HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:25 PM
Back on the road again

Atlanta shows low there due to "city proper". Less than 1 in 10 people in the Atlanta metro live in the city limits. Atlanta is the 9th largest US metro, but for city population I don't think it's even in the top 30.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:26 PM

Buy your neighbor, raze it, merge the lots, and now you can get your Chicago swimming pool

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Atlanta shows low there due to "city proper". Less than 1 in 10 people in the Atlanta metro live in the city limits. Atlanta is the 9th largest US metro, but for city population I don't think it's even in the top 30.
Good point. The concept of MSA exists precisely to make those city-vs-city comparisons apples-to-apples, which city proper comparisons, being 100% based on arbitrary imaginary lines, definitely are not.

Atlanta is a good climate for pools being worth it, and the ocean isn't nearby (unlike, say, Brooklyn or Queens).

(I feel less of a need for a pool when I can go to the water in a reasonable travel time. I'm likely not alone.)

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:34 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Good point. The concept of MSA exists precisely to make those city-vs-city comparisons apples-to-apples, which city proper comparisons, being 100% based on arbitrary imaginary lines, definitely are not.

Atlanta is a good climate for pools being worth it, and the ocean isn't nearby (unlike, say, Brooklyn or Queens).

(I feel less of a need for a pool when I can go to the water in a reasonable travel time. I'm likely not alone.)
The Florida Panhandle, in addition to be called "Redneck Riveria", is also sometimes referred to as "Atlanta's Beach". Sometimes when you stay at a hotel anywhere along the panhandle 50% or more of the cars are from metro Atlanta. We can also get to GA's suprisingly beautiful beaches, and South Carolina's, in about the same driving time.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
You excavate, and build below the yard or home. It's done frequently. The SY (Syrian Jewish) part of Midwood, Brooklyn has a ton.

But indoors. Lots are generally too small for outdoor pools, except in some fringe neighborhoods. And it's obviously extremely expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This part of Midwood, Brooklyn frequently has indoor pools, in deep basement excavations. They can have more space below ground than above ground, due to zoning restrictions.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5975...7i16384!8i8192

I doubt they would show up in Zillow listings, however. This is a very insular neighborhood that is almost 100% Syrian Jews, and listings wouldn't be made public, but sold within the community. Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods don't really have public listings.

One of these homes just went for over $14 million.
Still very curious about this. Surely you can't do works of that scope without only building the house afterwards? I can conceive it being realistic if the land is vacant and you dig a massive and deep hole, sure.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
The Florida Panhandle, in addition to be called "Redneck Riveria", is also sometimes referred to as "Atlanta's Beach". Sometimes when you stay at a hotel anywhere along the panhandle 50% or more of the cars are from metro Atlanta. We can also get to GA's suprisingly beautiful beaches, and South Carolina's, in about the same driving time.
Sure, but that's not close enough to be an alternative to a swimming pool (the way that I imagine, say, Steely Dan or Crawford just taking their kids to Lake Michigan or the beach, on hot summer days where they're dreaming of having a pool).

For a couple years, I had a disgusting green inground swimming pool in the backyard of the FL house I was occupying; the beach was 10-15 minutes away, and I was going there frequently. I only rehabilitated the pool when Code Enforcement forced me to. (After that, it was nice to have it, gotta admit.)

If there hadn't already been a pool there, I certainly would never have considered paying to have one installed. But it's something I would likely do in Atlanta. I like being in the water.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Orlando is missing?
Tons of cities are missing. Every city in Florida will have many.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
in addition to the nearly 6 miles of sand beaches to swim at up and down chicago's lake shore (we're actually going to the beach later this afternoon!), the chicago park district also operates 49 outdoor pools and 28 indoor pools at parks ALL over the city free for everyone to use, so even though 99% of chicagoans don't have a proper swimming pool in their backyard, they're still not far away from a place to swim and cool off on a hot summer day.

and because my kids are little, they still manage to have a lot of fun with this 10' x 8' inflatable pool on our back patio when we don't feel like going to the beach or our local park pool.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:50 PM

And yet virtually all single family homes in Miami Beach have in ground pools?

Btw, in a situation like this with a pool as part of an ocean front house. Which do you think they use more? Do they ever use the pool? I guess the pool would give more privacy.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9709.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Still very curious about this. Surely you can't do works of that scope without only building the house afterwards? I can conceive it being realistic if the land is vacant and you dig a massive and deep hole, sure.
I have no background in construction, but these Midwood properties tend to be total gut jobs. The neighborhood, 20-30 years ago, was mostly modest homes occupied by traditional South Brooklyn white ethnics (Italian, Irish, secular Jewish), and then the growing Sephardic Orthodox community started building these more lavish homes.

I believe they keep a small portion of the original foundation for zoning purposes (so technically a renovation, not a new building), but for practical purposes, these are totally new properties, starting with a deep hole in the ground for subbasement levels. They can have two-three basement levels, one with pool. I've been in one of these homes. They go down rather than up bc the neighborhood has strict height limits on the side streets. It's insanely expensive but these are very expensive properties. Vacant SFH lots have gone for $10 million+. And these are small, urban lots.

The neighborhood valuations are going by a totally different calculus. I believe proximity to synagogue drives property values, and proximity to the most prestigious synagogue drives the highest values.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:00 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Sure, but that's not close enough to be an alternative to a swimming pool (the way that I imagine, say, Steely Dan or Crawford just taking their kids to Lake Michigan or the beach, on hot summer days where they're dreaming of having a pool).

For a couple years, I had a disgusting green inground swimming pool in the backyard of the FL house I was occupying; the beach was 10-15 minutes away, and I was going there frequently. I only rehabilitated the pool when Code Enforcement forced me to. (After that, it was nice to have it, gotta admit.)

If there hadn't already been a pool there, I certainly would never have considered paying to have one installed. But it's something I would likely do in Atlanta. I like being in the water.
yes of course. We're lucky to have a friend here who owns two side by side houses, one of which has a beautiful pool and is rented out on AirBnB. We get over there frequently (less than a mile away) when he has vacancies.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Btw, in a situation like this with a pool as part of an ocean front house. Which do you think they use more? Do they ever use the pool? I guess the pool would give more privacy.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9709.../data=!3m1!1e3
Of course these have pools. The cost of the pool is a rounding error on the price of the property; why not have one?

The pool is warmer than the ocean in winter, so that's another reason to have one. You can have nice sunny weather in January/February but the ocean likely won't be warm enough to be pleasant (if you're a local; if you're Canadian then it's different).

After I was forced to rehab my pool, I was in it pretty often, and in the ocean a lot less. It's nicer to not have to go anywhere, it's right there in your back yard.

(Still not worth it IMO all things considered.)

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ also, there aren't any sharks or jellyfish or other creatures that can kill/injure you in the pool.

That is one nice care-free perk of great lakes beaches.

But beware the rip currents!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 20, 2022 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
The Florida Panhandle, in addition to be called "Redneck Riveria", is also sometimes referred to as "Atlanta's Beach". Sometimes when you stay at a hotel anywhere along the panhandle 50% or more of the cars are from metro Atlanta. We can also get to GA's surprisingly beautiful beaches, and South Carolina's, in about the same driving time.
I thought the Alabama coast, particularly Gulf Shores, was also called "Redneck Riviera"... I've never been there but there are supposedly tons of condo buildings along the Atlantic Coast there, and hence the nickname. Does the FL Panhandle have condo buildings along the coast?

Last edited by DCReid; Jul 20, 2022 at 6:02 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:19 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I thought the Alabama coast, particularly Gulf Shores, was also called "Redneck Riviera"... I've never been there but there are supposedly tons of condo buildings along the Atlantic Coast there, and hence the nickname. Does the FL Panhandle have condo buildings along the coast?
Alabama's coast is part of the Redneck Riveria. It's that whole stretch down there. It doesn't have anything to do with the types of properties along the beach.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Does the FL Panhandle have condo buildings along the coast?
yes, the panama city beach area is lined with highrise condos and vacation rental properties for miles.

source: https://worldsmarathons.com/marathon...beach-marathon

similar such stretches can also be found in fort walton beach, destin, and others.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Destin and Panama City have the condo buildings on the coast, but the real spot to visit on the panhandle is 30A, which is fantastic, especially if you have kids. There are like 5 or 6 beach towns peppered on the coast, the most notable being Rosemary Beach, Seaside Beach, & Alys Beach.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ also, there aren't any sharks or jellyfish or other creatures that can kill/injure you in the pool.

That is one nice care-free perk of great lakes beaches.

But beware the rip currents!
Depends on what decides to occupy your pool

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Lio, I believe this is becoming more common in London too, especially in the ultra-HNW neighborhoods. Something particular about British law which allows properties to build deep, even when they can't build up.

Do an image search for London basement pools for some serious opulence.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Depends on what decides to occupy your pool
fair point.

though, in a backyard pool situation, a little 5 second look-around will quickly alert you to any such dangers lurking in the water.

and here in the upper midwest, the most "dangerous" animal you'll find in a backyard pool is the occasional frog or salamander.

out in the ocean, not so much....

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 21, 2022 at 4:54 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions