HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:54 PM

Wow, the Sansom looks nearly complete! I think the cladding has turned out much better than I originally though.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 12:12 AM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 12:18 AM

GlaxoSmithKline's new headquarters in the Navy Yard

http://hiddencityphila.org/2013/02/hot-or-not/

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 12:19 AM

Iroko Pharmaceutical's new headquarters in the neighborhood. IMO the building looks MUCH better from the other side.

http://hiddencityphila.org/2013/02/hot-or-not/

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 12:19 AM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 12:22 AM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 12:23 AM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 9:12 PM
Realtor

2400 South Street update - Toll Brothers

http://buildingphilly.com/2400-south...toll-brothers/

2400 South Street update - Toll Brothers - 68 new units coming and another condo building in the plans.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 3:55 PM
Realtor

"Medium Rare" Restaurant Coming to The Sansom

Mmmm. Cheap yummy steakkkk.
http://buildingphilly.com/the-sansom/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:03 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
Mmmm. Cheap yummy steakkkk.
http://buildingphilly.com/the-sansom/

Quote:
The Sansom is almost done but the steak is Medium Rare (ba dum dum). Word on the street is that the DC Steak House chain Medium Rare, will be taking a significant amount of space at the new apartment complex ground floor level on the 1600 block of Sansom Street. The reviews on Yelp look promising. There is a pre-fix deal of Salad, Steak and Fries for $19.50 which is a welcome relief when comparing prices at other local steak houses.

Personally, I wouldn't trust anything from Yelp as far as honest reviews are concerned.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 7:27 PM
Realtor

construction on hold?

Anyone know whats going on in the gayborhood at John C Anderson apartments?

Looks awfully quite over there.

http://buildingphilly.com/john-c-anderson-apartments/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:31 AM

Info and renders about Penn's College House at Hill Square. Looks like 7 floors. Seems like they won't be developing the Eastern portion of the field... wonder if they are saving it for a taller tower later? That would be interesting

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...n_Combined.pdf

Too lazy to post all the renders right now so take a look through

Last edited by summersm343; Mar 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Info and renders about Penn's College House at Hill Square. Looks like 7 floors. Seems like they won't be developing the Southern portion of the field... wonder if they are saving it for a taller tower later? That would be interesting

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...n_Combined.pdf

Too lazy to post all the renders right now so take a look through
I very much doubt that there will be any development of what you're calling the southern portion of the field. That backs up to the current Hill College House, which will remain, and the McNeil Center for Early American Studies.

This new project is intended to be the 12th college house in Penn's college house system for undergraduates, and not just generic student housing, so don't expect any additional buildings--tower or otherwise--on that field. It's also what Penn considers to be an important gateway to its campus, and a green space that it won't want to sacrifice.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I very much doubt that there will be any development of what you're calling the southern portion of the field. That backs up to the current Hill College House, which will remain, and the McNeil Center for Early American Studies.

This new project is intended to be the 12th college house in Penn's college house system for undergraduates, and not just generic student housing, so don't expect any additional buildings--tower or otherwise--on that field. It's also what Penn considers to be an important gateway to its campus, and a green space that it won't want to sacrifice.
Sorry, meant the Eastern Portion

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Sorry, meant the Eastern Portion
No problem--but what I said still applies. I'd be very surprised if Penn built anything else of any size on that block once the new college house is completed. They want to maintain SOME kind of Ivy League feel to the place.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:

Design is better than what I expected. I will miss the field though. Use to play tackle football every weekend while at Penn on that field.

A problem with this design, however, will be Chestnut Street, betwee 32nd and 34th. It is going to rather dead. Maybe something with life can be built on the parking lot across the street. But right now, there is going to be a void between what Drexel is doing at 32nd Street and 34th Street life at Domus.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Design is better than what I expected. I will miss the field though. Use to play tackle football every weekend while at Penn on that field.

A problem with this design, however, will be Chestnut Street, betwee 32nd and 34th. It is going to rather dead. Maybe something with life can be built on the parking lot across the street. But right now, there is going to be a void between what Drexel is doing at 32nd Street and 34th Street life at Domus.
Penn is planning to do something about that--see page 1 and the upper right corner of page 3:

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/re...and-future.pdf

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Penn is planning to do something about that--see page 1 and the upper right corner of page 3:

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/re...and-future.pdf
Drexel also has plans to redevelop the corner property they on that side of Chestnut. But until something is done, that block is going to be void of life.

This is what happens when the school itself builds a dorm and does not outsource. You get a fortress at street level.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Drexel also has plans to redevelop the corner property they on that side of Chestnut. But until something is done, that block is going to be void of life.

This is what happens when the school itself builds a dorm and does not outsource. You get a fortress at street level.
I don't think THAT'S necessarily the case. Remember, Penn's is primarily a traditional residential university campus of 300 acres, which just happens to be surrounded by an urban area. And Drexel is quickly becomming a significantly more residential campus, as is Temple. So we shouldn't just evaluate their development in somewhat generic, urban, commercial terms (as we might, say, a residential tower in Center City).

From what I can see in the renderings--and from what I've read in verbal descriptions--Penn's new college house is intended to provide a traditional 24/7 residential college house experience and atmosphere, similar to Penn's 11 other college houses (like those in the historic and venerable Quad running from 36th to 38th along Spruce). So hardly a fortress, and more a modern rendition of the traditional grassy quads and greens located elsewhere on Penn's campus and on other traditional college and university campuses.

Last edited by Philly Fan; Mar 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:40 PM

Quote:
I don't think THAT'S necessarily the case. Remember, Penn's is primarily a traditional residential university campus of 300 acres, which just happens to be surrounded by an urban area. And Drexel is quickly becomming a significantly more residential campus, as is Temple. So we shouldn't just evaluate their development in somewhat generic, urban, commercial terms (as we might, say, a residential tower in Center City).

From what I can see in the renderings--and from what I've read in verbal descriptions--Penn's new college house is intended to provide a traditional 24/7 residential college house experience and atmosphere, similar to Penn's 11 other college houses (like those in the historic and venerable Quad running from 36th to 38th along Spruce). So hardly a fortress, and more a modern rendition of the traditional grassy quads and greens located elsewhere on Penn's campus and on other traditional college and university campuses.
Look at the apartment complex that was developed privately on Walnut Street between 39th and 40th Street. There is retail shops on street level, much like what Drexel is doing on Chestnut and what they have planned for Lancaster.

The new Penn dorm will be much like my freshman year dorm, King's Court. And I hate to say it, KC (and for that matter, the Quad, Hill, etc) are fortress style buildings on the street level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development