HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I thought this was a by-right project zoned appropriately for the size and height?
nimbys just want to be paid off. fuckers.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
nimbys just want to be paid off. fuckers.
Hum. I thought the developer had reached agreement with the various constituencies. Bummer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:07 PM

I'm less annoyed than I would be if I still planned to buy here, but it's still irritating.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:16 PM
Midrise

This is surprising and more so that there hasn't been any news coverage of the status. It was continued in August and again in November.

Appeal Number
Grounds
APPEAL AGAINST L&I PERMIT 881774
Primary Applicant
PAUL BONI, ESQ.
Capacity
Permit Number
Hearing Decisions History
Date
Wed Nov 07 2018
Decision
CONTINUED
Proviso
ATTORNEY MOVING PARTY

Date
Wed Aug 29 2018
Decision
CONTINUED
Proviso

https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...%20WALNUT%20ST

https://atlas.phila.gov/#/1907-15%20WALNUT%20ST/li

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:18 PM

Can't they build while permit is under appeal?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:45 PM
Midrise

Here's what Tim Downey had to say at the time of the groundbreaking:

Southern Land CEO Tim Downey had nothing but praise for the neighborhood organizations who also pushed to shape the project to their liking. “They didn’t tell me not to build the building or to go back to Tennessee, but instead, they said, ‘Make it beautiful,’ make it special,'” he said at the groundbreaking. With an assist from Cecil Baker + Partners, project architect Solomon Coldwell Buenz has managed to do just that.

Downey also confessed his love for Philadelphia in his remarks. “I tell everyone in Tennessee how great Philadephia is,” he said.

Read more at https://www.phillymag.com/property/2...3OrVt1SiqlW.99

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:36 PM
Midrise

Hopefully the unclear status of this appeal is just a minor formality already on the cusp of final resolution. I had just assumed the delay in construction following the groundbreaking was simply to allow for the completion of the water and/or sewer construction that had been underway on that block of Moravian St. I posted about the appeal over on the UrbanPHL fb group, seeking more details, thinking maybe one or more of the journos who follow that group will look into it further.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
This project was supposed to be green lighted. They took deposits in the millions on the units reserved already. This is a major snafu, if the appeals process is going to tie up or undo the project. SLC needs to assuage the depositors.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Hopefully the unclear status of this appeal is just a minor formality already on the cusp of final resolution. I had just assumed the delay in construction following the groundbreaking was simply to allow for the completion of the water and/or sewer construction that had been underway on that block of Moravian St. I posted about the appeal over on the UrbanPHL fb group, seeking more details, thinking maybe one or more of the journos who follow that group will look into it further.
I'm pretty sure you cant get a building permit without the zoning permit being free and clear. So the fact that the appeal isn't resolved is likely why they can't get permission to start digging with a foundation permit.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:15 PM

I didn't put down a deposit, but I do get updates as I met with the sales team. No one has said anything to me. I wonder what they're telling people who did put deposits down...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:53 PM
Future World Dictator

A family member of mine met with someone involved with this project a few months ago (someone listed on Southern Land Company's 'Leadership' page, FWIW), and it sounded like at that time they were still trying to finalize some aspects of the project (non-zoning/permit related stuff... this family member doesn't really have anything to do with that), so who knows exactly what's going on. But from what they told me, everything seemed to be moving ahead fine.

Basically... I wouldn't really worry (yet).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:17 PM

Jan 9 decision: "withdrawn"

The same link posted above now shows a Jan 9 hearing date with "Withdrawn" as the decision: https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...%20WALNUT%20ST

I assume this means the appeal was withdrawn, thereby clearing the way for progress to resume? Anyone speak lawyer?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:24 PM

If that’s the case then I read that as = developer paid off the NIMBY appealing it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
The same link posted above now shows a Jan 9 hearing date with "Withdrawn" as the decision: https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...%20WALNUT%20ST

...Anyone speak lawyer?
I believe there are a few of them around here.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
If that’s the case then I read that as = developer paid off the NIMBY appealing it.
Someone before (a lawyer perhaps) had posted a link to a PA law that permits defendants to countersue a plaintiff for frivolous lawsuits. Maybe SLC threatened such action? From all the info we know, the lawsuit against SLC would be frivolous since it was a by right project (right?) and seemingly, all local civic groups approved of the plan.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:33 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Someone before (a lawyer perhaps) had posted a link to a PA law that permits defendants to countersue a plaintiff for frivolous lawsuits. Maybe SLC threatened such action? From all the info we know, the lawsuit against SLC would be frivolous since it was a by right project (right?) and seemingly, all local civic groups approved of the plan.
Yeah, and I mean theoretically the state bar could punish an attorney if they're bringing lawsuits in bad faith, but all that stuff doesn't really happen often as a practical matter. Like, you need to be pretty egregious about your conduct (knowingly lying, etc.). As long as you have some reasonable basis to bring a lawsuit you're almost certainly going to be fine in that regard (think about it... it isn't really in the state bar's interest to actively discourage lawsuits, ya know?).

But anyway, who knows why, but it seems like the appeal was withdrawn so nothing to worry about there. Could have reached some sort of agreement with the developer, or could have just realized that they really had no case and it wasn't worth the time/effort to lose.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:44 AM

I thought they were just waiting for the Harper to get their heavy equipment out of the way. It will be a milestone if they even manage to get a shovel in the ground because there were so many obstacles in their path. I was wondering if the residents preferred a vacant lot glaring back at them in such an exclusive neighborhood. Everybody and their mother had an opinion on that lot.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:11 PM

I don't know if I can handle a set back for this development... not going to panic. It will be ok.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:26 PM

Isn't the lawyer on the appeal the King of the NIMBYS. I think he's behind all the appeals in Society Hill as well. Derailing replacing the ACME on 5th and I believe he's spearheading the Sheraton tower appeal as well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:03 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Isn't the lawyer on the appeal the King of the NIMBYS. I think he's behind all the appeals in Society Hill as well. Derailing replacing the ACME on 5th and I believe he's spearheading the Sheraton tower appeal as well.
Important to note (see several post back) that THE APPEAL WAS WITHDRAWN the week before the chatter ensued here about it. It just takes a while for the City to get their info on the web synced with current reality.

We may never know what the short-lived appeal was about and who hired Boni, unless someone here has inside info. The project already did have the support of the neighborhood generally and I believe CCRA as well for some time, but there's one in every crowd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive