HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 5:40 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

The parking lot behind the Presby apartments at 23rd and Race is starting to look mighty attractive. It and the Mandeville property are the only parking lots left facing the river.

Unfortunately design mistakes of the past come back to haunt us. Had the parking garage for that loft building at 23rd and Arch been better designed, it could've taken some retail infill which would've synergized nicely with River Walk's Giant. Alas, it wasn't and probably won't.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The parking lot behind the Presby apartments at 23rd and Race is starting to look mighty attractive. It and the Mandeville property are the only parking lots left facing the river.

Unfortunately design mistakes of the past come back to haunt us. Had the parking garage for that loft building at 23rd and Arch been better designed, it could've taken some retail infill which would've synergized nicely with River Walk's Giant. Alas, it wasn't and probably won't.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Do we expect this building to have anything fronting JFK other than the entrance? Some retail or a restaurant would really bring something to an otherwise dead area of the city.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:39 PM

Could a mod please tag this as Philadelphia and then delete this comment? This has been sitting in general for awhile now.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 5:21 PM
User Since 2002

"NKF broker Craig Scheuerle said that the tower’s ultimate size will depend on leasing demand but that it is expected to fall between 200,000 and 500,000 square feet. PMC is prepared to break ground once it secures an anchor tenant willing to lease as little as 75,000 square feet, he said."

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200131.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Ground floor site plan ripped from the brochure:

So we're looking at a spec office building here? That's surprising in two ways: (1) we know that the Center City office market sits on the lower end of viability for spec construction (when was the last time a spec office building got built in Center City, anyway?) and (2) PMC is better known as an apartment developer than an office one. I guess that, with respect to the second point, PMC's Aramark project was so successful they want to get more broadly into the office game?
It's not truly spec. They won't break ground until an anchor tenant commits to at least 75,000 sq ft.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 1:53 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I never thought this parcel was big enough to support a tower. Guess I was wrong in the best of ways.
Samuel I. Oshiver called from his grave. He still thinks this should be 63 stories (or 60 on the Pennsylvania Boulevard side). In 1961 his name for this project was Golden City.

There was also a 30-some story proposal from a different developer in 1969. See zoning file archive including both: https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/219-203823.pdf

Discussion in the subthreads of this post at P.I.C.H.: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...0171297938177/

Who the heck was Samuel I. Oshiver you ask? High Priest Of The High Rise: Samuel I. Oshiver | HiddenCityPhila.org

Last edited by Jayfar; Feb 2, 2020 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:26 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Samuel I. Oshiver called from his grave. He still thinks this should be 63 stories (or 60 on the Pennsylvania Boulevard side). In 1961 his name for this project was Golden City.

There was also a 30-some story proposal from a different developer in 1969. See zoning file archive including both: https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/219-203823.pdf

Discussion in the subthreads of this post at P.I.C.H.: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...0171297938177/

Who the heck was Samuel I. Oshiver you ask? High Priest Of The High Rise: Samuel I. Oshiver | HiddenCityPhila.org
Here's a model of that 1968 proposal. The Century 21 Complex

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Here's a model of that 1968 proposal. The Century 21 Complex
Never saw that one before! The monorail is easily my favorite part.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The monorail was meant to go to the Disney hole at what is now known as market east. Big LOL.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:08 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
A few more details of the Century 21 complex here:
https://digital.library.temple.edu/d...id/38774/rec/4

There's a ton of stuff at at newspapers dot com. Search for Century 21, narrowed to select newspapers Inquirer and Daily News, years 1968-1971. Ultimately City approvals came easily, but the partners couldn't agree on the overall development plan and auctioned off the land in early 1971.

Inquirer Mar 14, 1968
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4356...st_complex_on/

DailY News Dec 19, 1970
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4356...ment_partners/

Inquirer Dec 20, 1970
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4356..._land_auction/

Last edited by Jayfar; Feb 3, 2020 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 12:11 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
The monorail itself appears to have been part of an ambitious and totally unrealized transportation plan for the 1976 Bicentennial.

Transit Network For Fete Planned At $324 Million - Inquirer, Oct 15, 1970

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 12:28 AM

Very fascinating, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:09 PM

CDR Submission
22-stories
303 ft tall
24,730 sq ft of office space
275 residential units
PDF here:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20200805...ings-LoRes.pdf

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:09 PM

Shortly than the original renderings, but still a nice design. I'll take it!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:17 PM

I'll take it, nice design.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:28 PM

This building viewed in a vacuum is pretty cool. My issue is where it is located. We will have three blue-glass squares basically sandwiched next to each other, all three within 303-363 feet in height range, then immediately east, Trader Joe's at 316 feet (same thing, blue glass, square).
I guess it is safe to say, the way to maximize ROI in Philly is to build blue-glass towers in the 300-400 feet range. From the north and south, the views will be just... a straight line of blue-glass, a plateau. Not very satisfying from a skyline perspective.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:54 PM

wow, I had no clue about this one!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I like all the curves on this design. 300ft is a good height and anything built taller in the background in the future will not block the views looking east.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Aug 5, 2020 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:15 PM

Very stunning! Philadelphia has been on fire with awesome proposals recently!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
This building viewed in a vacuum is pretty cool. My issue is where it is located. We will have three blue-glass squares basically sandwiched next to each other, all three within 303-363 feet in height range, then immediately east, Trader Joe's at 316 feet (same thing, blue glass, square).
I guess it is safe to say, the way to maximize ROI in Philly is to build blue-glass towers in the 300-400 feet range. From the north and south, the views will be just... a straight line of blue-glass, a plateau. Not very satisfying from a skyline perspective.
Not sure how you'd classify this as a square. It's got some nice curves. Also it's on a tiny wedge of land next to train tracks. I can get on board with quibbling over the glass color, but it's hard for me to view this as anything other than a big win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction