HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 1:34 AM
Resident Moron

This feels tailor made for lobyists who want to be near the capital. I used to work in the area and nearly bought a condo a very very long time ago at 12th and Guadalupe. Its not a bad area and there is some stuff to do, but its basically a 10-20 minute walk to most of the nightlife.

Rainey is the nightlife and all the good and bad that comes with that.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky Blinder View Post
Hello All, Is it worth buying a condo in this Linden Bldg? I am debating myself between 44 East Ave and this one. Appreciate your inputs.
If you want my subjective opinion: No. This will be the next Independent in terms of paying for a very nice building and unit, and ending up with a B+. These are priced very high, without too much to back it up. Other buildings have very good amenities (I think 5th & West has a virtual driving range, 70 Rainey has the coolest pool deck in the city, etc.), valet parking, and closer proximity to thinks like grocery stores and office buildings.

The only reason I could think of buying in here is if you were a lobbyist, etc., who essentially lived at the Capitol for part of the year. But even then, I'd say buy in at Cambridge, or Westgate which are equally close. You can spend $200k to completely gut and renovate a unit there, and still save hundreds of thousands before buying one of these....which may or may not be that nice.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
If you want my subjective opinion: No. This will be the next Independent in terms of paying for a very nice building and unit, and ending up with a B+. These are priced very high, without too much to back it up. Other buildings have very good amenities (I think 5th & West has a virtual driving range, 70 Rainey has the coolest pool deck in the city, etc.), valet parking, and closer proximity to thinks like grocery stores and office buildings.

The only reason I could think of buying in here is if you were a lobbyist, etc., who essentially lived at the Capitol for part of the year. But even then, I'd say buy in at Cambridge, or Westgate which are equally close. You can spend $200k to completely gut and renovate a unit there, and still save hundreds of thousands before buying one of these....which may or may not be that nice.
But that area is changing a lot with almost 3 Billion dollars construction including the Texas Mall. For long term I guess this area is becoming hot

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
But that area is changing a lot with almost 3 Billion dollars construction including the Texas Mall. For long term I guess this area is becoming hot
Right. This is what I think too. In view of long-term investment, it's probably a decent building to consider.

It is perhaps the most inevitable thing for Austin that the underdeveloped part of our core, between downtown proper and west campus, would one day transform into something sought after.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:57 PM

Another reason to consider this location is if you just want the relative peace and quiet in this area of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 6:29 PM

one more thing to consider, You just put 10% down now and wait for 3 years to complete. Its probably fortune by then.

Any other condo bldgs that are starting pre-sales now in that area or Downtown? 44 East has already 50% sales have been completed so now its not good idea to buy in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
True, but will any of that have a big effect on residents in the area? Meaning, if all of the ugly state gov't office buildings are being replaced by nice-looking state gov't office buildings, it will still be completely dead after 5:30 PM. Without much in the way of other residential, private commercial spaces, and most importantly retail/restaurants/bars, I'm not sure if it will be that great (unless you mean "long term" as in, 15 years from now).

That said, I'm not sure many condos are good long-term investments. Housing prices in Austin have risen at a higher rate for the last 5 or so years, and I'm not sure if that's likely to change. If you want somewhere to live (like I do), then owning a downtown condo is great, but just in terms of pure resale value, you'd have a better shot either: (1) buying a house off montopolis, or [insert growing neighborhood]; or (2) buying a condo in Cambridge or Towers of Town Lake, in the hopes that a developer buys out the entire building, like the Railyard and Villas on Town Lake (owners of both got around $1000/ft for units worth half that).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 8:47 PM

1/5

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 8:51 PM
World Traveler

You know, maybe they ought to put the garage on top of the tower. Change things up a little bit.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
You know, maybe they ought to put the garage on top of the tower. Change things up a little bit.
Nothing to say to that but.....

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:47 PM

The Prices are crazy..they quoted 800/Sqft. Very similar to Downtown prices.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
The Prices are crazy..they quoted 800/Sqft. Very similar to Downtown prices.
Pffft, if you ever feel like paying $800/ft, let me know and I'll sell you my condo instead!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:49 PM

I'm only half-joshing when I say: DOWNTOWN IS MUCH BIGGER THAN YOU EVER IMAGINED.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'm only half-joshing when I say: DOWNTOWN IS MUCH BIGGER THAN YOU EVER IMAGINED.
And yet it is just now beginning to look like a city of one million people.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 10:32 PM

Any idea where else is Pre-Sales are happening apart from Linden in Downtown with this new construction?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 1:02 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Any idea where else is Pre-Sales are happening apart from Linden in Downtown with this new construction?
Unfortunately no. There is going to be way more demand than supply for some time now. The new land development code was going to allow a lot more skyscrapers on the west side of downtown via density bonuses in what is DMU today but sadly a Housing Opposition Group lawsuit in front of a NIMBY-curious judge has our LDC stuck in the courts...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 7:26 AM
Meh

I grabbed a big version of the rendering from that Austin Business Journal article that rounded up a bunch of high rises.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...s-planned.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 8:52 AM

The bad news is that the start date is now "mid-year" according the ABJ article. Previously it was Q1.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The bad news is that the start date is now "mid-year" according the ABJ article. Previously it was Q1.
Is that bad for the actual project or just for inpatient folks like myself?

Gotta say, I'm excited for this one and would totally live there--that part of downtown feels somewhat older and more established than the CBD.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Is that bad for the actual project or just for inpatient folks like myself?

Gotta say, I'm excited for this one and would totally live there--that part of downtown feels somewhat older and more established than the CBD.
Yup. Plus it will be right on the light rail line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin