130 North Franklin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 6:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
no way a supertall gets built there, that area is basically the south loop.
In what universe is 130 NORTH Franklin considered the south loop?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 6:18 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I had a dream the other night that I was a multi billionaire developer and that I purchased this parcel and the parking lot next to it. Then I hired Jeanne Gang to design a supertall office tower for my corporation. I told her I wanted it to be inspired by the design for One Vanderbilt in NYC, for the lobby/atrium to be open and at least 100 feet tall (think of Oscorp lobby from The Amazing Spider-Man 1), a winter garden that is 100 feet tall somewhere around middle to top of the building, and for the building to be 1800 to 2000 feet tall. Jeanne told me she was up for the challenge and told me she would create a beautiful and functional supertall that would complement the Sears Tower.
Gold

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:26 AM
1st Ward

Insane that its been 20 years already. What a waste. RIP old CME. Screw the Crown family.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ it should be straight up criminal to do what they did.

we could've had this proud handsome building enriching our downtown landscape for the past 2 decades instead of the total fucking blight of a surface parking lot without end.

Source: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...chicago-il-usa

maybe the next cycle..... or the one after that..... or the one after that..... or the one after that.....

maybe my future grandchildren will one day get to lay their own eyes upon the glorious and historic parking lot of franklin/washington!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 2, 2022 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:28 PM

The worst part is that even if we do get something built it would most likely be taller than the old CME building but it would probably be like most of the recent office towers with a park or something so it wont take up the entire lot therefore have less street level density than the old cme.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:31 PM

Yeah this and the Garrick are unforgivable. The difference being the Garrick was torn down in 1961 while this in 2003 which is inconceivable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ it should be straight up criminal to do what they did.

we could've had this proud handsome building enriching our downtown landscape for the past 2 decades instead of the total fucking blight of a surface parking lot without end.

Source: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...chicago-il-usa

maybe the next cycle..... or the one after that..... or the one after that..... or the one after that.....

maybe my grandchildren will one day get to lay their own eyes on the glorious and historic parking lot of franklin/washington!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 3:42 PM

Still can't believe this was torn down in 2003...Nearly 20 years later, we still have a vacant lot in the middle of downtown. It's more bizarre than the vacant lot on S Michigan at 9th.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 6:19 PM
1st Ward

It was over 95% occupied at the time as well! The building was in excellent structural condition, and earning revenue. The only reason I could conceive of them wanting to rush the demolition is because they wanted to secure a future development site here before the building could get landmarked. The city honestly dropped the ball by not putting legal protections on this building when it had the opportunity.

Absolutely criminal.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 11:26 PM
DENNAB

Ridiculous, doesn't surprise me from everything I've heard about Chicago politics (and Illinois in general).

Given the recent disappointments in the city I'd say we're overdue for something amazing, like what Salesforce should have been.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 7:45 AM
Small but Mighty

While I'm certainly disappointed in the actions of 20 years ago, I don't think it's the best representation of today's Chicago. We, as a city, have (hopefully) moved on, and I don't think it's in the best prudence to bring up 1000' pie-in-the-sky skyscrapers as copium. This city is very complex. It is no NY. We have many intricate problems, politics, and peoples that make us not NY. I'm tired of individuals making the height argument here.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 2:49 PM

/\ preach!!!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
While I'm certainly disappointed in the actions of 20 years ago, I don't think it's the best representation of today's Chicago. We, as a city, have (hopefully) moved on, and I don't think it's in the best prudence to bring up 1000' pie-in-the-sky skyscrapers as copium. This city is very complex. It is no NY. We have many intricate problems, politics, and peoples that make us not NY. I'm tired of individuals making the height argument here.
I wouldn't be so sure we've moved on considering how close those two buildings on State are to being demolished for very specious "security" concerns.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I wouldn't be so sure we've moved on considering how close those two buildings on State are to being demolished for very specious "security" concerns.
That’s the Federal Government. The GSA doesn’t have to listen to a couple of paranoid likely-suburban headcases.

Otherwise the city would have just eminent domained the two buildings long ago.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 4:51 AM
All-American City Boy

Did they get an extension on this project or did the approval from the city expire?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Did they get an extension on this project or did the approval from the city expire?
looks like it has expired: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/gisimage...pds/PD1293.pdf

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeprise View Post
Good riddance, the updated design for the office tower was a VE'd box with none of the angled glass. They should consider building 600 - 800 apartments here instead.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Good riddance, the updated design for the office tower was a VE'd box with none of the angled glass. They should consider building 600 - 800 apartments here instead.
I would prefer to see someone propose an ambitious building here at some point. But yeah, happy to see this one die.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I would prefer to see someone propose an ambitious building here at some point. But yeah, happy to see this one die.
I thought the proposed building was ambitious, unless you are suggesting something eclipsing 900 ft.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:39 PM

With Google coming to the Loop in 4 years this will be the perfect spot for a residential or mixed-use supertall

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller98 View Post
With Google coming to the Loop in 4 years this will be the perfect spot for a residential or mixed-use supertall
I agree. Fingers crossed something excellent can be built here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals