HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Just the review I was expecting from him.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:34 PM
Urbane observer

Kamin offers some insight on the redesign:
As Jahn shrank the design, however, he found that the cubes looked squat. And when a friend of one of his clients suggested that the overhangs made the tower look unstable, all concerned agreed that the time was right for a fresh approach.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:
This residential tower wasn't just shortened. It was transformed from a precarious-looking series of stacked cubes to a more graceful (and stable-looking) silhouette that resembles a subtly sculpted glass vase.
How could he think this is "graceful?" It's a mess. If someone gave me a vase like that, I'd return it.

Still desperately hoping that this gets built, though -- it might be a mess, but it's much better than nothing, and at least it's not boring.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:15 PM

Generic is the first word that pops into my mind with the new design.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Kamin offers some insight on the redesign:
As Jahn shrank the design, however, he found that the cubes looked squat. And when a friend of one of his clients suggested that the overhangs made the tower look unstable, all concerned agreed that the time was right for a fresh approach.
I'm guessing that this individual doesn't know too much about engineering and that we really don't design structures that 'tip over'.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:05 PM
Urbane observer

You misunderstand. No one thought the building would actually be unstable. But one of the ways humans determine whether an object is beautiful is if it looks comfortable in repose. Buildings that deliberately toy with our innate understanding of the physical world are performing a parlor trick, not celebrating our mastery of materials and engineering.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
You misunderstand. No one thought the building would actually be unstable. But one of the ways humans determine whether an object is beautiful is if it looks comfortable in repose. Buildings that deliberately toy with our innate understanding of the physical world are performing a parlor trick, not celebrating our mastery of materials and engineering.
Not really. There's also a fear.

Just like the reason the design for 111 S. Wacker was changed after 9/11.

It's called creativity, like Turning Torso.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
You misunderstand the potential of contemporary architecture and design (look up this guy named Frank Lloyd something).

Anyway, the fact that Kamin gave this particular redesign a positive review should be enough basis for anyone that Jahn needs to get back to the drawing board...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Lots and lots of beautiful design deliberately manipulates the way we perceive the physical world. Like how the subtle angle and vertical lines on the Hancock building "toy" with our perception of it's height when we look up at it from the street.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 11:21 PM

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 11:41 PM

^ a little source inspection gets the url

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 11:50 PM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post

It honestly looks like some 333 Wacker/River Point combo on a cheap, awkward podium

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
It honestly looks like some 333 Wacker/River Point combo on a cheap, awkward podium
I preferred the original but think this will look very good once they figure out how to bring the curved tower shape further down on the south wall of the base. Chicago could use more curved glass, and it's not without precedent – Lake Point Tower, 333 Wacker, Trump, Thompson Center, etc.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 12:59 AM
Development Shill

What the fuck is up with this design? It's all over the place...

The podium is awkward, stumpy, and doesn't work with the rest of the tower(or vice versa I guess). The top section is cutting edge on one side and curvy on the other. It's like a child with ADHD was told to design a building and took 5 hour breaks inbetween drawing sessions while thinking he was drawing parts for 3 different buildings and thought 4 green blocks 10 floors up would look cool.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 1:43 AM

A less distorted render would be really helpful in accurately visualizing the curves and facets of the South/north walls as well as the widening near the top.

This looks like a photo taken from too close with a ton of perspective control applied in post-processing to remove the converging parallels - which I'm totally guilty of doing to my photos when buildings/obstructions prevent me from getting far enough away.

In the digital, where you could take a virtual snapshot from any point in space you'd think a more pleasing, representative view would have been chosen. I'm sure there will be more, better renders, but this one is irking me more than most for some reason.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post

Round the corners where the podium meets the towers....and get rid of the indentation right below where the meet...even that slope out.....then you have a winner.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:23 AM
Urbane observer

Folks who want to study the details a bit may want to look at the large versions of the renderings:

Perspective from northeast
Perspective from southeast

One good question is whether the curved corners will actually have curved glass. The renderings suggest no. I asked the developer about it Monday, and he seemed to indicate it was possible—but that may have been wishful thinking on my part.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 5:14 AM

^Thanks

Hopefully they continue to make refinements.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Steely is correct. The first design was a Chicago building, it was also more cerebral. This one is for consumers but i guess that's the game.
No disrespect to anyone. But I'm saying bs.

Sorry... that was harsh.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:35 AM

Ha! Love the background on the rendering from the southwest – places AT&T Center to the left (south) and Sears/333 South Wacker to the right (north).

Every time I look at the base I can't help but be reminded of the Ebony Building pre-renovation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction