HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I assume LA has the most vehicle registrations on earth? Probably more than NYC or Tokyo, or any developing world megacity.
São Paulo metro area (21.9 million inh.) is getting close to 12 million registered cars (not including motorbikes, trucks, buses), about 550 cars/1,000 people. I guess that's the highest number for the developing world.

The problem down here is the density. While LA+SB urban area spans for 6,000 sq km, São Paulo urban area is just above 2,000 sq km. Too many cars.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
So I compiled a list comparing CA and TX Metro Region first, thinking for sure TX had more cars per capita than CA,but I was surprised to see that CA actually has more in this regard
The LEAST surprising thing about this thread is that a Californian would have an incorrect preconceived notion about Texas. No offense. The incorrect preconceived notions go both ways.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
The LEAST surprising thing about this thread is that a Californian would have an incorrect preconceived notion about Texas. No offense. The incorrect preconceived notions go both ways.
I'm surprised dimondpark thought Texas would have more cars per capita than California. California is the most populated state after all, and everyone knows that cars and California go together.

California has the largest and most competitive automobile market in the whole US. Auto trends seem to get born and die here. When Toyota came out with its Scion brand, it sold them in California first. The Prius was only available in California for a bit when Toyota first started selling them. The Honda Clarity was only available in southern California when those first came out. American Honda is still headquartered in southern California (in Torrance), and even though Toyota's American headquarters moved to Texas, it still has a design studio in southern California (in Newport Beach).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm surprised dimondpark thought Texas would have more cars per capita than California. California is the most populated state after all, and everyone knows that cars and California go together.
Unlike California, Texas doesn't have a major city with very high transit usage. So I could somewhat see that. But outside of the Bay Area, California is the prototype of car culture.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

California has always dominated US car culture. Most foreign and domestic car manufacturers have a design presence out there and the state always been a bellwether for wider safety and emissions laws for the rest of the country. It's even been a test market for certain limited production EV vehicles in the past; e.g., the infamous General Motors EV1:

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 8:59 PM
你的媽媽

Yeah California is the car culture capital of America. It's got a really diverse and extensive scene, from lowriders, the import car tuning culture, sideshows, offroaders, and unlimited driving roads from coastal highways, mountain twisties, and desert flatlands. In Texas, car culture is limited to coal rolling lifted pick up trucks.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
In Texas, car culture is limited to coal rolling lifted pick up trucks.
I hope that's a joke because if not it's just ignorant.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hous...=2320&bih=1822

https://www.google.com/search?q=hous...=1822&biw=2320

https://www.google.com/search?q=hous...=1822&biw=2320

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Jnf2aHzAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OizZtjW6lFo&app=desktop

Last edited by bilbao58; Oct 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
You beat me to it. Art Cars are definitely one of the most interesting aspects of US car culture. I haven't been to Burning Man since 2001, but at that time Houston was widely recognized for being the Art Car capital of America, and many of those magnificent beasts were plying the high desert event, year after year. Almost all the Art Car owners/creators I met in those years were from Houston.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions