HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 12:08 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^ Ya, everyone use to call it "The Queen E", I still do.
I recall hearing it a lot when I was younger, but not no much these days.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 1:46 PM

My dad told me how they used to call the closest paved road "the highway"

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
My dad told me how they used to call the closest paved road "the highway"
My mother recalled seeing the first car in western PEI. Cars were briefly banned in PEI in the 1920s because they frightened the horses.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:20 PM

I have definitely heard "queen E" but I say QEW.

The one that threw me off is how some people from southern ontario describe highways by saying "number 403 highway" or "the 24 highway" instead of "highway 401" or "highway 6".

As someone who grew up in the eastern GTA, that confused the hell out of me the first time I heard it.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

The one that threw me off is how some people from southern ontario describe highways by saying "number 403 highway" or "the 24 highway" instead of "highway 401" or "highway 6".

As someone who grew up in the eastern GTA, that confused the hell out of me the first time I heard it.
I think "the 24 highway" is the only one I've heard like that. It's also not that rare for people to say "new 24" - not that strange I guess since the old route of 24 is literally called Old Highway 24, but I think that realignment was decades ago.

Edit: 1963 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_24

Last edited by jonny24; May 20, 2022 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:35 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I've only ever heard visitors and new immigrants say "Number 401" where they usually spell out the number "Four Zero One". The "Four Oh One" is obviously colloquial. And I thought all Ontarians called it that.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I think "the 24 highway" is the only one I've heard like that. It's also not that rare for people to say "new 24" - not that strange I guess since the old route of 24 is literally called Old Highway 24, but I think that realignment was decades ago.

Edit: 1963 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_24
The people I've heard say that are all from Norfolk County so perhaps it's something to do with that area

But yes- they use it to describe any highway, not just 24. "number 403 highway" - "number 3 highway", etc.

They will say "four-oh-three" though, not "four hundred and three" at least.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
The people I've heard say that are all from Norfolk County so perhaps it's something to do with that area

But yes- they use it to describe any highway, not just 24. "number 403 highway" - "number 3 highway", etc.

They will say "four-oh-three" though, not "four hundred and three" at least.
Maybe I'm so accustomed to it I don't notice! Perhaps the real case is that "24 highway" is the only one of those that I say...

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:03 PM
It's a nickname from work

The way I've heard people refer to the highways depends on how big the numbers are, I think. Visiting my grandparents north of Belleville we take the Four-oh-Seven, then Highway 7. Visiting the other grandparents in Haldimand, we take the 56 south. But when they refer to part of the route, which when in Hamilton is Centennial Parkway, they refer to it as 20 Highway every time. It's only a little confusing

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Nice. My father grew up in Danville, which is about 20 kms away (similar topography).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:33 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I spent last week in Gingolx BC. it's a village in the Nisga'a Nation, and it's pretty small; like 400 people, but absolutely beautiful. It truly feels like your on the periphery of humanity.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I envy you. Looks like paradise.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:33 AM
Riki beach

Rimouski

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:43 PM

Had to check out some properties in Durham Region and then Peterborough. As always, try to take routes I’ve never taken before or haven’t for a long time.

Millbrook – Can walk the main street in two minutes but it’s a good two minutes. I can see why those chose here to film A History of Violence, which was supposed to be small town Indiana. It did remind of a place like that.

Peterborough – First time actually driving around the downtown. I was impressed by what was going on there and the surrounding geography. Love the big lift lock. There happened to be a cruise boat approaching right when I stopped so I watched that go up and a some pleasure craft come down the other way. And I’ve heard that DT PTBO gets sketchy at night but I was surprised by the sketchy people around during the day, even at the Walmart. There were more than I had anticipated. I saw it in Brantford, as expected, and Oshawa yesterday as well, but not in Kitchener last month, which was unexpected.

The Omemee river looks so inviting for fishing. I will have to bring my inflatable boat and electric motor with me next time. Could see a bunch of carp and small bass by the shore. You can see the difference polarized glasses make to cut glare from the water. Those tinted photos are through the lense of my sunglasses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/onasill/49700473941

https://www.peterborough.ca/en/news/...trictions.aspx

Omemee – It wasn’t on the agenda. It just happened to be on the way. This is an example of “what coulda been”. There’s no street wall on the main street. It didn’t develop in the classic way. The buildings are too spread out.

Lindsay – Lovely main street that has since had some renos too that are not pictured here. And here is an example of how there’s sometimes that one building that doesn’t fit in with the rest because it probably replaced something historic at some point with the cheapest possible material, leaving a drab structure in its place because there was no rule that you had to building something nice. Now if the paint job and sign were more attractive, that could make up for some of that as shown in a couple other examples in the pic.

To Durham Region:

The top half of Durham Region is not like the rest of the GTA. It is technically in the GTA but feels more like the surrounding counties. Once down in Port Perry, then I feel like it starts to transition to the GTA.

Cannington – Nothing to write home about.

Sunderland – Nothing to write home about.

upload image online free

Port Perry – I came down Hwy. 48 and had to turn onto Reach St. At the end of Reach St. you hook a right and it takes you to the main street. And first thing I saw were production trucks. And then film crews. I then realized they must be filming season 2 of Reacher. They film Reacher right next to Reach Street. It was meant to be. Even though it’s supposed to be small town Georgia.

Uxbridge – Not much changed in the four years since I was last there. I appreciate the historic train ride that originates from there and the theatre that gives you a false sense, which is okay. Sometimes all you need is a clever façade.

Goodwood Kartways – I was massively into motorsport. My cousins and uncle would go race their go kart here. My uncle broke his leg there. I used to watch them when I was a kid but I didn’t get to race then. I since raced at the track at Mosport outside Bowmanville, which is not far away. It was a race night and it’s cool to see the trailers from those who take it seriously that have like mini garages in there and the few dozen other cars, trucks and RVs parked in the lot, the grass, up the hill on the other grass, creating a tailgate atmosphere. This is what I like about having parking on the beach, as long as it’s super organized and in very limited locations. The tailgate atmosphere it creates is like a mini version of the college football games I have frequented many times.

Stouffville (York Region) – Nothing really to say. My cousin lives in the newer subdivision, which is of course very bland. Stopped by there to chat.

As always, some really impressive churches in the downtowns of these cities and towns. And thank God for the rolling hills and river valleys that create the up and down and sometimes windy roads. And the nice vistas. Or else it would be quite boring driving between towns. Also, so glad to see plenty of cars parked in these downtowns in the middle of a Wednesday and very few vacant storefronts if any.

And again, as always, I search FB Marketplace for something I want or need for wherever I’m going and find some good deals. Got something in Whitby for one kid, and this Jays romper from someone in Peterborough for the other kid.

I got lunch at a food truck corral in North Oshawa, on the other side of the road where development stops. So on unused farmland. It’s kind of cool. Nothing fancy, but it’s interesting. Though I must say, a lot of the food does look fancy based on the pics in the review on google. Why aren’t there more of these places? There’s tonnes of spots you can set up something like this on empty land right next to population centres for a few months.

Last edited by megadude; Aug 22, 2022 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:29 PM

L'assomption

24,000. Established in 1717. Located north-east of Montreal (you can see Mtl's skyline on the pictures at a distance).

Source

Source

Source

Source

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...77594805899210

Source

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:35 PM

In addition to my post above, I should include Beaverton, which is the cousin to Cannington and Sunderland. Not to be confused with Nike’s hometown of Beaverton, Oregon. I didn’t stop by this time, but when I did a few years ago I found not the main street interesting, but a couple of buildings and the marina at the mouth of the Beaver River, where it meets Lake Simcoe.

I found this theatre interesting, not because of the dreary structure itself, but because of what adorned it. Turns out it’s been renovated. And “The Alamo” next door it turns out was vacated.

I like the oddly shaped and differently coloured houses along the river. It’s not something you usually see right at the mouth of a river.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:51 PM

ha. Grew up in Uxbridge, and had / have friends and family in Lindsay. My grandmother used to live in Cannington, and I regularly visited Port Perry, Sunderland, and Beaverton growing up for various things. Basically every town but Millbrook and Peterborough have been visited more times than I can count, and I of course know basically every square inch of Uxbridge itself.

I used to GO-kart at Goodwood Kartways as a kid too. That was a lot of fun, but probably made me a more aggressive driver than I really should be

Port Perry is really known as the "scenic" town in the area being on Lake Scugog and all. Sunderland also has a cute main street, and it's grown a fair bit recently. it's not nearly as sleepy as it used to be.

Lindsay has the most potential in my opinion as the downtown is actually fairly large, but it's also a lot more run down. The recent street improvements should help, but I haven't been through there since they were done.

I preferred the Roxy theatre before they painted it baby blue, it used to be more of a beige colour that made it look more like it was limestone than plaster. The old colour scheme just seemed a lot more 1940's. It's a fake facade of course though, the theatre opened in the mid 1990's.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.10896...7i13312!8i6656

It's crazy to think that Uxbridge and Stouffville were about the same size for most of their history. Stouffville is 4x the size now.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 11:02 PM

Did not know the Roxy was a different colour. I like either scheme.

You must have been to Family Kartways in Brooklin, Whitby growing up as well. Unless you're a lot younger than me. My uncle took us there once and as I was a race fan, I loved that track. It was quite big and the figure 8 was awesome. I thought it was so special like the figure 8 at Suzuka, home of the Japanese Grand Prix. Then I realized afterward that lots of tracks have that, such as Centenntial Mini Indy in Etobicoke, Playdium in Sauga and Cameron in Ancaster.

I have my doubts about it being the longest kart track in the world but it does look pretty long in this pic.

capture
https://www.reddit.com/r/Karting/com..._my_home_town/

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-whitby.32359/

Quote:
ha. Grew up in Uxbridge, and had / have friends and family in Lindsay. My grandmother used to live in Cannington, and I regularly visited Port Perry, Sunderland, and Beaverton growing up for various things. Basically every town but Millbrook and Peterborough have been visited more times than I can count, and I of course know basically every square inch of Uxbridge itself.

I used to GO-kart at Goodwood Kartways as a kid too. That was a lot of fun, but probably made me a more aggressive driver than I really should be

Port Perry is really known as the "scenic" town in the area being on Lake Scugog and all. Sunderland also has a cute main street, and it's grown a fair bit recently. it's not nearly as sleepy as it used to be.

Lindsay has the most potential in my opinion as the downtown is actually fairly large, but it's also a lot more run down. The recent street improvements should help, but I haven't been through there since they were done.

I preferred the Roxy theatre before they painted it baby blue, it used to be more of a beige colour that made it look more like it was limestone than plaster. The old colour scheme just seemed a lot more 1940's. It's a fake facade of course though, the theatre opened in the mid 1990's.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.10896...7i13312!8i6656

It's crazy to think that Uxbridge and Stouffville were about the same size for most of their history. Stouffville is 4x the size now.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
I love the windmills on the hillsides.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada