HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
we know have a new virus that is deadlier than the flu but one we must learn to live with.
The actual question is HOW to we live with it in ways that allow it to do the least harm ("harm" taken broadly including psychological damage and reduction in happiness).

We differ on the "harm" done by asking adults to pop on a mask going into the supermarket or climbing aboard a bus.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:22 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Little kids don't understand any of this. My 4 yo believes there's a "yucky little bug" and people wear masks so that the "bugs" don't go in you, which isn't that far off from reality.

Kids will be fine. I mean, Cold War kids hid under their desks waiting for the Soviets to nuke them.
Nah, these kids are going to grow up to insist on wearing masks for the rest of their lives and recoil whenever someone dares takes off their mask to take a drink of water.

"Wait, people have... lips... and teeth underneath their masks!? All these years, I had no idea! And wait! Why are the corners of their lips turning up? Is that... could it be? Is that a... smile? I've never seen one in real life before!"

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The actual question is HOW to we live with it in ways that allow it to do the least harm ("harm" taken broadly including psychological damage and reduction in happiness).

We differ on the "harm" done by asking adults to pop on a mask going into the supermarket or climbing aboard a bus.
Masks aren't the solution and people aren't going to wear them indefinitely. I would imagine even in the most liberal area, people are burning out. I saw a lot of 'non compliance' all over the Bay Area.

I was torn on Biden's mandate because while I feel it is overreach, it will force many to get vaccinated...either that or move to Florida and become a cop. That's probably the only solution. Vaccine = work.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:32 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Masks aren't the solution and people aren't going to wear them indefinitely. I would imagine even in the most liberal area, people are burning out. I saw a lot of 'non compliance' all over the Bay Area.
You're jumping off the deep end like 10023 and I want to know who is telling you that it's going to be indefinite? Heck, we stopped wearing masks up here a while ago...ain't coming back . It won't be indefinite. Plus if people are giving up in the Bay Area then that must really mean masks are not going to be indefinite.
Quote:
I was torn on Biden's mandate because while I feel it is overreach, it will force many to get vaccinated...either that or move to Florida and become a cop. That's probably the only solution. Vaccine = work.
Just think if there was a mandate the day after the vaccines were approved we could have moved on, but noooooo the government had to be nice and ask. Then people fought against it, so then the government had to find tricky ways to enforce it. They had to go after people's hobbies and jobs.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:51 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I saw a report on TV the other night that 49% of US kids already have SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. Can't kind a similar number in print to post but if true the horse may be out of the barn already.
Seriously, Howard? You just realized that the "horse is out of the barn" just now?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

really now, CPS? CTU? it HAS to be a PCR test? the rapid antigen ones aren't good enough to quickly differentiate a child's allergy sneeze from a covid sneeze, among a population of people who are by far the most minimally affected by covid in the first place?

it's all so dumb.
^ Fixed that for ya.

I just got an email from our school district that they will continue to COVID test (we do rapid antigen test on site and kids are back in class within 15 min if negative) cases but will no longer notify the entire district about positive cases. They stated that it's not necessary, and they realize that people are getting numb to it all. (ie most of us don't give a shit)

I love when people use common sense!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:09 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Seriously, Howard? You just realized that the "horse is out of the barn" just now?
I'll take a doctor over a pseudoscience practitioner any day of the week. Hopefully "Howard" calls you "Russell". The Canadians know that first name..

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:34 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

jussssss
for a reminder
per WebMD

Common Covid Symptoms

The most common things people who become ill with COVID-19 have include:

Fever or chills
A dry cough and shortness of breath
Feeling very tired
Muscle or body aches
Headache
A loss of taste or smell
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Finally you have accepted it. Excellent. I have a reward!
I will assure you that the masks for kids will only be for a few more months, so don't worry.
Parents are telling them this. It’s obviously not deadly to them.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Little kids don't understand any of this. My 4 yo believes there's a "yucky little bug" and people wear masks so that the "bugs" don't go in you, which isn't that far off from reality.

