HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Here's an earlier rendering that puts the building in context with Uptown.

New page!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 5:44 AM
H Town Till I Drown

Memorial tunnels are coming along nicely!

Got some of these pictures last weekend when I was in Houston. Really excited for this to be finished so we can get some pictures of downtown & uptown from on top of the tunnels. Just wish they had included a light rail station or something along memorial drive while they were at it. Could have made a nice connection from the downtown lines to the silver line BRT.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 2:24 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I bet the people who live in Tanglewood will love that monstrosity leering over at them.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 5:54 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I assume the owners of the Tanglewood condos were limited by money, because they didn’t put much effort into the design. Or, perhaps they don’t value architecture too much.

Another issue I have with the project is that this will be yet another high rise building built in a single family home residential neighborhood. I hope the city takes into account the traffic impact and the developer needs to make the project pedestrian oriented. Street side retail and nearby bus stops would be nice.

Last edited by Double L; Jul 10, 2022 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I assume the owners of the Tanglewood condos were limited by money, because they didn’t put much effort into the design. Or, perhaps they don’t value architecture too much.
Your assumption is correct.

Quote:
Another issue I have with the project is that this will be yet another high rise building built in a single family home residential neighborhood. I hope the city takes into account the traffic impact and the developer needs to make the project pedestrian oriented. Street side retail and nearby bus stops would be nice.
I was under the impression this is part of the process of building a highrise tower. The traffic study.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 6:43 PM

*delete*

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:

If this is the corner of San Felipe and Sage, there are plenty of bus stops around this lot although no one living here will use them. Also the “sprawl” of this lot makes this high rise probably have the density of your average mid rise building. The price of this lot would not call for a low density single family home or even homes.

Last edited by Cory; Jul 12, 2022 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
If this is the corner of San Felipe and Sage, there are plenty of bus stops around this lot although no one living here will use them. Also the “sprawl” of this lot makes this high rise probably have the density of your average mid rise building. The price of this lot would not call for a low density single family home or even homes.
The new development does not seem that far from the other highrises in that area (is this uptown?). I think those two brown buildings are also condos and went up int he early 80s. The single family owners should not be all that surprised with encroaching high rises, although it seems that their community may be protected. I guess a developer would have to buy out the entire community, which I doubt would happen, anytime soon at least. I don't live in Houston and have only been there twice, so the Houston residents probably have a better idea. I do know that Houston has very lax zoning...

Last edited by DCReid; Jul 12, 2022 at 7:37 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I do know that Houston has very lax zoning...
Yeah but property values, a lot of times, indirectly set zoning and a lot of residential areas still hold on to their deed restrictions not through HOA’s but through the city. The lot faces a 6x4 lane thoroughfare.

Also in defense to Uptown’s towers in the park development style, the city has a residential buffering ordinance for tall buildings next to residential streets.

Last edited by Cory; Jul 12, 2022 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 8:07 AM

1550 on the Green Update

Some skin finally being shown on Skanska's 1550 on the Green courtesy of urbanize713 @ HAIF. Personally excited about this one.

Just a reminder of the design:

https://www.usa.skanska.com/4917dc/s...rop&scale=both

https://www.usa.skanska.com/4917dc/s...rop&scale=both

Three Block Site plan for the mixed-use Discovery West

https://www.1550onthegreen.com/wp-co...er-plan-xl.jpg

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 2:50 AM
Dryer lint inspector

The two surface lots to the west of there are being developed? Any more info on Discovery West?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 7:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

So glad that hideous hotel at disco green is getting covered up finally by that new skyscraper.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
So glad that hideous hotel at disco green is getting covered up finally by that new skyscraper.
Which one do you mean? I think I know but not sure.

Seems like there's also an electrical station somewhere around there that's also an eyesore. I need to get on Streetview and see if it's still there. Haven't been to that part of downtown since 2008. Even then, it was looking nice.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Which one do you mean? I think I know but not sure.

Seems like there's also an electrical station somewhere around there that's also an eyesore. I need to get on Streetview and see if it's still there. Haven't been to that part of downtown since 2008. Even then, it was looking nice.
The building will hug and tower over the Embassy Suites on the same block. Skanska took one for the team. The substation is south of this block across from the Embassy Suites and Hilton Americas.
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/...comment=658462

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 7:04 AM
Dryer lint inspector

That substation is something downtown has to live with. At least it has tall walls blocking view from street level.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The building will hug and tower over the Embassy Suites on the same block. Skanska took one for the team. The substation is south of this block across from the Embassy Suites and Hilton Americas.
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/...comment=658462
The photos on the website look great. Wondering how it will look from the other side, where the Embassy Suites is.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:04 AM

I was looking on Streetview and it looks like the old abandoned hotel downtown is still there (was formerly several hotels). I did a search on it and didn't find anything recent. Anyone know anything about it?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:15 PM
FYHA

MD Anderson South Campus Research Building 5

This is an addition to MD Anderson's South Campus site at Fannin & OST and would also effectively be an extension of TMC|3, which is already under construction on the north side of OST. Like many of the buildings with that project, Elkus Manfredi is the architect.

Renderings provided by Paco Jones on HAIF

Additional screenshots from Highrise Tower on HAIF

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:30 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That looks pretty nice.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 4:51 PM
FYHA

TMC 3

c/o Highrise Tower on HAIF

Collaborative Building:

Parcel J:

Helix Park:

Mixed-Use Garage:

One Discovery Way:

Texas A&M Innovation Plaza

c/o hindesky on HAIF

c/o Highrise Tower on HAIF

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations