HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:20 PM

Parking above/below

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Really glad they went underground with parking also. In reasonable measure and using good aesthetics, podium parking can be just fine...but yeah the way it's being used lately is both ubiquitous and screams "value engineering". We need more balance at the ground level.
Not that big of a deal if the above parking is done with cladding especially if the ground floor is retail. What I would like to see is a 40 story plus building with some architectural element on top to make it unique instead of the same old, same old basically flat roof. Too bad the city couldn't give some tax incentive for that without the Goldwater institute or someone suing them.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:44 PM
self-important urbanista

There are many reasons that I've outlined here before that parking podiums are terrible. Most of the arguments fall on deaf ears in this forum, but here's another I heard yesterday from Henry Grabar, author of the new book Paved Paradise: How Parking Explains the World:

"You create an environment where people go down an elevator and get into their car before they get on the street, so you are just vaccuuming up potential street life by making people sleep right above their cars...Even if people were driving and they had cars, if the garage is just a couple blocks away, you're creating this situation where people are walking and are out in the neighborhood, and businesses can open and cater to those people and then more people will come and go to those businesses."

Of course, podium apologists will argue the same effect can occur with underground parking. They're right. It can. Nevertheless, underground parking is more expensive, so less of it gets built, and many of the other negatives associated with parking podiums don't exist with underground parking.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There are many reasons that I've outlined here before that parking podiums are terrible. Most of the arguments fall on deaf ears in this forum,
Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't mean your opinion is falling on deaf ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halicem View Post
Central Station is now as tall as the wall of parking podiums on the East side of First Avenue. I for one am glad it went with underground parking.

Thanks for taking and posting this picture as well as your others, keep them coming. Construction is everywhere downtown. Things are looking great and it'll only get better.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 2:48 PM

just revisited the first page with renderings on this project - are these still the expected products in terms of design/aesthetics? really hope so as it will be premier-level DT property from the looks. anyone con confirm no surprise value compromises???

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 5:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
just revisited the first page with renderings on this project - are these still the expected products in terms of design/aesthetics? really hope so as it will be premier-level DT property from the looks. anyone con confirm no surprise value compromises???
I don't think anything has changed since the final renderings have been released.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 6:13 PM

The downtown ASU webcam linked on the 1st page is so awesome looking. Great view of all of the buildings in the area (new towers and old buildings like the Westward Ho), the cranes, the view of the mountains in the distance, and it's super clear and live.

Civic space park will only get better when the new buildings like Central Station and Realm (and maybe Astra? ) are built to further surround it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 10:06 PM

Crested - maybe you could change the title of this thread to include Central Station's 2nd tower (22 floors, 232 feet ??? per wikipedia).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 10:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Crested - maybe you could change the title of this thread to include Central Station's 2nd tower (22 floors, 232 feet ??? per wikipedia).
Done...although I couldn't really figure out the proper formatting for 2 towers in one title. I'll look through what other posters have done and change if need be or take any suggestions.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I don't think anything has changed since the final renderings have been released.
Thanks for keeping my spirits high that this one will be just a bit special

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 1:07 AM
Chase M

I have to say they are making pretty great progress, the fact that the second tower is already at the halfway point is pretty impressive.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 5:23 AM

Was out on a walk this afternoon, no one was around so I snuck a pic from the fence:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 8:02 PM

Leasing Brochure for the office/retail portion.

A lot of info and rederings, most we have seen and know but still nice:
https://www.loopnet.com/viewer/pdf?f...520Station.pdf

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Leasing Brochure for the office/retail portion.

A lot of info and rederings, most we have seen and know but still nice:
https://www.loopnet.com/viewer/pdf?f...520Station.pdf

Seems like the height will be around 350 feet judging by the renderings, but I'm sure this could change.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 9:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN View Post
Seems like the height will be around 350 feet judging by the renderings, but I'm sure this could change.
The height shown in permits to the city is 372'. I don't think there will be any further revisions to the height.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 10:14 PM

Seeing those plants on the top floors reminds me of the Optima projects around that...wonder that a 30 story Optima tower would look like with plants growing over all the balconies.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Seeing those plants on the top floors reminds me of the Optima projects around that...wonder that a 30 story Optima tower would look like with plants growing over all the balconies.
Every one of those Optima projects always screams to me "I want to be taller." That would be really cool, I was curious how tall the company has built and found one on their website at 57 stories in Chicago.

So bring it on, Optima. Downtown PHX is ready.

https://www.optima.inc/projects/optima-signature/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Every one of those Optima projects always screams to me "I want to be taller." That would be really cool, I was curious how tall the company has built and found one on their website at 57 stories in Chicago.

So bring it on, Optima. Downtown PHX is ready.

https://www.optima.inc/projects/optima-signature/
There were plans for an Optima downtown back in like 2007. One of the casualties of the recession at the time.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
There were plans for an Optima downtown back in like 2007. One of the casualties of the recession at the time.
That era was so depressing from a things that never happened standpoint. Ugh. Still sore about how we in Phoenix got hosed on that economic cycle. At least this one has been much better.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 10:18 PM

What is the height of the east tower actually going to be? I feel like it was pretty well established that it is the reduced height of 372 feet. But on wikipedia it is showing 424 feet. I always figured someone from this site updates wikipedia, and if it's wrong in showing 424 feet, that's been wrong for a long time. Other items seem to be fairly quickly updated on the wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_in_Phoenix

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 10:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
What is the height of the east tower actually going to be? I feel like it was pretty well established that it is the reduced height of 372 feet. But on wikipedia it is showing 424 feet. I always figured someone from this site updates wikipedia, and if it's wrong in showing 424 feet, that's been wrong for a long time. Other items seem to be fairly quickly updated on the wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_in_Phoenix
It's 372'. I quit updating Wiki because someone kept changing things to incorrect heights. One thing I hate about Wikipedia...anyone can change stuff to whatever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest