HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 9:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
(Not sure which type is more common, I mostly remember SI as being SFH territory.)
according to the 2019 ACS 5-year, here's the housing unit breakdown for Richmond County (Staten Island):

1-unit, detached - 34.3
1-unit, attached - 25.3
2 units - 23.3
3 or 4 units - 3.3
5 to 9 units - 1.9
10 to 19 units - 1.3
20 or more units - 10.3
Mobile home - 0.2
Boat, RV, van, etc. - 0.0

that is, BY FAR, the highest percentage of detached SFH's of any NYC borough*, but that still leaves nearly 2/3 of all housing units in the borough in attached SFH or multifamily buildings, with row/town houses and 2-flats (or whatever they're called in NYC) being extremely common typologies. then relatively little in the 3-19 unit zone, and finally a decent amount of larger apartment buildings.

(*) for reference, here are the detached SFH percentages for the other boroughs:

manhattan - 1.2% (???? i have no idea how this is possible. i would've guessed that manhattan would be <0.01% detached SFH).
brooklyn - 5.1%
the bronx - 6.0%
queens - 18.9%

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 2, 2022 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 9:10 PM

How can Manhattan have 1% detached homes? They're so rare, there's that one block in Inwood that has a few that everyone talks about.

Maybe it's just some weird ACS estimate issue, like how they estimate there are a few people living in trailer parks in NYC, when there are none.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 9:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
How can Manhattan have 1% detached homes? They're so rare, there's that one block in Inwood that has a few that everyone talks about.

Maybe it's just some weird ACS estimate issue, like how they estimate there are a few people living in trailer parks in NYC, when there are none.
yeah, i don't get it either, but the ACS claims there are 10,317 detached SFH housing units in New York County, which seems patently absurd on the surface of it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Newish condo tower, or old converted building with only a handful of units?

(Not sure which type is more common, I mostly remember SI as being SFH territory.)
South Shore of SI is very heavily SFH.

The North Shore, near the ferries, is the oldest part of the island, and pretty urban/multifamily-oriented. It has the more typical urban fabric of lofts, condos, rowhouses, etc.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 9:28 PM

I have evicted two tenants in my landlording career and each have now found creative ways to retaliate. The first one got a job at my company, where she lasted about 7 weeks, and early on followed me into the men's bathroom, claiming she thought it was the women's. Last night I found that the second figured out where I live and rented the apartment right next door. My bedroom window is now 15 feet from his.

This is the crap you have to put up with as a landlord, but you know, we're all "leaches".

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
according to the 2019 ACS 5-year, here's the housing unit breakdown for Richmond County (Staten Island):

1-unit, detached - 34.3
1-unit, attached - 25.3
2 units - 23.3
3 or 4 units - 3.3
5 to 9 units - 1.9
10 to 19 units - 1.3
20 or more units - 10.3
Mobile home - 0.2
Boat, RV, van, etc. - 0.0

that is, BY FAR, the highest percentage of detached SFH's of any NYC borough*, but that still leaves nearly 2/3 of all housing units in the borough in attached SFH or multifamily buildings, with row/town houses and 2-flats (or whatever they're called in NYC) being extremely common typologies. then relatively little in the 3-19 unit zone, and finally a decent amount of larger apartment buildings.

(*) for reference, here are the detached SFH percentages for the other boroughs:

manhattan - 1.2% (???? i have no idea how this is possible. i would've guessed that manhattan would be <0.01% detached SFH).
brooklyn - 5.1%
the bronx - 6.0%
queens - 18.9%
Yeah, 1% seems very high for Manhattan, while 5-6% seems slightly low for Brooklyn and the Bronx. I would've guessed about 10% for Brooklyn.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 12:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, 1% seems very high for Manhattan.
Either that manhattan figure is wrong, or the CB defines "detached SFH" in some wacky, meaningless way.

Quote:
while 5-6% seems slightly low for Brooklyn and the Bronx. I would've guessed about 10% for Brooklyn.
Multi-family has a way of "hiding in plain sight" sometimes. That structure that looks like a regular old SFH house might actually have an attic and/or basement apartment, especially in a big dense hyper-urban city like NYC where every single square foot counts.

You get enough of those kinds of things happening and a neighborhood that looks like it might be 10% detached SFH may in reality only be 5%.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 3, 2022 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:28 AM

I wanted to say, I'm impressed by the size of the windows in Steely's basement.

Here (Quebec), basements usually have windows only in the upper 1/5th of the walls (which, from outside, are really just above ground level).

I wouldn't even call what Steely has a basement, it looks like it's almost closer to being a street-level story. (Officially, there's such a thing, at least here, as a "half-basement". No one here would ever call Steely's lower floor a basement.)

Here's a circa 1975 house that has two full levels. The lower level is the basement, called "a finished basement", but there's bedrooms and living rooms down there (and if I recall, a bathroom) and the ceilings are just as high as they are on the upper floor.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.4017...7i13312!8i6656

I picked that example 'cause I'm familiar with it, but it's an extremely common house design here. You have to have the foundation go down pretty deep (the foot of it has to be low enough in the ground to never freeze) so while at it, you make sure it's got the full ceiling height of a normal story, and boom, you got an extra level (whose little "flaw" is that the windows are not in the middle of the heights of the walls, but rather, at the top).

edit--in that Street View, the neighbors on both sides are also houses that have two full levels. (So does nearly all of the street.)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Multi-family has a way of "hiding in plain sight" sometimes. That structure that looks like a regular old SFH house might actually have an attic and/or basement apartment, especially in a big dense hyper-urban city like NYC where every single square foot counts.

You get enough of those kinds of things happening and a neighborhood that looks like it might be 10% detached SFH may in reality only be 5%.
Right, you can't really tell unit count from exterior appearances.

This brownstone was an eight-unit building until relatively recently. Now it's a SFH. And even it has its own garage, the rarest of brownstone amenities:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...!4d-73.9754501

A huge number of Brooklyn brownstones were converted to multiunit housing beginning in the Great Depression, when these neighborhoods were no longer fashionable. They were essentially rooming houses for new immigrants.

Currently for sale for $12 million, if anyone's interested.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 2:36 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
I wanted to say, I'm impressed by the size of the windows in Steely's basement.

Here (Quebec), basements usually have windows only in the upper 1/5th of the walls (which, from outside, are really just above ground level).

I wouldn't even call what Steely has a basement, it looks like it's almost closer to being a street-level story. (Officially, there's such a thing, at least here, as a "half-basement". No one here would ever call Steely's lower floor a basement.)

Here's a circa 1975 house that has two full levels. The lower level is the basement, called "a finished basement", but there's bedrooms and living rooms down there (and if I recall, a bathroom) and the ceilings are just as high as they are on the upper floor.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.4017...7i13312!8i6656

I picked that example 'cause I'm familiar with it, but it's an extremely common house design here. You have to have the foundation go down pretty deep (the foot of it has to be low enough in the ground to never freeze) so while at it, you make sure it's got the full ceiling height of a normal story, and boom, you got an extra level (whose little "flaw" is that the windows are not in the middle of the heights of the walls, but rather, at the top).

edit--in that Street View, the neighbors on both sides are also houses that have two full levels. (So does nearly all of the street.)
The definition of "basement" and "cellar" depends on how your local building department defines those terms. Generally speaking:

Basement = space with floor level below-grade, but with some or most of the space above grade level. Often has windows, some as large as the one that Steely's unit has.
Cellar = space with floor level below-grade, but with most or all of the space below grade level. Sometimes has small slit windows. Sometimes has no windows because the space is entirely below grade.

The legal habitability of below-grade space depends on your local building department's rules as well.

In NYC, the below-grade space in that circa-1975 Quebec house would be considered a cellar because most (or all) of the space is below grade. Therefore, it is technically illegal to have a finished living room, bedrooms, or any living areas there because NYC forbids any "living spaces" in cellars. This rule exists mainly because of NYC's traditional housing crunch situation, in which cellars are often rented out as cheap living space. The main issue with cellars is lack of enough egress points in case of fires or flooding (as we learned this past summer).

Therefore, the "basement" apartments with flooding deaths during the NYC summer nor'easter were not basements at all, but rather cellars.

The ground level apartment in Crawford's brownstone (which is technically an attached house with lime exterior, not brownstone) would be considered a basement per NYC DOB rules. Even if its floor was only one or two steps below grade, the NYC DOB defines that level as a basement. As you can see, the main difference is that there are windows, and they are large enough to provide egress in case of emergencies.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...!4d-73.9754501

Another issue is natural lighting & ventilation. Any room without adequate natural lighting & ventilation (whether by window or skylight) would not be considered a living area (living room or bedroom) by NYC DOB. Therefore, none of the below-grade rooms in the circa-1975 Quebec house could be legally inhabited as a living room or bedroom.

Finally, egress windows. The minimum egress window opening size and sill height above floor-finish is by code. The basics:
- minimum 44" above floor
- minimum 20" egress width
- minimum 24" egress height
- minimum 5.7 square feet egress opening area

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:

Yeah, 5% is plausible, but my senses just thought it would be slightly more. I was thinking of areas like this which have a lot of tightly packed detached SFH structures. Granted, the other side of this street is all row housing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:15 PM

Marine Park is pretty atypical for Brooklyn, though. It's a pretty extreme outlier, actually.

And even those detached homes could theoretically be legal 2-unit buildings (and more are likely illegal 2-unit buildings).

Any direct outside doorway to a basement/cellar, and it's probably a 2-unit, whether legal or not.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Yeah, 5% is plausible, but my senses just thought it would be slightly more.
when it comes to these sorts of things, never trust your senses.

detached SFH's (even when they're on narrow city lots) take up A LOT more land area than multi-family units do.

by lots, my city block is about 20% detached SFHs, but because the other 80% of the lots on my street are all small-scale multi-family and corner apartment buildings, those SFH's make up less than 5% of the actual housing units on my street.

so the perception you might get from walking down my block is that it's about one fifth SFH, but the reality is much different, because all of those other lots have anywhere from 2 - 6 housing units crammed onto them.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 6:06 PM

I went to Google Maps to look for detached SFHs in Manhattan and I really can't see how there could be 10,000+ of them on the island. I went to the furthest north, most remote corner of Manhattan thinking that might be somewhat low density at least, but this is what it looks like: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8719...7i16384!8i8192

That type of development is denser than just about anywhere else I can think of in the US, and that's on the very fringe of Manhattan. NYC is just a crazy outlier when it comes to urban development patterns in the US. Nothing else even remotely compares.

However, it is interesting to see this type of stuff just north of Manhattan in the Bronx: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8953...7i16384!8i8192

I had a friend from college who went to school at Riverdale. Born and raised Upper East Side girl who used to talk about her high school being in 'the country', but still being in NYC. I couldn't believe that such an area existed in the Bronx. It looks more like where I grew up in suburban Cincy!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I went to Google Maps to look for detached SFHs in Manhattan and I really can't see how there could be 10,000+ of them on the island. I went to the furthest north, most remote corner of Manhattan thinking that might be somewhat low density at least, but this is what it looks like: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8719...7i16384!8i8192

That type of development is denser than just about anywhere else I can think of in the US, and that's on the very fringe of Manhattan. NYC is just a crazy outlier when it comes to urban development patterns in the US. Nothing else even remotely compares.

However, it is interesting to see this type of stuff just north of Manhattan in the Bronx: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8953...7i16384!8i8192

I had a friend from college who went to school at Riverdale. Born and raised Upper East Side girl who used to talk about her high school being in 'the country', but still being in NYC. I couldn't believe that such an area existed in the Bronx. It looks more like where I grew up in suburban Cincy!
This is technically Manhattan too: https://goo.gl/maps/s6YyQyDPm2q98QJw8

So there are more detached SFHs (at least outwardly appearing) in the borough, but I'm still not seeing where they found 10,000 units.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
what's the story behind that funny little area technically being in new york county?

i mean, it's clearly on the other side of the river in the bronx.

did the harlem river have its course changed so now that little area is on the "wrong" side?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
what's the story behind that funny little area technically being in new york county?

i mean, it's clearly on the other side of the river in the bronx. did the harlem river have its course changed so now that little area is on the "wrong" side?
Yeah, that's kind of what happened. It was separated from Manhattan island by a canal and then the other side of it was connected to the mainland with infill.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:

So there are more detached SFHs (at least outwardly appearing) in the borough, but I'm still not seeing where they found 10,000 units.
The Marble Hill neighborhood is politically the Bronx, but yes, officially Manhattan, since it was part of the island until the Harlem River was re-routed. Not sure if the Census would count Marble Hill census tracts as Manhattan or Bronx.

But Marble Hill is tiny, and doesn't have that many detached SFH. Most of Marble Hill lives in the Marble Hill Houses, a large housing project.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 8:15 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Maybe their margin of error is 1.1% and they maxed it out. Or somebody wasn't differentiating between attached and detached correctly.

Any stats on how much attached SFH there is in Manhattan?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 8:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Maybe their margin of error is 1.1% and they maxed it out. Or somebody wasn't differentiating between attached and detached correctly.

Any stats on how much attached SFH there is in Manhattan?
that same 2019 ACS 5 year estimate say new york county has 6,869 attached SFH units, for 0.8% of the total housing units.

so yeah, my guess is that someone is screwing up the attached/detached distinction, because 2% total SFH units in manhattan starts to sound at least plausible (though still high).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions