HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:21 PM

Saskatoon - Social Programming Solutions

This is a thread dedicated to discussions around the community related to social programming in Saskatoon. It’s for:
  • Posting new ideas for social programming
  • Posting Saskatoon related articles around social programming
  • Posting successful solutions from other jurisdictions

This thread is not here to debate politics or political viewpoints! Just solutions and articles around social programming - a pillar of what incentivized developers to build in our beautiful downtown!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:28 PM

I thought I’d start with this article - it goes to show how ever changing our solution programming is about to become.
Community activists have been organizing parallel patrols to watch Saskatoon police during an increased foot patrol presence in the city’s downtown.

The Saskatoon Coordinating Committee Against Police Violence and 11 other groups that have formed the Legacy Group began conducting the “cop watch” patrols last Wednesday, to coincide with the deployment of additional foot patrol officers from Oct. 28 to 31 and Nov. 4 to 7.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...wn-enforcement

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:38 PM

New Downtown Partnership Addresses Homelessness
The initial phase, which will carry through over the next several months, will provide valuable feedback into a longer-term plan for serving Saskatoon’s homeless population and others in need of housing and supports.

The second phase will be supported by the work performed in Phase One. It will explore a collaborative approach than perhaps a traditional model of a single agency providing supports for vulnerable community members.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/news-releas...d-homelessness
i’m so excited to hear the results of the second phase

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:39 PM

Thanks for creating this thread Roryn. Hopefully it will result in a more project-focused Saskatoon Construction thread.

Given the myriad of influences woven into this issue, though, I think it's a very lofty ambition to keep politics out of it. Good luck, all the same.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 10:37 PM

The Lighthouse is moving its emergency services out of their current building...
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-shelter-model

Depending on federal funding to do this..

I really hope these services aren’t move somewhere where they’re going to get harassed again.. hopefully they get funding for a new build maybe next to the police station? I’d be curious to know where other jurisdictions have found most success. I support disbursement but don’t support this type of service leaving the downtown (ie i think a lot want it moved to riversdale but i don’t support that).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Um, that's getting political :>)

I really wanted to post my building security ideas here, but it's not relevant to social programs. I think my post does have more to do with construction, or at least marketing. So I posted to the general construction thread. Cheers.

However, with the police patrols taking place to help monitor the violence, and then having them simultaneously being monitored for possible abuse of the street people by community groups, is a really unfortunate product of our times. Why don't the snowflakes just get out there and monitor the streets and help the unfortunates, before the cops have to get out there? Where are they before the police show up? What a shit show.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Nov 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 2:13 PM

Quote:
The Lighthouse is moving its emergency services out of their current building...
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-shelter-model

I really hope these services aren’t move somewhere where they’re going to get harassed again.. hopefully they get funding for a new build maybe next to the police station? I’d be curious to know where other jurisdictions have found most success. I support disbursement but don’t support this type of service leaving the downtown (ie i think a lot want it moved to riversdale but i don’t support that).
Why not near City Hospital? There's lots of room and near parks to calm the mind. And the service would fit the puzzle, perhaps less easy to deny by nimbys?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 3:28 PM

Maybe if the Lighthouse is split up into smaller units ie: one for homeless without problems and some for units for people that have problems and put in the services in these that are appropriate for that unit. Then spread around downtown area, i don't agree with Riversdale there are enough issues there already. Maybe around the police station and hospital where there is 24 hour activity?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 3:10 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Why don't the snowflakes just get out there and monitor the streets and help the unfortunates, before the cops have to get out there? Where are they before the police show up? What a shit show.
I really don't think that's what anyone is advocating for. Rather, think of the difference millions of dollars could make if they were reallocated from reactive law enforcement to proactive social programs?

I don't have a solution (does anyone really???) but boiling it down to armed cops or kind-hearted locals patrolling the streets is simplistic, misleading, and not at all helpful.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 11:27 AM

Sorry FarmerHaight, I was only commenting on the protesters/police situation, while the police are trying not to fan the flames, but just patrol the area more to give a feeling of safety; doing their job, as they were asked to do. I at no time put forth a solution to the complex problems at play. Geez. But to come up with the statement, "armed cops or kind-hearted locals," is indeed simplistic.

In related news, the Lighthouse seems to be agreeing not only to move some of its services (including emergency) but also revamping its housing models. Things may be looking up for that corner of town. Cheers!

There are lots of people living in apartments down by the river

There’s a problem with drug addicts and violence

The buildings don’t have any security guards

The residents ask for more police patrols

Police begin foot patrols with more frequency

Local people fear police brutality and organize groups to follow the police

The police are followed and monitored

The irony is lost to the prairie wind

Last edited by Ricopedra; Nov 8, 2020 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 8:51 PM

My building downtown has night time security. Most do.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Wow. I've heard the opposite. Or nothing at all. This was my query a few posts ago.

roryn1, so there are building security guards, or at least one where you live? You've been chased home off the street before. You've said people have followed you home and threatened you as you were coming home. Is there any way you could notify your building security guard of the threat you're feeling by cell phone? Do you have a 'hot line' for residents? Maybe your model of security can help others get organized, if it works.

Instead of cowering in fear or running and moving away, residents should stand up for their neighbourhoods, especially this one, north dt/city park, so beautiful by the river. Just like the folks organizing patrols to monitor the police, many neighbourhoods in other cities organize community watch patrols. It gives folks a chance to socialize, get exercise and feel good about making their hood a better, safer place to live. Complaining is the easiest thing to do from an armchair. Saskatoon is known for their volunteers and friendship through festivals. Why wouldn't residents volunteer to make their own neighborhoods better and face the problems head on, with compassion and understanding? I don't get it. There seems to be a huge disconnect.

The groups wanting to monitor the police should in fact be working with them, becoming the intermediaries between the police and the street urchins, since they're out there anyway. Instead of more standoffs, we'd have more community synthesis. Yes, of course, they don't have any level of expertise or training, but a workable model could transpire from this mire in the future.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Nov 9, 2020 at 4:29 PM. Reason: more

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Sorry, roryn1. Could you be more specific? Night time security could mean locking doors, or a simple lobby security cam. Is there an actual body, a security guard on duty? I'm a bit confused here, as I'm presently talking to a real estate agent at the apartment building, The View. It seems most buildings Do Not have a security guard on duty at any time, specific to a single building. Remote security features are not what I was talking about, as you know. Do you live in the View?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
My apartment building downtown has had a security guard here every night for the past 2-ish years, and it's been really nice and very much appreciated. I don't know if that's the norm. I'd suspect that it's not, but I think that some buildings bring in security guards for certain occasions (like for New Years eve, etc.).

Anyway, I really hope that the Lighthouse gets the funding they need to move their emergency services.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
My apartment building downtown has had a security guard here every night for the past 2-ish years, and it's been really nice and very much appreciated. I don't know if that's the norm. I'd suspect that it's not, but I think that some buildings bring in security guards for certain occasions (like for New Years eve, etc.).

Anyway, I really hope that the Lighthouse gets the funding they need to move their emergency services.
For sure, it makes a world of difference having a person you know there when you come through the door and come home at night. But just like A-grade office space, Saskatoon's only a few decades behind. We're catching up now, though.

Here's a bit from the real estate agent on the View, which is a 20-story condo tower:

Matthew Olsgard <matthew.olsgard@century21.ca>
Tue 11/10/2020
To: You
Hello. There’s no concierge or security on site. Has camera security system.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 4:14 PM

I talked a bit more with Mr. Olsgard, and he's a nice guy. I told him to cut any sales bs. He's given me a bit of an update:

"The View has everything included in the condo fees for utilities. Power/water/heat. Most condos don’t include power, so it’s very reasonable. There’s more crime downtown than the suburbs, but I’ve always felt safe. With no incidents in 10 years. Mostly young professionals & older demographic in the downtown condos I find."

We had an extended chat, which he's fine to talk about. I'm just trying to get a better perspective of Saskatoon and especially downtown since it's been presented as unlivable by a few posters. I find it really hard to believe that it's unsafe to walk on the streets day or night around North Downtown and City Park. What kind of city would allow that lawlessness?

I've walked from East Hastings in Vancouver by the docks right through the downtown Eastside over to Kisilano by the Burrard Bridge, several times. I saw some shit, and had some offers, but I never thought I was going to be hurt. Obviously it could have happened. Has happened to some, mostly in the crowd. And? So everyday I've got to shit my pants because a dude outside yells and looks a bit grubby? Stand up for yourself and make your community a better place instead of running away to Martensville or Warman. That's my advice.

Nevertheless, the following could be good advice either way:

1. No eye contact, even if they address you.
2. A good "Sorry, I've got to go" never hurt.

Good luck in your urban/suburban adventures!

Well, this has little to do with social programming. Damn. Where can shit like this land? It's not welcomed in the construction thread...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan