HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I can assure that this is a thing that people do. Especially when it's an international flight, the amount of time it takes someone to clear the border can vary significantly, and sometimes loved ones like to wait over a coffee.
Believe it or not, the airport itself is somewhat of a destination to some, especially people who are driving to the City for a flight who are normally nowhere near an airport of this magnitute. For example, I grew up in a small rural town about 4 hours from Portland, 3 hours from Boise, and anytime we would make the trek to Portland or Boise to drop off, or pick up a relative for a flight, we would park and go inside the terminal. I loved Boise's airport as a kid, because pre-9/11, you could go in and watch the airplanes while we waited. Having shopping, dining and large windows available without having to go through security will draw people in who aren't themselves flying, but families/friends of people flying. Also, arriving travellers sometimes want to grab a bite to eat after the flight, but I know personally, I v-line straight for the security exit area after de-planing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
So there is no post-security grand room? Only that main room that non/travelers can also access? How do you get from C/B to D/E? I was assuming that main area was a place one could sit/eat/wait after they get through security. Major bummer if that grand room is pre-security.
I believe this picture shows the connector hallway from C/B to D/E behind that glass wall.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 2:18 AM

Yep that looks like the connector. Re: the retail and dining locations, I think there will be more options post -security than before, in the 2 lobby areas before you head down the concourse to your gate. And there are still many more options down each concourse. Sounds like only 8 retail/ dining spots plus the mezzanine will be located before security.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 10:52 PM

To be discussed at next week's Port of Portland Commission meeting, there are 21 new concessions (mostly new to the airport) coming to the central terminal in 2024 and 2026:

Quote:
• All About Foods Group, Inc. dba Country Cat (The Country Cat)
• Blue Star Doughnuts LLC (Blue Star)
• Bottle & Press LLC (Straightaway Cocktails)
• Caper’s Café and Catering Co. dba Capers Bistro (Capers Bistro)
• Columbia Brands USA LLC (Columbia Sportswear)
• Freeland Spirits LLC (Freeland Spirits)
• Grassa PDX LLC (Grassa)
• Kure PDX LLC (Kure)
• Latrelle’s Gallery LP dba Stumptown (Stumptown Coffee)
• Lola Bee LLC (Lola’s Café)
• Loyal Legion PDX LLC (Loyal Legion)
• Paper Epiphanies, Inc. (Paper Epiphanies)
• Pendleton Woolen Mills, Inc. (Pendleton Woolen Mills)
• Pilot House PDX LLC (Pilot House)
• Portland Gear LLC (Portland Gear)
• Portland Roasting Holding LLC (Portland Coffee Roasters; two locations)
• Nice Jet LLC dba Sizzle Pie (Sizzle Pie)
• Smith Teamaker LLC (Smith Teamaker)
• SSP America PDX LLC dba Oven & Shaker (Oven & Shaker)
• The Marshall Retail Group LLC dba Hello from Portland (Hello from Portland)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
To be discussed at next week's Port of Portland Commission meeting, there are 21 new concessions (mostly new to the airport) coming to the central terminal in 2024 and 2026:
What a great lineup to represent our Portland and Oregon!

I have to admit though... I've never tried Blue Star Donuts

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 8:32 PM

Yesss Kure has awesome smoothies. Thanks for sharing, fun to see this list. (uncommon - try Blue Star, they are so good. Passionfruit cocoa nib...)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Here Are the Food and Beverage Vendors Landing in PDX’s New Main Terminal
Smith Teamaker, Grassa, Oven and Shaker, and more will open at Portland International Airport by December 2025 at the latest

Soon, travelers headed to Portland International Airport (PDX) will be able to eat wood-fired pizzas made with 70-year-old sourdough starter, drink some of the city’s finest teas, and taste spirits made by lauded Oregon distillers. PDX has unveiled its list of 20 vendors slated for the newly renovated main terminal at the airport — all are Oregon businesses, and 13 are new to the airport.

The new businesses will open between May 2024 and December 2025; of the 20 businesses opening in the pre-security and main terminal areas of the airport, 15 are restaurants, bars, cafes, and tasting rooms.
...continues at Eater Portland.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Sad no more Nike

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Sad no more Nike
Figured Made in Oregon would be back in the central terminal.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:35 AM

They're are a few retail spaces on that map that aren't designated for anything yet, we'll see.. But overall a fun looking terminal!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 11:16 PM

This is a pretty cool short video showing what the progress looks like inside the new terminal (posted 1 month ago). Watching it on YouTube here...

It's supposed to open in 1 year!

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:37 PM

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 6:17 PM

Not looking great for the flight to Seoul either. I now can't see it available for sale before the end of March 2024.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 7:32 PM

That's too bad. Hopefully this changes in the next year or so as covid effects continue to diminish. Pdx supports nonstop service to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Iceland, London... hard to imagine we can't resume a 40 year old flight to Tokyo or elsewhere in Asia. I remember reading a few years ago (before covid) that portland is the smallest market in the U.S. to have nonstop service to both Europe and Asia.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:35 PM

I feel like PDX really needs to step up their game with International travel. With it's stellar reputation, a few upgrades to the International area (or addition of a proper International terminal one day - one can wish), and I feel like PDX can become a very popular hub for international flights in both Europe and Asia.

It's pretty disappointing to see Delta jack up the pricing for tickets to over $10k for the Tokyo route, obviously trying to show low demand so they can get out of it.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:40 PM

Exactly, and SeaTac is basically at max capacity so it just seems a matter of time before some more connections came through pdx. Japan Airlines would be nice since it's a One World partner so it could get feed from Alaska Airlines' pdx hub.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Exactly, and SeaTac is basically at max capacity so it just seems a matter of time before some more connections came through pdx. Japan Airlines would be nice since it's a One World partner so it could get feed from Alaska Airlines' pdx hub.
Not only is Seatac's new international terminal at max capacity, they screwed up the design so it can't even accomodate as many wide body aircrafts that it was originally "designed" for. There is a massive lawsuit between Seatac and the developer currently because of it. This would be a huge opportunity for PDX to step up. Read more about it here...

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:23 PM

As has been said here many times before... PDX really needs to improve the international arrivals experience. But it has a huge opportunity in that Portland is very well located geographically for connecting traffic between the rest of the US and East Asia. The most direct routes between Austin and Tokyo, for example, goes right over Portland.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 9:28 PM

I really don't understand why we don't have many - soon possibly any - routes to Asia. I would think there would be stronger links business-wise.

We are the second largest hub for Alaska. I think PDX would be another option for connections besides SEA.

Last edited by sopdx; May 12, 2023 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 11:20 PM

Starting at 56:40 there's an agenda item regarding purchase of security lanes, which includes an interesting update on the progress made in the made in the last year and what's to come in the next.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure