HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 7:46 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah so as i was saying, before trash day lol, it seems some dont think anything with come of this audacious proposal, but i would bet this actually gets going and then immediately becomes a mundane new city like lagos ecko atlantic or the usual dubai goofiness.
A small part of NEOM already exists and it’s pretty standard suburban / new city dreck. I’m sure more will be built but certainly not this, nor the slightly less ambitious plans for “The Line”. It’s not exactly money laundering, but it is a way to funnel money towards big international consulting and engineering firms.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I guess this explains the high gasoline prices this summer.
The Saudi's don't want the U.S. to be energy independent. Lower the price of a barrel of oil to $20, and there goes out fracking industry! Good job, Saudi's!

I just read a book on MBS and his pie-in-the-sky Neom project. I'm betting on it being a colossal failure!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
While $1 trillion may be a staggeringly large sum for a single project, somehow I feel it this would need a lot more than that? I mean, the Central Park Tower which is similar in height was $3 billion despite being only about 40m at its max width. So if we were to extrapolate that to building enough of them side by side to extend 120km, that would cost around $9 trillion. Yes NYC construction costs are high, but I'm pretty sure building in the middle of the remote and inhospitable desert isn't going to be cheap either?

Considering Saudi Arabia's whole annual nominal GDP is only around $1 trillion I can't see them pulling this off unless it's an absolute necessity. Maybe if they used enough slave labour?
Slave labor? As the low fertility rate, 1-2 child family sweeps the world, countries are going to be fighting over immigrants. And they're not going to come cheap anymore.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 9:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
A small part of NEOM already exists and it’s pretty standard suburban / new city dreck. I’m sure more will be built but certainly not this, nor the slightly less ambitious plans for “The Line”. It’s not exactly money laundering, but it is a way to funnel money towards big international consulting and engineering firms.
i wouldnt say its a way to funnel money toward construction related business, more like they are showing up to the saudi cash pig trough to snort up some loot from this nutcase.

because why not come and take the money.

later when it comes time for shovels to hit the dirt and reality sets in for mbs at best it will be just another resort with some sort of odd flair hook like a space needle or something to get notice.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 12:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

surprize!

Saudis Scale Back Ambition for $1.5 Trillion Desert Project Neom

Zainab Fattah and Matthew Martin
Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 12:27 PM EDT4 min read

(Bloomberg) -- Saudi Arabia has scaled back its medium-term ambitions for the desert development of Neom, the biggest project within Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s plans for diversifying the oil-dependent economy, according to people familiar with the matter.

more:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/saudi...162752253.html

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 5:59 PM

^End of the ZIRP era

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 6:04 PM
Future God

So from 170km long to MAYBE 2km by 2030. Lol... yeah, no shock there.

-Bob Marley

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions