HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
^Those Pacific Palisades houses are beautiful but yikes at those prices per square foot.
Those prices are insane!

Speaking of which...

I am loving the bedroom, the kitchen, and all the natural light of this one! And of course the indoor/outdoor living...

Mid-Century Modern Home With Sweeping Views of Los Angeles Lists for Nearly $10 Million

It was once owned by Liza Minnelli and the late Jack Haley Jr., and later Christina Aguilera

A Mid-Century Modern home in Los Angeles once owned by Liza Minnelli and the late Jack Haley Jr., and later Christina Aguilera, has hit the market for just under $10 million.

Located in the Bird Streets neighborhood in the Hollywood Hills, the residence was built in 1960 in a design inspired by the renowned architect John Lautner and overlooks the Los Angeles Basin, according to listing agent Peter Lavin of the Beachwood Team.

“It has amazing views and very forward-thinking architecture,” he said.

The more than 6,500-square-foot home has four bedrooms, four full bathrooms and three powder rooms over one floor, according to the listing. It was modernized in the early aughts by Los Angeles-based designer Steve Hermann.

Materials such as black terrazzo, marble, walnut and zebra-wood can be found throughout the home. The main living area has an open layout with wooden floors and ceilings, a bar and a sunken hexagonal lounge centered by a fireplace surrounded by a metal mantel that extends to the ceiling.

The eat-in kitchen features commercial-grade appliances, and there are floor-to-ceiling windows and doors to let in the California sun. Other amenities include a primary bedroom suite with two fireplaces and a dressing room, a 12-person spa with a fireplace and a pool.

There’s also a lower level with an 18-seat theater with an adjacent bar and wine storage.

“That used to be Christina Aguilera’s recording studio, but the current owner didn’t have a need for the studio, so he made the theater,” Mr. Lavin said.

The home was built for the Emmy Award-winning television and film director Jack Haley Jr., whose credits include “That’s Entertainment!” (1974) and “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: 50 Years of Magic” (1990). He was the son of the actor Jack Haley, who played the Tin Man in the aforementioned Hollywood classic, and, in the 1970s, was briefly married to Ms. Minnelli, whose mother, Judy Garland, played Dorothy.

The couple lived together in the house, but divorced in 1979. Mr. Haley continued living there until his death in 2001 at age 67.

Soon afterward, Ms. Aguilera moved in. She made her home there until 2011, when it was sold to the current owner for $4.65 million, according to records with PropertyShark. He was not available for comment.

Link: https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...MiqyOWVA2kSzfo

Here's the Zillow listing for it: https://www.zillow.com/homes/1443-De...nGc8uPGCqXyHVY

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:35 PM
Dryer lint inspector

That $83 million dollar house. I would put an offer on it but I'd be afraid of it rolling down the hill during the next mudslide/ earthquake/ alien invasion so I will just my modest house in suburban Houston.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
For some reason, units in this building seem to go for way under their list price compared to nearby buildings: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/40.../home/18761430
That's the view you have from your unit?!? Sign me up, the building can be named after Hillary or Stalin or Hitler!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:48 AM

I'm considering buying this house, the location is slightly inconvenient but I've always wanted to live in a house from the 1600s or earlier ("earlier" not being findable on this side of the Atlantic).

https://www.remax-quebec.com/en/hous...s-14662376.rmx

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That's the view you have from your unit?!? Sign me up, the building can be named after Hillary or Stalin or Hitler!

Except for the INSANE HOAs you will pay to live in there. It's the same problem you get along LSD. Great prices with views, but >$600/month starting out HOAs.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:48 AM

Quote:
I'm considering buying this house, the location is slightly inconvenient but I've always wanted to live in a house from the 1600s or earlier ("earlier" not being findable on this side of the Atlantic).

Reminds me from when I was young. My parent’s apartment was a converted stable dating from the 16th century. Talk about flooding issues.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 9:29 PM

From the Pasadena Star News:

Greene and Greene’s Bolton House in Pasadena seeks $5 million

Known as the Dr. W.T. Bolton House after the prominent physician who commissioned it in 1906, this Pasadena relic of early 20th century Craftsman architecture by Greene and Greene and later updated holds six bedrooms, seven bathrooms and 7,100 square feet of living space across two levels. Another owner commissioned architect Garrett Van Pelt to add a two-story oriel window that lines the large staircase. The house is for sale at nearly $5 million. (Photo by Cameron Carothers)

By Sandra Barrera | sbarrera@scng.com | Daily News

PUBLISHED: December 8, 2021 at 4:34 p.m. | UPDATED: December 9, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.

Before the Gamble House or the Blacker House, sibling architects Charles and Henry Greene completed this early Craftsman in Pasadena for a prominent physician.

The Dr. W.T. Bolton House is up for sale at nearly $5 million.

Within 7,100 square feet of this property added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 are six bedrooms, seven bathrooms and two kitchens. That includes a commercial kitchen in the basement, accessible by elevator.

The basement contains an enclosed area for kitchen prep and a wider living area. They’re among the updates made to the house since its completion in 1906.

After changing hands in 1918, the new homeowners — sisters Cordelia, Kate and Margaret Culbertson — brought in architect Garrett Van Pelt to add a two-story oriel window in place of the flat articulated horizontal window that originally lined the large staircase.

The addition “undoubtedly brought in a sense of modernity when complete and possibly prolonged the existence of the house during a time when Craftsman homes began falling out of favor and large estates like this met their demise,” the listing reads.

More recently, a multi-year rehab started in the 1980s saw the restoration or replacement of existing wood features such as paneling, floors and cabinetry.

Built-ins, stained glass and Craftsman-era light fixtures add to the home’s character.

Other features include a butler’s pantry, formal dining and living rooms and a sunroom. There’s a sleeping porch off the primary suite and two additional en-suite bedrooms with sleeping porches.

A staircase hidden behind a door leads to the finished attic.

The two-car garage and guest house complete the grounds.

The property last changed hands in January 2015 for $2.7 million, records show. It has been on and off the market since December 2018, when it sought $4 million. This week it returned to the Multiple Listing Service for $4.999 million.

Although it’s on the national registry, the property does not receive property tax breaks under the Mills Act, but buyers are encouraged to apply for it.

Matthew Berkley and Scott Lander of DPP Real Estate, the new moniker of Deasy Penner Podley, share the listing.

The foyer. (Photo by Cameron Carothers)

The living room. (Photo by Cameron Carothers)

The kitchen. (Photo by Cameron Carothers)

The sunroom. (Photo by Cameron Carothers)

Link: https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/202...eks-5-million/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:

Looks beautiful. And considering the housing prices in Canada, $425k is great, especially since it's less than 30 minutes from Quebec City which has real jobs, with beautiful mountain views nearby.

Why the heck are people paying $2 million for shit-stained tear-downs in Brampton and Oshawa, when you can beautiful, historic housing just one Province away?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 9:43 PM

I have a $600k pre-approval and work in D.C. proper (though have been teleworking since COVID and that'll be reduced to probably 3 days in-person with the new remote work trend).

I'm a bit torn since I'm a huge Virginia stan (love the mountains and scenic beauty, and how the State is governed - business-friendly, technocratic bent, socially liberal), but the prettiest cities in the D.C. area are in Maryland, namely:

Frederick, MD

and Annapolis, MD

Both are also very cheap for what they offer (Frederick is on the Appalachian foothills and is very green and forested, like the European countryside, while Annapolis is on the Bay and feels like a maritime British city).

I'm so torn on what to do. I used to live in Alexandria, VA, and loved the city and its gargantuan Old Town. It's also only 10 minutes from D.C. by car and linked to by metro (something Annapolis/Frederick don't have).

But $600k doesn't get a rowhouse or anything historic there, so I'd be living in a modern-condo/apartment tower, which isn't ideal, since I need a 3-bedroom and want to buy a detached home or rowhouse before they become so expensive I can't buy in.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:47 PM

From the LA Times:

In Southern California, a slight slowdown in the housing market still means record prices

BY ANDREW KHOURISTAFF WRITER
DEC. 16, 2021 5 AM PT

Southern California home prices jumped nearly 16% in November from a year earlier, showing how the market is still ultra-competitive despite a slight slowdown that began to set in several months ago.

Some buyers sat out the bidding wars after a particularly frenzied period last spring, but plenty of shoppers stayed the course, driving prices up to successive new records in recent months.

The region’s six-county median sales price reached an all-time high of $693,500 in November, according to data released Thursday by real estate firm DQNews. That’s 0.5% higher than in the previous month, October, and 15.6% higher than in November 2020. Sales rose 1.8% from that year-earlier period.

Some economists expect home price appreciation will slow to single digits next year, in part because they expect mortgage rates will rise. That could be more likely to happen after the Federal Reserve on Wednesday announced more aggressive plans to fight inflation, but for now average mortgage interest rates remain in the low 3% range.

In addition to historically low borrowing costs, several other factors continue to fuel today’s competitive market with fast-rising prices. More millennials want to become first-time buyers, and investors are increasingly buying homes to rent or flip. In addition, many white-collar workers did well financially during the pandemic and put some of their booming stock portfolios into down payments.

Squeezing the market is the supply of homes for sale, which is at record lows. That has potential buyers one-upping one another in bidding wars that cause homes to sell for tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars over list price.

The sharp price increases are pushing some people to leave their communities to afford a home, moving from Los Angeles to San Bernardino and from San Bernardino out of state altogether, to places such as Arizona.

In November, the biggest price rises from a year earlier were in the Southland’s less-expensive counties of Riverside and San Bernardino, which each hit new median home price records.

In Los Angeles and Orange counties, November home prices hovered below the record levels reached, respectively, in September and October, but they were significantly higher than in November 2020.

Many economists and housing policy experts say Southern California, and the nation as a whole, must build far more homes — both market rate and subsidized — if owning and renting are to be more affordable. But developers say restrictive building and zoning rules, particularly in California, have long limited their ability to meet demand, and lately, supply chain issues have delayed some projects even more.

Whether relief for buyers is on the horizon remains to be seen.

In recent months, the market has cooled somewhat, with real estate agents reporting bidding wars are less intense but still common. Competition for homes typically wanes in fall and winter, so it’s difficult to know how much of the slowdown is the result of normal seasonal patterns versus a market that will be better for buyers in the long run.

Selma Hepp, an economist at CoreLogic, said she expected more of a slowdown in sales by now, noting that transactions usually fall between October and November but dropped less this year than normal.

The annual median price increase for all of Southern California, 15.6%, is lower than the 20% rise that was common in months earlier this year, but it’s also a few percentage points higher than a recent low of 12.6% in September.

This slight acceleration of year-over-year price increases the last two months could indicate a pickup in price appreciation is underway, but Hepp said she doesn’t believe that’s the case. The pickup is probably due to more luxury homes selling, therefore pushing the median value slightly higher, rather than a true price acceleration, she said.

CoreLogic predicts year-over-year home price gains will slow in 2022, reaching 1.9% in L.A. County by November of next year. John Burns Real Estate Consulting also expects a price slowdown next year, to the high single digits.

A CoreLogic index that aims for a more accurate — if delayed — view of prices than the median shows a slowdown has started, though barely. According to that index, L.A. County prices rose 14.1% in November from a year earlier, compared with a 14.9% year-over-year gain in August.

For now, here’s a county-by-county breakdown of home prices and sales in November compared with a year earlier, as tracked by DQNews.

-In Los Angeles County, the median sales price rose 12.6% to $788,000, and sales rose 7.7%.

-In Orange County, the median sales price rose 14.9% to $919,000, and sales fell 3.5%.

-In Riverside County, the median sales price rose 20.2% to $546,750, and sales rose 2.5%.

-In San Bernardino County, the median sales price rose 18.8% to $475,000, and sales rose 5.6%.

-In San Diego County, the median sales price rose 15.4% to $750,000, and sales fell 7%.

-In Ventura County, the median sales price rose 14.6% to $755,000, and sales fell 0.6%.

Link: https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...et-record-high

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 4:02 AM

Not my city or metro area (but a place I visit often)...

Check out Julia Roberts' house in San Francisco, in the lovely Presidio Heights neighborhood.

From the NY Post:

Inside Julia Roberts’ stunning $8.3M San Francisco home

By Mary K. Jacob

December 28, 2021 | 5:13pm | Updated

“Pretty Woman,” prettier house.

Julia Roberts shelled out $8.3 million for a five-story century-old Victorian Revival-style home in the heart of San Francisco.

The Post has obtained photos of the five-bedroom, 4.5-bathroom property, located in the quiet and low-key Presidio Heights neighborhood.

Roberts, 54, purchased the 6,245-square-foot stunner on Jan. 6, 2020 after a nearly $2 million price cut. It was originally listed for $10.25 million.

The A-list actress — who was most recently spotted basking in the Australian sun in a hot pink swimsuit — is known for her acclaimed roles including “Erin Brockovich,” for which she won an Academy Award, “Steel Magnolias,” “Pretty Woman” and “August: Osage County,” among many others.

Built in 1907-’08 by architect Sylvain Schnaittacher and remodeled by John Wheatman, the “Homecoming” star’s residence boasts views of the San Francisco Bay and Golden Gate Bridge from the kitchen, family room and the primary bedroom suite.

Realtor.com

The home includes a bonus room on the top floor, in addition to the five floors, and a two-car tandem garage, wine room, outdoor dining space and garden.

Property records show the home is under the “Grayfox Trust,” the same trust associated with her country-spanning collection of real estate, including a scenic ranch in Malibu’s Point Dume and a West Village co-op in New York City.

The primary bedroom. Realtor.com

Interior features include a custom gourmet kitchen with marble countertops, six burner gas stove top, two dishwashers, two sink stations, a walk-in pantry, a breakfast bar and breakfast area, a previous listing said. Additionally, there is a wet bar, wine fridge and desk area.

In the kitchen is a back hallway which leads to a second set of stairs to the other four floors.

The kitchen. Realtor.com

The grand staircase features stained-glass windows.

On the third floor is primary en-suite bedroom which has a walk-out slate balcony and skylight. There is also a separate dressing table area, walk-in closet with wood-paneled doors, a large remodeled bath with split vanities and a separate shower and tub.

In 2016, she sold her sprawling Hawaiian oceanfront estate for $16.2 million.

Realtor.com

Realtor.com

Realtor.com

Link, with more pics: https://nypost.com/2021/12/28/inside...asZ9W13O2CWT8A

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 5:12 AM

From Dirt:

Bette Davis House in Laguna Beach Still Seeking Buyer, Now at Lower Price

By Wendy Bowman
December 26, 2021 6:32 am PT

For almost a year now, Canadian entrepreneur Richard Wernham has been trying to unload his stunning oceanfront home in the Woods Cove neighborhood of Laguna Beach. But with no takers — despite it having the added cache of serving as the onetime home of legendary actress Bette Davis — the historic French Normandy-style estate has undergone a couple of price chops during the past eight months. Now the Toronto-based global wealth manager and his wife Julia West are seeking a substantially reduced $17 million for the place, a whopping $3 million less than the original ask.

If Wernham and West do get anywhere near the reduced ask, it will still be more than the $13.5 million they paid in 2004. During their tenure, though, the couple made significant updates to the home’s eight bathrooms and two kitchens. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, the structure also will transfer with a 10-year Mills Act contract, meaning homeowners are eligible for reduced property taxes in exchange for preserving the historic house.

Built way back in 1929, and designed by noted local artist and architect Aubrey St. Clair, the house originally belonged to newspaper mogul Charles H. Prisk, owner of the Pasadena Star-News and Long Beach Press-Telegram. Davis purchased the home in 1947, and the two-time Oscar winner lived there with her third husband, artist and former boxer William Grant Sherry, and their daughter Barbara until 1950. According to listing agent John Cain of Pacific Sotheby’s International Realty, signs of the late star remain to this day in the form of a stained-glass crest featuring the letter “D” on a glass door and another wrought-iron “D” gracing a chimney.

Perched high atop a bluff overlooking the rugged Orange County coastline, on a 0.16-acre parcel surrounded by walls and accessible via a gated street-side entrance, the white stucco structure sports an exterior adorned with decorative half-timber framing, green-trimmed windows and a shingled roof.

Redfin

A charming private courtyard greets and leads to the main house, which includes six bedrooms and eight baths spread across more than 5,400 square feet of living space punctuated throughout by oak floors, arched doorways and leaded glass. Abundant terraces and windows offer up unobstructed ocean views from almost every room.

Redfin

The courtyard also opens to a separate guest cottage with two ensuite bedrooms, a fireside living room and full kitchen, plus an al fresco dining terrace sporting a built-in barbecue, gazebo and stairs descending to a lower lounge area with access to the beach.

Redfin

Once inside the main house, a spacious great room rests under a coffered wood ceiling and displays a massive stone fireplace. A fireside living room connects to a formal dining room, and a gourmet kitchen is outfitted with high-end stainless appliances, a center island and combination butler’s pantry/breakfast nook.

Redfin

Redfin

Elsewhere on the main level is a sitting room with a fireplace and a “lookout room” — the latter of which is ideal for relaxing and peering out at the jaw-dropping ocean vistas.

Redfin

Redfin

Redfin

Redfin

[...]

Link, with more pictures: https://www.dirt.com/gallery/more-di...davishouse_lb/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 5:30 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I have a $600k pre-approval and work in D.C. proper (though have been teleworking since COVID and that'll be reduced to probably 3 days in-person with the new remote work trend).

I'm a bit torn since I'm a huge Virginia stan (love the mountains and scenic beauty, and how the State is governed - business-friendly, technocratic bent, socially liberal), but the prettiest cities in the D.C. area are in Maryland, namely:

Frederick, MD

and Annapolis, MD

Both are also very cheap for what they offer (Frederick is on the Appalachian foothills and is very green and forested, like the European countryside, while Annapolis is on the Bay and feels like a maritime British city).

I'm so torn on what to do. I used to live in Alexandria, VA, and loved the city and its gargantuan Old Town. It's also only 10 minutes from D.C. by car and linked to by metro (something Annapolis/Frederick don't have).

But $600k doesn't get a rowhouse or anything historic there, so I'd be living in a modern-condo/apartment tower, which isn't ideal, since I need a 3-bedroom and want to buy a detached home or rowhouse before they become so expensive I can't buy in.

How is Fredericksburg? Too small, too far? Winchester also looks pretty nice but is almost certainly too far.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 10:59 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
"]
Now, see... This is the kind of house where people get murdered in horror movies. It just seems like it would be dangerous to live here. Or worse, insulting, because they'll do an exterior shot, make no attempt whatsoever to hide the palm trees, and then say it's supposed to be in Vermont or some shit. Either way, it's just not worth the risk.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Now, see... This is the kind of house where people get murdered in horror movies. It just seems like it would be dangerous to live here. Or worse, insulting, because they'll do an exterior shot, make no attempt whatsoever to hide the palm trees, and then say it's supposed to be in Vermont or some shit. Either way, it's just not worth the risk.
Oh but I love it. Way too expensive for me, but shit, if I were forced to live in it, I wouldn't mind.

THIS scene, to me, looks like it'd be in the opening credits of a film or TV show:

Growing up, those "small-town Americana" scenes always looked like some mythical place to me, being from southern California. Because obviously MY "America" didn't look like that.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 4:10 PM

Frederick MD is gorgeous.

Though I'm more of a water person and would assume to lean toward Annapolis, long term, I think Frederick has a higher likelihood of being pulled into DC's orbit explicitly even though it's further away than Annapolis.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 6:15 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Fredericksburg VA/Winchester/Hagerstown/Frederick/York/Reading/Lancaster/Cumberland/Hanover/Pottstown/West Chester are sort of their own urbanist clique

unheralded , dense, rowhouses, medium sized, small cities near Phila/Bmore/DC

the closest the US gets to a southern English land- and cityscape

Last edited by dc_denizen; Dec 30, 2021 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 11:48 PM

From Barron's:

‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Creator Shonda Rhimes Sells Century-Old Los Angeles House

By Liz Lucking Jan. 7, 2022 10:23 am ET

Shonda Rhimes sold her Los Angeles mansion for $21 million earlier this week.
COMPOSITE: GOOGLE MAPS; GETTY IMAGES

TV producer extraordinaire Shonda Rhimes, creator of some of the most binge-worthy shows around, sold her century-old Los Angeles mansion Tuesday for $21 million.

Walled and gated, the home is “one of the most spectacular properties” ever offered within the city’s historic and well-to-do Hancock Park, according to the listing with Ed Solorzano of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices California Properties, who, through a representative, declined to comment on the deal.

Built in 1923 by Elmer Grey, a prolific Southern California architect who also designed the Beverly Hills Hotel, the seven-bedroom home was thoroughly overhauled by Ms. Rhimes, whose first impression of the house was that “it was ugly,” according to Architectural Digest.

But Ms. Rhimes, 51, returned the house to its original glory during her eight-year tenure—which began in 2014, when she bought the home for $8.8 million, property records show.

The process included recreating its front exterior, adding skylights with custom hand-blown glass to bring in light, and reworking the three-story home’s interior while maintaining what was original. Now, there are custom details throughout such as crown molding, designer lighting and Venetian plaster, according to the listing.

Plus, the almost 12,000-square-foot spread boasts a marble foyer, a formal dining room, an eat-in chef’s kitchen, a family room and a library. There’s also ornate ceilings, a two-story gallery with a wrought iron mezzanine and a home theater with a snack bar.

Elsewhere on the compound, a guest house is fitted with a hair salon and the large backyard is home to a patio, a pool, a cabana and a hedged secret garden.

Mansion Global could not identify the buyer as a record of the deal has not yet been made publicly available.

Ms. Rhimes is the founder of production company Shondaland, and the creator behind much-loved shows including “Grey’s Anatomy,” “How to Get Away With Murder” and “Bridgerton.”

A representative for the producer couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

The Los Angeles Times first reported the sale.

Link: https://www.barrons.com/articles/gre...se-01641568990

See pics of her house in Architectural Digest: https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...de-her-la-home

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:05 PM

Officially under contract on a $469k condo in Logan Square in Chicago.... Same condo would easily have been $600k or more in Denver.....

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Officially under contract on a $469k condo in Logan Square in Chicago.... Same condo would easily have been $600k or more in Denver.....
Congrats! And you can hop on the blue line and fly to Denver pretty inexpensively if you want .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions