HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:15 PM

State gives $12M for Philadelphia transportation projects
https://whyy.org/articles/state-give...ation-projects

Quote:
In a few years time, Market Street in Old City may look brand new, thanks to a $3 million state grant announced Tuesday.

The project is one of six Philadelphia projects awarded Multimodal Transportation Fund (MTF) grants by Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Statewide, 42 projects will receive $49 million in funding.

The $3 million grant will advance Old City District’s vision of a more walkable and bikeable neighborhood, said executive director Job Itzkowitz, by removing Market Street’s westbound travel lane between 6th and 2nd streets to make way for a pair of parking-protected bike lanes. “The idea is to make Old City better connected via multiple modes of transportation to other neighborhoods,” Itzkowitz said.

Old City District conducted a traffic study in 2016 that showed that relatively few cars traveled westbound through the neighborhood, whereas about half of the eastbound traffic on Market Street went to the on-ramp for I-95. Itzkowitz said that most, if not all, of the street’s parking would be maintained. Replacing the travel lane with protected bike lanes would make Market safer for both cyclists and pedestrians, he said.

While Itzkowitz said he was, “very excited,” by the announcement, there is still a long road ahead.

The total project cost is estimated at $7 million. Philadelphia’s Streets Department is seeking an additional $3 million from the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED), which runs its own, separate Multimodal Transportation Fund. The state agency usually announces its MTF grant awards a few months after PennDOT. The $1 million left to raise will come out of Streets’ capital budget, fulfilling the funds’ 30 percent local match requirement.

Even after the city lines up funding sources, finalized planning, community outreach, design, and construction is expected to take five to six years, said Angie Dixon, director of planning at the city’s Office of Transportation and Infrastructure Systems (OTIS).

The rest of the city’s $12.4 million take will be shared among projects outside of Center City.

The Streets Department received $2.7 million from the PennDOT MTF for safety improvements to Parkside Avenue in West Philadelphia. The money will go towards a series of pedestrian islands and other intersection improvements on Parkside between 41st and 51st Streets. The goal is to make it easier for neighborhood residents to reach Fairmount Park. New LED street lights, including shorter, pedestrian-level street lamps, will also be installed, and a new side-path will be built along Parkside between 53rd Street and Bryn Mawr Avenue.

Once the city kicks in its matching funds, that project will be fully funded, said Deputy Streets Commissioner Rich Montanez. The city hopes to finish the project in three to four years.

Another $900,000 from PennDOT will go towards the next phase of SEPTA’s Boulevard Direct, the new express-service route that currently runs along Roosevelt Boulevard between the Frankford Transportation Center and the Neshaminy Mall. SEPTA intends to one day extend that route to the Wissahickon Transportation Center, and the PennDOT MTF grant will help pay for eight bus plazas along the expansion.

There’s no estimate yet on SEPTA might expand the route. The city, not SEPTA, owns bus shelters in Philadelphia, and the $900,000 grant will only cover some of the total price tag on the project, said Dixon. While Philadelphia also has received $1 million in funding from the federal Transportation Alternatives Program, the project needs a few million more still.

The PennDOT-administered fund was established following the passage of Act 89 in 2013, which raised fuel taxes to fund infrastructure projects across the state. PennDOT awards the grants to municipalities and other entities on a competitive basis annually.

The Navy Yard also won $3 million to go towards replacing the “1898 timber deck structure supporting the main entrance” bridge on Broad Street, according to the MTF announcement. PIDC, which manages of the Navy Yard, declined to comment.

Another $1.5 million in PennDOT MTF grants will go to the Philadelphia Regional Port Authority to upgrade two container cranes. Provco Penrose, LLC also won $1.3 million to support “the transformation of a previous heavy metal shredding facility at 2600 Penrose Avenue to a proposed convenience store with gas and a separate restaurant facility.”

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:53 PM

Does 7 Million for this project seem like a lot of money for a bike line that stretches 4 blocks? Are they making the bike lane out of marble? Does anyone have information that could justify this kind of money?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
And with the previous rezoning by City Council from CMX-2 to CMX-3, they can build by-right. I'm disappointed that they ditched the curvy design proposed 3 years ago:

It really does suck. That original design was going to be a gem. Guess it's up in the sky now with the original Chinatown tower design...what could have been...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF1968 View Post
Does 7 Million for this project seem like a lot of money for a bike line that stretches 4 blocks? Are they making the bike lane out of marble? Does anyone have information that could justify this kind of money?
I believe there are a lot of other street-scape improvements associated with this project. What people forget is that most of the crosswalk curb cuts in the city are no longer ADA compliant so I'm assuming every corner that isn't will need to be upgraded as part of this project. It will also mean redoing several traffic lights and signage along this stretch to accommodate new traffic patterns .

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF1968 View Post
It does seem high but they will also build islands at the cross streets for bus stops and people crossing the street. And I have to hope there might be some vegetation and landscaping added.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:33 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
building any sort of infrastructure isn't cheap anymore. Anyone remember the recent I-95 interchange project in Bucks County that now fully connects I-95 costs $425 million. That's for an interchange. And, some other interstate roads at the cost of $1MM per mile.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:07 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
It's obvious they aren't. Can we just accept it'll be in NoVa and move on already?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
It's obvious they aren't. Can we just accept it'll be in NoVa and move on already?
It ain't over till it's over.

For example:

Amazon reportedly visited Chicago in August, and it could mean everything we think we know about its HQ2 decision so far is dead wrong

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It really does suck. That original design was going to be a gem. Guess it's up in the sky now with the original Chinatown tower design...what could have been...
Quote:
The project's architect, the studio of New York-based Morris Adjmi, also has revised its approach to the building, jettisoning its previous plan for a facade of undulating brick with a design that emulates some of the multistory, broad-windowed industrial buildings on nearby streets, Kelson said.
I dunno, that sounds pretty sexy to me

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
I dunno, that sounds pretty sexy to me

Right? This still looks really good I think.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 12:11 PM

^New York-based Morris Adjmi does really cool stuff, this is going to be cool.
Just look at the second East Market tower (they designed it) - if still not convinced ... link:
http://www.ma.com/

------------
POD Hotel is one of the fastest moving construction projects in recent memory.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:33 PM

I haven't had a chance to take a picture of it at ground level yet, but steel is rising over the site of a significant development at 59th and Market in West Philly! Here is the render for those who have forgotten what this project will look like:

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:42 PM

So Broad Street recently underwent a streetscape improvement and modernization project. Looks really good, faux brick crosswalks, raised street to eliminate the distance between the curb and the street, clean white lines. Looks sharp and clean.

Of course what happens? Within 2 months, one of the sections near Chestnut is totally ripped out for some street work and now looks like shit w/ the sloppily laid patchwork macadam. Over/under 99.5 years - amount of time before they repair the decorative street detailing and crosswalk lines?

Seriously, can't the city tell PWD or PGW or PECO or whoever...we are spending $15mil to modernize and freshen up S. Broad. ANY WORK that needs to be done, needs to be done NOW.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Right? This still looks really good I think.
I hope so. If it's like your image, that's not bad, but the undulating building in the first proposal was a real head turner.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
So Broad Street recently underwent a streetscape improvement and modernization project. Looks really good, faux brick crosswalks, raised street to eliminate the distance between the curb and the street, clean white lines. Looks sharp and clean.

Of course what happens? Within 2 months, one of the sections near Chestnut is totally ripped out for some street work and now looks like shit w/ the sloppily laid patchwork macadam. Over/under 99.5 years - amount of time before they repair the decorative street detailing and crosswalk lines?

Seriously, can't the city tell PWD or PGW or PECO or whoever...we are spending $15mil to modernize and freshen up S. Broad. ANY WORK that needs to be done, needs to be done NOW.
I understand things happen, but it's seriously insane how little consideration goes into this. At one point I was renting a place in South Philly on a tiny little street that was so torn up it was practically gravel. They finally pave it. And perhaps my memory has exaggerated this over the years but I don't think so; we had that pristine pavement for about a week before some utility came by and just destroyed it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I understand things happen, but it's seriously insane how little consideration goes into this. At one point I was renting a place in South Philly on a tiny little street that was so torn up it was practically gravel. They finally pave it. And perhaps my memory has exaggerated this over the years but I don't think so; we had that pristine pavement for about a week before some utility came by and just destroyed it.
Yeah, it just seems to "happen" a lot in PHilly and then is never fixed. Drive around a major thoroughfare in Seattle or Minneapolis and you'll notice a few things 1) they don't look nearly as sloppy and unkempt and 2) they are paved with cement which is much stronger and lasts much longer. South to Vine, River to River seems like a no brainer to pave over with cement.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 10:31 PM

Taken 10/6/2018:

Hale Building:

Signs up for Shake Shack on Chestnut Street:

FDP:

Interesting that even through the mall is closed they keep the digital signing still on at the interior entrance to C21:

Even on a cloudy October day there was still a long line to get into the Liberty Bell:

In the 2 weeks since I was there last the Food Hall at the Bourse has seen more vendors open and it is much busier:

CB2 on Walnut Street:

Aramark HQ:

Reconstruction of Schuylkill Avenue:

More pics posted under their respective building threads.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyEngineer View Post
Taken 10/6/2018:

Hale Building:

Signs up for Shake Shack on Chestnut Street:
Thanks for posting these photos. As you can see from that Hale photo, they are still doing work on the brick facade. I wonder if they will bother opening until the water main work is complete at Juniper and Sansom.

Speaking of East Chestnut, in addition to the Hale building and soon to openShake shack at 12th, the Tradesman's bar at Juniper has been open for about a month, Wawa at 13th in the old I Goldberg location just opened on Friday, I believe and a new vision place on the 1200 block near 13th just opened. That stretch is really rounding out to be pretty nice. Still a few dumpy stores and vacancies, of course as 1487 would tell us.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 1:57 PM

Philly seems to be running in 5th gear attracting tourists. I think the Bourse food options, new East Market options, and soon to be FOP (or whatever the name of the year is) with the AMC will really help round out plenty of food options and activities for tourists when the weather is less than ideal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development