rebuilding the 31st St bridge which has been promised for years (it is in really bad shape). The new bridge will look just like the one at Oakwood Blvd.

Farpoint is building a new parking lot for Prairie Shores residents in the wedge-shaped block between Vernon, 30th, Cottage Grove, 29th Pl. Once that new parking lot is done, they can close the existing parking lots south of 30th St and build the new street grid in that area (connect Vernon to 31st, build a new 30th St on an angle, rebuild Cottage Grove & Lake Park).

The construction equipment in the photos is probably just parked over there for now, I do not think construction on the ARC building is imminent.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 7:01 PM
TL;DR

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...evelopers.html

Brief article today with some anonymous developers kvetching about GRIT/Farpoint's inaction at the McCormick Marshaling Yards site.

I'd love another developer to step in if they can get it done, but the idea that this is a slam-dunk project is laughable. Any developer, whether it is GRIT or someone else, would either need to build a deck over the marshaling yards at a tremendous cost, or find another enormous nearby site to park all those trucks and somehow get the neighbors to agree to all those extra truck trips through their community. It's a tremendous challenge.

Clearly GRIT's strategy is to build their Bronzeville Lakefront development and hopefully build enough buzz/demand in this area that a very expensive deck project becomes feasible. This is a long shot - South Loop has far stronger demand, and even there Bob Dunn can't find a way to pay for his deck without billions in state subsidies. I doubt any other developer could do better. The odds are 90% or greater that this site remains a parking lot for at least another decade or two. The fact that none of the three complainers in the article was willing to mention their names is telling.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 6:22 PM

Subcontractor Bidding will finally start this month: https://work.bronzevillelakefront.com/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development