Kids will be fine. I mean, Cold War kids hid under their desks waiting for the Soviets to nuke them.
Yeah and that whole generation is fucked up.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
And the fact that kids are accustomed to masks is a bad thing, not a good one. I can only imagine the amount of fear and trauma that kids of a certain age (old enough to remember but too young to really understand this) are going to need to work through later.

Yeah I really feel awful for the kids. You, no. The kids, yes. I think it’s safe to say that a not-insignificant number will be deeply affected for life. We moved into a giant house with a large contiguous yard with several other families right before COVID hit. We podded with them and essentially home-schooled for a year while teachers unions fought like hell to keep schools closed. It ended being one of the best years of my life; so our kids, by the grace of God, we’re spared the worst of it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:15 PM

So much misinfo and nonsense. Schools were never "closed". There's zero evidence that a small piece of cloth "scars" kids. Also zero evidence that homeschooling provides greater benefits than traditional schooling. And bringing up "God"...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Schools were never "closed".
they were in chicago.

all CPS schools were fully closed from march 2020 until february of 2021 and CPS only offered 100% remote learning at that time; there were zero in-person options available. my daughter spent the first 2/3 of her year of kindergarten staring into a lap top. how incredibly fucking lame.

for the remainder of the 2021 school year CPS did a podded hybrid model of 1/2 class in school and 1/2 class remote on alternating days.

so far this school year CPS schools have been open all day 5 days a week!

but as i griped about earlier, some of the preventative covid measures are still pretty onerous and stupid.

but at least the schools are finally fucking open 5 days a week again. Allah, Buddha, Jesus, I love you all!!!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
they were in chicago.
all CPS schools were fully closed from march 2020 until february of 2021 and CPS only offered 100% remote learning at that time; there were zero in-person options available. my daughter spent the first 2/3 of her year of kindergarten staring into a lap top.
That isn't a "closed school".

CPS had remote learning, same as every other school district. But the schools were never "closed". In-person learning was temporarily suspended, and everyone shifted to remote learning. Hardly ideal, and horrible for parents, but pre-vax, with mass-deaths, and overwhelmed hospitals, it was the only option.

People forget that before the shift to remote learning, school teachers and administrators were dropping like flies. The remote shift was done very reluctantly, at the beginning. Yeah, later on, the unions took advantage of the situation to endlessly prolong everything.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
That isn't a "closed school".
well, we can play semantics if you really want to, but if i can't send my kids into the physical school building where they are supposed to spend 7 hours every weekday doing school stuff with their teachers and classmates, then that's a "closed school" in my book.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 28, 2021 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:28 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:

My understanding as of October 15th there is no mask mandate except for restaurants and bars for some reason and yeah nobody wears them in there because they are eating and drinking. On transit too but that is a federal requirement and I am happy about that. I do not mind wearing a mask on muni and bart. I really is no big deal.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
well, we can play semantics if you really want to, but if i can't send my kids into the physical building where they are supposed to spend 7 hours every weekday doing school stuff, then that's a "closed school" in my book.
It's not semantics. It's a bad learning environment for most kids, but it isn't a closed school.

There are tons of public schools, even pre-pandemic, that are 100% remote. Virtual schools are a large and growing proportion of K-12 education.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
It's not semantics.
yes it is.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think there have been some periods in this pandemic where public schools in certain places have been closed entirely and no learning was offered - neither in class nor online.

Especially in the early going when in some places they weren't organized at all for online learning and scrambled to set something up.

Obviously that capacity now exists everywhere.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:42 PM
The City

Quote:
It's not semantics. It's a bad learning environment for most kids, but it isn't a closed school.

There are tons of public schools, even pre-pandemic, that are 100% remote. Virtual schools are a large and growing proportion of K-12 education.

Remote learning is trash

Glad my kids aren't doing that (my older son, at the time 11, hated it and almost become depressed. Now he's back in school and much happier)

My kids are loving being back with real other children, instead of staring at them through a screen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions