HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:01 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I look at places like Tokyo, London, Paris, LA, and I am thankful we have such tall structures in comparison. I know they all have their reasons for not being as tall as us, and that's the point. Compared to London or Tokyo we are tiny, but our buildings have some serious height in the CBD.
So tall buildings are an end in themselves?

I've grown out of that phase. Tall buildings are great, but the street level environment is much more important. Lowrise London or Paris are just objectively better built environments than Dubai or Pudong. Skyscrapers have their place (and in a city like Chicago or NY, their place is quite expansive), but that can detract from a city as well. And the highrises districts aren't always the ones you'd want to spend time in. For a local, Midtown might be the worst and least interesting part of Manhattan. That's the difference between a city you'd want to live in and one you want to look at pictures of on SSP.

The worse news is that I don't think Chicago has done a great job with nurturing its street level built environment, at least as long as I've been aware of it (and probably back into the 80s and 70s as well). Especially in the case of big opportunities like Block 37 (a complete failure to do anything that enhances the city).

Look at the photo above... even the new building (which isn't bad in general) has completely botched its lower 3 floors. It also sadly required demolishing 19th century rowhouses. The building to its right (the Fordham) is unadulterated garbage at the bottom, where people actually interact with it, as is the building to the bottom left of that shot.

I also think it's time for Chicago to stop turning its back on its alleys. In the downtown area at least, make them into "mews" (to borrow the London term). Most should be pedestrianized streets with little shops and restaurants and outdoor tables (deliveries and trash collection can happen lower level or overnight). Unfortunately 90% of buildings over the past 50 years have been built in ways that make it impossible to turn these into inviting spaces for people.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Oct 16, 2017 at 8:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

I've grown out of that phase. Tall buildings are great, but the street level environment is much more important. Lowrise London or Paris are just objectively better built environments than Dubai or Pudong. Skyscrapers have their place (and in a city like Chicago or NY, their place is quite expansive), but that can detract from a city as well. And the highrises districts aren't always the ones you'd want to spend time in. For a local, Midtown might be the worst and least interesting part of Manhattan. That's the difference between a city you'd want to live in and one you want to look at pictures of on SSP.

The worse news is that I don't think Chicago has done a great job with nurturing its street level built environment, at least as long as I've been aware of it (and probably back into the 80s and 70s as well). Especially in the case of big opportunities like Block 37 (a complete failure to do anything that enhances the city).

Look at the photo above... even the new building (which isn't bad in general) has completely botched its lower 3 floors. It also sadly required demolishing 19th century rowhouses. The building to its right (the Fordham) is unadulterated garbage at the bottom, where people actually interact with it, as is the building to the bottom left of that shot.

I also think it's time for Chicago to stop turning its back on its alleys. In the downtown area at least, make them into "mews" (to borrow the London term). Most should be pedestrianized streets with little shops and restaurants and outdoor tables (deliveries and trash collection can happen lower level or overnight). Unfortunately 90% of buildings over the past 50 years have been built in ways that make it impossible to turn these into inviting spaces for people.
Completely agree. In fact, there are so many cities far more developed yet lack the amount of skyscrapers that some cities (ie Dubai as probably the best example.) Seoul, Tokyo, are really good examples where they have honestly pathetic skylines, but the city is amazingly lively at the street level almost everywhere in the city. Chicago does have a powerful skyline, however that's mostly because of a few towers, and Chicago is slipping in that regard already compared to many international cities. That said Chicago is making huge strides in developing its vacant lots which is a good start.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 1:52 PM
The City

I think Chicago is mostly quite nice at street level. Ground level retail, clean sidewalks.

I'm not going to keep talking about parking podia because it's a never-ending discussion, but I don't think they are as big a problem as some obsessed people are making them out to be, plus some of the newer developments are doing a better job with them. The street level experience downtown has gotten way the hell better over the past 20 years. Anybody who can't observe that is an absolute buffoon.

Regarding turning alleys into cute little rows of activity? Meh, they tried that in the theatre disctrict and it really didn't work. That may end up happening in Chicago but there doesn't seem to be a market for it yet.

I have an idea: let Chicago develop they way Chicago develops. If you want Chicago to be London* or Paris then just go ahead and live in London and Paris. This preachiness is getting annoying.

* I don't want Chicago to be like London (sorry, never really was impressed by the place when I visited a few years ago)

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I have an idea: let Chicago develop they way Chicago develops. If you want Chicago to be London* or Paris then just go ahead and live in London and Paris. This preachiness is getting annoying.

* I don't want Chicago to be like London (sorry, never really was impressed by the place when I visited a few years ago)
I think it's more about learning from the things Paris and London do well and applying them to Chicago; making Chicago a better version of itself.

I tend to agree that more walkable mid-rise districts with great street interaction are more exciting to me as a piece of Chicago's development than 30+ story developments with lackluster street life (ie. West Loop vs. Streeterville).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:47 PM

THE FUCK...!

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/10/1...nham-lakefront

Chicago’s plan to attract Amazon to the old Michael Reese Hospital site breaks cover

The mixed-use plan is the fourth such development to break cover since Amazon began its HQ2 search

BY JAY KOZIARZ OCT 16, 2017, 11:13AM CDT

Quote:
With Amazon’s October 19th deadline fast approaching, Chicago developers have officially taken the wraps off yet another site looking to lure the tech company’s coveted HQ2 second corporate headquarters to the Windy City. Dubbed the ‘Burnham Lakefront,’ the proposal provides the best look yet at the redevelopment plans for the former Michael Reese Hospital in the Bronzville neighborhood on Chicago’s Near South Side.

Vacant since the hospital was demolished in 2009, the lakefront property was purchased by the City of Chicago to serve as the Olympic village as part of Chicago’s unsuccessful bid for the 2016 summer games. In June, City Hall selected a team led by Farpoint Development and Draper & Kramer to redevelop the site. The joint venture reportedly agreed to pay more than $144 million for the property.

Though the city sale encompassed the 49-acre area occupied by the old hospital plus the 28-acre truck marshalling yards controlled by Chicago’s Metropolitan Pier & Exposition Authority, the future mixed-use campus has grown to 100 acres. The scope of the project also includes an additional connected housing opportunity of 144 acres (34 acres to the immediate north plus 110 acres adjacent to the south).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:53 PM
The City

Insane, my friend, just like the Olympic Village was.

That's why I don't like these fantasy exercises. I like projects based on cold, hard, reality.

We don't know if Amazon will come to this site, let alone Chicago at all...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:53 PM

Damn. If Motor Row weren't already a sleeping giant of a neighborhood, this would kick it into overdrive.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Insane, my friend, just like the Olympic Village was.

That's why I don't like these fantasy exercises. I like projects based on cold, hard, reality.

We don't know if Amazon will come to this site, let alone Chicago at all...
But this site has been about a long term master plan for a while regardless of Amazon.

Just like the Post Office and just like Lincoln Yards.

Amazon choosing Chicago would just be an added bonus to plans already in the works.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:56 PM

I really dig this. If it doesn't happen I still hope SOM is planning something similar for 'the 78.'

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:57 PM

Big...

Quote:
initially expected to feature “more than 5 million square feet” of technology-oriented commercial spaces, retail, homes, and hotel rooms, the plan has been super-sized to include 8 million to 14 million square feet depending on tenant needs and overall market demand.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 6:28 PM

From the Chicago Tribune article

Quote:

In order to overcome perceptions that the site is isolated, the developers are exploring several options to boost transportation, including potentially adding a 31st Street train station and increasing the frequency of service on the South Shore Line, which already runs through the site.
A rapid transit connection to downtown is going to be key.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 6:50 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

I don't think height is "an end". I simply appreciate the vertical view of our city. I think it's visually impressive. I also think an engaging street level is more important.. it will be nice once we marry the 2.

I also agree that our allies are underutilized. I've always dreamed our alleys would have an implemented use like smaller streets in Europe.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Wow sick AF. SOM really knocked it out of the park. I don't see why this sort of development is a pipe dream. Because it's actually good design?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:09 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
THE FUCK...!

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/10/1...nham-lakefront

Chicago’s plan to attract Amazon to the old Michael Reese Hospital site breaks cover

The mixed-use plan is the fourth such development to break cover since Amazon began its HQ2 search

BY JAY KOZIARZ OCT 16, 2017, 11:13AM CDT

If this and the Tribune site happen, the visual shape of Chicago's downtown area will be drastically changed. Hopefully so!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:57 PM

First time poster, long time reader here!

What are the chances that any or all of these mega projects (Lincoln Yards, Trib site, etc.) get built? The city's obviously doing well in terms of corporate investment and expansion, but is there really demand for tens of millions of square feet of office space with or without Amazon?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:09 PM

Reese proposal looks fine.

The city will have an impressive menu of sites to offer Amazon. Want it by the lake? We got that. By the River? Here's a few options to choose from. Directly on top of the metro area's rail transportation hub? Got that too.

We won't loose out for lack of suitable properties.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:28 PM
Biased in a good way?

It kind of reminds me of a less vertical Schuylkill Yards:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=221324

But still, hopefully the likes of Amazon and others occupy these PD's or just supplement demand so we can see downtown continue to get built up this boom and next rather than substituted with distant sites like Reese.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:20 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
It kind of reminds me of a less vertical Schuylkill Yards:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=221324

But still, hopefully the likes of Amazon and others occupy these PD's or just supplement demand so we can see downtown continue to get built up this boom and next rather than substituted with distant sites like Reese.
Way less vertical.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:41 PM

Crains has a rendering for that proposal on Milwaukee from last week:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations