HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:17 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I've always loved Buena Vista Park because you can just stroll in off the street on 3 sides, stroll in one side and out the other and so on. It sits there enticing you as you walk by. This park is not that way. It has to be your primary destination, at least for a period of time, rather than a casual diversion. With more escalators that could have been incrementally easier but we'll see if it's easy enough as is.
This is an age old problem in architecture and planning. You need really good circulation and access to get people to use a raised or lowered park space. Preferably really long ramps so people can casually stroll up or down to the location. Having to use elevators or escalators subconsciously makes the destination into a removed separate plane from the urban fabric. It can be done though - the High Line figured it out.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBuildings888 View Post
I haven’t checked out the place yet, which I will, but maybe they should have made the building taller but less wide. Maybe that will make the building even more attractive looking. Also, why do they have the bus service on the 3rd floor? Wouldn’t it be better if it was on the main floor or 2nd floor?
Buses are on the 3rd floor because of the elevated "bridge" entrance for them to access in and out of the terminal quick without bothering in-city traffic. The 2nd floor would be too low for the bridge.

I haven't really checked it out but I think they're still working on the 2nd floor as a gym is looking to lease a 34,000 SQ Ft space. Apparently 2 Philz locations will be opened in both the east and west end according to this article from July 8th: https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...t-13057073.php

The restaurant on top of the park is still under construction. My coworkers were talking about how it would be nice if there was a bar up there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Buses are on the 3rd floor because of the elevated "bridge" entrance for them to access in and out of the terminal quick without bothering in-city traffic. The 2nd floor would be too low for the bridge.
As someone living on Fremont St, I am thrilled about AC transit no longer using the street as an overflow parking lot to enter the temporary terminal during commute hours.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:37 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
As someone living on Fremont St, I am thrilled about AC transit no longer using the street as an overflow parking lot to enter the temporary terminal during commute hours.
Enjoy it until construction begins on the temporary terminal's new buildings.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Enjoy it until construction begins on the temporary terminal's new buildings.
The Avery should wrap up soon so the construction noise/traffic should remain constant.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:15 AM

Greyhound/Amtrak Ticket Office, Waiting Room

The Greyhound/Amtrak Ticket Office and Waiting Room when completed will be located on the 2nd floor off of a small lobby, the bus deck is above on the 3rd floor. A person will have to be prepared with time to spare to locate this somewhat hidden location. There is only one way to get to this location on the 2nd floor, by one elevator or an escalator. Under construction when I visited August 13, 2018.

The Greyhound, Amtrak Ticket Office/Lounge

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:05 PM

There was a free music event last night from 5pm-6pm

They even served alcohol:

There was also a small market on the ground floor

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:34 AM
Sonoma Strong

The park looks like it was busy, but the market needs more people.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The Greyhound/Amtrak Ticket Office and Waiting Room when completed will be located on the 2nd floor off of a small lobby, the bus deck is above on the 3rd floor. A person will have to be prepared with time to spare to locate this somewhat hidden location. There is only one way to get to this location on the 2nd floor, by one elevator or an escalator. Under construction when I visited August 13, 2018.
It may be that what is needed is more/better directional signage. In my brief visit I was wondering where this office was and I never saw any signs or indication of where it was. Yes, I didn't use the main entrance. But I shouldn't have to. There should be prominent directional signage to something like this at every entrance.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It may be that what is needed is more/better directional signage. In my brief visit I was wondering where this office was and I never saw any signs or indication of where it was. Yes, I didn't use the main entrance. But I shouldn't have to. There should be prominent directional signage to something like this at every entrance.
The signage is pretty horrendous from what I've seen. Only a few wayfinding polls, all littered with somewhat ambiguous icons and an array of arrows pointing every which way.

Maybe Salesforce is planning to hire someone to walk around wearing a chipmunk ranger costume (inspired by their brand cartoon characters) to point visitors in the right direction?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 6:25 PM
heavy user of walkability

was by there yesterday evening, so some shots with a different 'mood'...

... and a feel for what it looks like lit up at night

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 7:23 PM
Build Baby Build

The greyhound waiting area seemed to be open when I was last there. It is definitely a lot slower on the weekends around the terminal, but the park is always busy with people.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The greyhound waiting area seemed to be open when I was last there. It is definitely a lot slower on the weekends around the terminal, but the park is always busy with people.
Remember it's not just Greyhound but also AMTRAK whose busses take people to Emeryville to catch the Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Capital Corridor, San Joaquin and so forth so there should be an AMTRAK bus before the scheduled departures and after the arrivals of those, which includes weekends.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:48 AM

Found out there's a food truck event during lunch time in the southwest side of the transit center.

Last edited by gillynova; Aug 20, 2018 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Found out there's a food truck event during lunch time in the south east side of the transit center.

Just so people aren’t confused, that looks like the southwest side.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:13 PM

Whoops, let me edit that post haha

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:48 AM

Greyhound/Amtrak Ticket Office, Waiting Room

Quote:
As of today, August 20th, the Greyhound web page shows the ticket office in the Salesforce Transit Center. The web page for Amtrak shows the temporary terminal currently.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
As of today, August 20th, the Greyhound web page shows the ticket office in the Salesforce Transit Center. The web page for Amtrak shows the temporary terminal currently.
It is common for AMTRAK to be "sidelined" for a while.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:12 PM

I think the “Grand Central Station” of the Bay Area should be the Diridon Station in San Jose instead of this transit center. It has all types of rail service and will have BART and High Speed Rail. The architecture and park looks amazing for this building, but the more I think about it, this is not the Grand Central Station of the West.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:14 AM

They were unpacking more tables for the park yesterday morning

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development