HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 12:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Some adversity is good for them. I never like it when teams breeze through to the finals only to get beaten by a more battle tested team.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 5:33 AM

Looks like the Ice are going to choke. They lose 8-4 in Moose jaw.

They are in BIG trouble. I think the Warriors may win the series. The Ice are clearly paper tigers, and if they don't lose this series, they will get knocked out by Red Deer, who is 7-0 in the playoffs. Seattle is also 7-0.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 1:28 PM

I have to admit I was hoping for Regina to pull off the upset against Saskatoon because I was a little worried about what a series against Moose Jaw would entail. The Warriors looked really good, like in complete control against the ICE in some of their regular season games. But on the flipside, the ICE did win big a couple of times against MJ, they beat them 6-0 and 7-1, so it's not like the Oil Kings in previous seasons where the ICE just didn't have an answer for them.

I guess we'll find out how the ICE handle adversity, they either win tonight and tie up the series, or they go down 3-1. It will be interesting to see who starts in goal, Daniel Hauser has looked uncharacteristically shaky but that is at least in part to uncharacteristically shaky defense by the ICE.

As for Red Deer, I'm not too worried about them. The ICE went 4-0 against them through the regular season and they can handle them in the playoffs if they get that far. I think MJ is easily the toughest opponent in the Eastern Conference.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have to admit I was hoping for Regina to pull off the upset against Saskatoon because I was a little worried about what a series against Moose Jaw would entail. The Warriors looked really good, like in complete control against the ICE in some of their regular season games. But on the flipside, the ICE did win big a couple of times against MJ, they beat them 6-0 and 7-1, so it's not like the Oil Kings in previous seasons where the ICE just didn't have an answer for them.

I guess we'll find out how the ICE handle adversity, they either win tonight and tie up the series, or they go down 3-1. It will be interesting to see who starts in goal, Daniel Hauser has looked uncharacteristically shaky but that is at least in part to uncharacteristically shaky defense by the ICE.

As for Red Deer, I'm not too worried about them. The ICE went 4-0 against them through the regular season and they can handle them in the playoffs if they get that far. I think MJ is easily the toughest opponent in the Eastern Conference.
I hope the Ice can come back against Moose Jaw, but even if they do, I can't see them winning the WHL Championship. Seattle is too strong. Kamloops is very good. Even Red Deer look incredibly hard. I was hoping for the Pats, not only because of Bedard, but I thought it would be far easier of a series.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 6:14 PM

^ The ICE can handle Red Deer, it's a question of whether they can get past Moose Jaw. Seattle would be a handful though for sure.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Looks like the Ice are going to choke. They lose 8-4 in Moose jaw.

They are in BIG trouble. I think the Warriors may win the series. The Ice are clearly paper tigers, and if they don't lose this series, they will get knocked out by Red Deer, who is 7-0 in the playoffs. Seattle is also 7-0.
ICE aren't done yet! They bounced back to even the series at 2 games a piece with a big 3-2 OT win last night in Moose Jaw.

Also, Red Deer lost last night. If the ICE can finish the job in round 2 they will sail past Red Deer, mark my words.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 4:43 AM

The Ice managed to overcome a 2-0 deficit, and score 5 unanswered goals, to take a 3-2 series lead. Winnipeg can finish off Moose Jaw with a win on Monday.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 5:07 PM

Quote:
The Ice managed to overcome a 2-0 deficit, and score 5 unanswered goals, to take a 3-2 series lead. Winnipeg can finish off Moose Jaw with a win on Monday.
I don't see the ICE losing two in a row at this point. Here's hoping for a series clincher on Monday night.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:10 AM

WHOA!

The Ice came to play tonight. 8-1 in the 3rd period!

Winnipeg will move on to the Conference Finals, and play the winner of the Moose Jaw-Saskatoon series.

GO ICE!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 1:20 PM

Quote:
WHOA!

The Ice came to play tonight. 8-1 in the 3rd period!

Winnipeg will move on to the Conference Finals, and play the winner of the Moose Jaw-Saskatoon series.

GO ICE!
great to see the top talent light it up! and they beat Moose Jaw, they aware awaiting Red Deer - Saskatoon game 7 tonight

west conference is Kamloops and Seattle. Kamloops swept Van 4-0, then swept Portland 4-0. Seattle swept Kelowna 4-0 then swept Prince George 4-0. crazy

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Some adversity is good for them. I never like it when teams breeze through to the finals only to get beaten by a more battle tested team.
Looks like the ICE had just the right amount of adversity in this series.

I think they stack up well against both Red Deer and Saskatoon. If Sask prevails there is no question they will have some wear and tear from playing two 7 games series in a row. As for Red Deer, the ICE went 4-0 against them in the regular season so they have shown they can handle the Rebels.

I was surprised to see Moose Jaw run out of gas the way they did last night. I thought they'd push it to a game 7 but it was one sided right from the get-go. Great job by the ICE.

I hope Kamloops and Seattle wear each other out in the Western Conference Finals

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I hope Kamloops and Seattle wear each other out in the Western Conference Finals
If Kamloops defeats Seattle, and the Ice reach the final, they will automatically play in the Memorial Cup Final, regardless of outcome, since the tournament is in Kamloops.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:49 PM

Quote:
If Kamloops defeats Seattle, and the Ice reach the final, they will automatically play in the Memorial Cup Final, regardless of outcome, since the tournament is in Kamloops.
In that case, Go Blazers Go!

Dates for the first two round three games have been released:

I will be there, can't wait to see the ICE avenge last season's ECF loss!!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 6:07 PM

Great victory! I have to admit I was really worried about the team after they went down 2-1 in the series. Visions of the biggest choke job in history by an elite WHL team danced in my head.

From the sounds of it, the upcoming series should be easier. Hopefully they can win it in 5 games or less.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 1:54 PM

Saskatoon pulled off the miracle comeback, after being down 3 games to none against Red Deer, they stormed back and won the series in seven. So it's a Blades/ICE conference final starting Friday.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 2:17 PM

Blades have lots MB boys - Parr, Hansen, Roulette and I think 2 others

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Blades have lots MB boys - Parr, Hansen, Roulette and I think 2 others
There are Manitobans everywhere in that organization, including the lovable Winnipegger Les Lazaruk who has been doing play by play for them for nearly 30 years

But even that won't prevent the clock from striking midnight for this Cinderella team...

Go ICE Go!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 3:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Question? What happens if Kamaloops wins the WHL in regards to the Memorial cup?

The Memorial Cup Bracket has the host city (Kamaloops), WHL Winner, OHL Winner and QMJHL Winner. That is 4 teams.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Question? What happens if Kamaloops wins the WHL in regards to the Memorial cup?

The Memorial Cup Bracket has the host city (Kamaloops), WHL Winner, OHL Winner and QMJHL Winner. That is 4 teams.
As I understand it based on what knowledgeable people have said, if Kamloops beats Seattle in the WCF (bit of a longshot, I know) then whoever comes out of the ECF, either Winnipeg or Saskatoon, automatically gets a berth in the Memorial Cup because Kamloops already has their ticket punched as the host.

So I'll definitely be cheering on the Blazers as well as the ICE

EDIT: Maybe a Kamloops win is not as much of a longshot as I thought? I checked, and the Blazers went 2-1-1 against Seattle in the regular season. Winnipeg fans are pretty fortunate... to put it in perspective, this is Saskatoon's first trip to the conference finals since 1994. This is the ICE's second season in a row making it that far.

Last edited by esquire; Apr 26, 2023 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 4:00 PM

remember Seattle got Dylan Guenther, Colton Dach, Luke Prokop on trade deadline day and Jets prospect Brad Lambert got sent there after World Jr.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan