HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 10:51 PM

Red face TORONTO | 36 Eglinton Ave. W. | 200 M / 656 FT | 59 FLOORS

This is not a new proposal, but it has undergone revisions over the years. This highrise node, well north of downtown, has seen substantial intensification over the last 15 years, and much more is planned. An enormous development across the street from this one to the south (not shown in any of the renders below) has drawn quite a bit of controversy because of its scale.

Credit to UrbanToronto for the info and images.

36 Eglinton West: a proposed 65-storey, 220-metre tall condominium tower near Toronto's Yonge-Eglinton intersection, designed by Wallman Architects for Lifetime Developments.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Feb 8, 2024 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:26 PM

Looks cheap. Needs to go back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Looks cheap. Needs to go back to the drawing board.
Haters.

It kind of reminds me of the Federal building in New York City,

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 5:07 AM
Midtowner since 2K

It's fugly. It doesn't even replace any office space lost by this proposal. I also have an issue with the height.....this kind of density near a subway is fine...considering the Eglinton LRT being built. But there's no real attempt at transitioning from a higher density area (Yonge and Eglinton) to the lowrise Eglinton West area. I think chopping this to 30 floors would make a better transition toward Eglinton West....along with retaining retail uses along this stretch to Duplex and ensuring the sidewalks are sizable.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 5:21 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
But there's no real attempt at transitioning from a higher density area (Yonge and Eglinton) to the lowrise Eglinton West area. I think chopping this to 30 floors would make a better transition toward Eglinton West....along with retaining retail uses along this stretch to Duplex and ensuring the sidewalks are sizable.
I suspect the adjacent low rise residential is on borrowed time. This is rightly being designed based on the plans for this node rather than what exists there right. Lets not forget that this area of Toronto all used to be low rise. Friends of my parents lost their house (a very nice one) for one of the first 'tall' building at Yonge and Eglinton. It's not realistic to assume that this mini-downtown is done growing.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 1:23 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
It's fugly. It doesn't even replace any office space lost by this proposal. I also have an issue with the height.....this kind of density near a subway is fine...considering the Eglinton LRT being built. But there's no real attempt at transitioning from a higher density area (Yonge and Eglinton) to the lowrise Eglinton West area. I think chopping this to 30 floors would make a better transition toward Eglinton West....along with retaining retail uses along this stretch to Duplex and ensuring the sidewalks are sizable.
The floor space index is over 32. That's not fitting for a high quality of life.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 6:36 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I suspect the adjacent low rise residential is on borrowed time. This is rightly being designed based on the plans for this node rather than what exists there right. Lets not forget that this area of Toronto all used to be low rise. Friends of my parents lost their house (a very nice one) for one of the first 'tall' building at Yonge and Eglinton. It's not realistic to assume that this mini-downtown is done growing.
It won't be done growing, that's for sure, but expanding into the lowrise residential neighbourhoods is something that I don't see happening for a while, if ever. (unless attitudes or policies change somehow). I can see some houses picked off when convenient, like say closer to a property fronting Eglinton or Yonge, or Bathurst or what have you, but a large scale redevelopment would surprise me. (Unless of course, this was over say, 20 to 30 years).

Also, I did not notice the 32 FSI on this proposal....I'm not is sure why I didn't notice this. That level of density is very substantial and not ideal in any way for highrise living....based on things like elevator service alone.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 11:05 PM

This one is in the demo phase. Photo, taken more than a month ago, thanks to GenerationLee at UT.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Haters.

It kind of reminds me of the Federal building in New York City,

The Federal Building dosen't have the hideous slap-dash podium that this one has.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 12:22 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

The design changed a while back. Still 199.9 metres and 59 floors. Here is the new render:

[IMG][/IMG]
Source: urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 2:55 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Meh, I like the first design better, and the first design was pretty meh to begin with. Meh.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 9:23 PM

^Agree. The first design was individualistic by Toronto standards. The new one looks like 50 other buildings in the city.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:59 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Woops, I totally forgot to keep posting on this thread. Thanks for re-posting Gresto. Here's a few more from my last update on December 9th.
A Busy Saturday by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
A Busy Saturday by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
I can literally see this going down from my home (as long as I go to the street), so I can tell you right now progress has slowed significantly, and I think by now, there are about 6 floors left.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 8:43 PM

Thanks for the update, GeneralLee. As you can see, I have been adding loads of proposals from the Toronto diagram page. If I feel arsed, I might continue adding all the way down to 500ft, but to paraphrase someone, "I don't get out of bed for anything lower than 500ft".

Edit: Actually, I won't. I just looked, and it's about 200 proposals and builts between 500 and 600 ft. No way.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 1:41 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Yeah there are almost too many proposals to make a thread for every one of them...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Yeah there are almost too many proposals to make a thread for every one of them...
I'll stick to scrapers 600 ft and up. That still leaves a couple to add from page 7. (If you're wondering why I hold to feet rather than metres, it's one of those Canadian quirks that some metric measurements gained traction in the public consciousness after we switched from Imperial, while others didn't; e.g., I would not reliably know my height in metres, but I do know that I'm 5'10".)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 7:19 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Yeah, I only create threads myself for projects I know I can photograph at the very least somewhat regularly. And some of those threads have been ignored because I stopped going to certain parts of town after the pandemic began.

That being said, I'll try and keep updating threads beyond my own.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 8:48 PM

You're doing a good job.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 2:25 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this earlier today:
36 Eglinton West, Going Down by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals