HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Vista Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
Should the Vista been built on lsd plot where cirrus/cascade are being built. Any thoughts???
The original plan of LSE includes the tallest building of the neighborhood, as a supertall, with wacker dr and pedestrian connection underneath it in the location vista is standing today

Personally I like it this way, excited for site I though

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:09 PM

It makes no sense to put the tallest bulidings fronting the lake. Why wouldn't you want to spread the views out to more buildings rather than fencing everyone else in with giant towers fronting the lake? We also get better skyline views this way as the buildings are ordered neatly by high to give them all some visibility. One of the defining features of our skyline is the wedding-cake style massing of rows of historic or lower buildings fronting the parks with larger and larger buildings rising up behind them. Think Drake-Palmolive-Hancock or the Michigan Ave Streetwall with Legacy or other MCM towers looming above.

The only thing that makes site I and the spire hole acceptable places for a 1000'+ tower is that they are the gates of the river. The current scheme for Site I is tall enough IMO, but I wouldn't mind if they slapped another 100-300' on it.

Vista is just perfect where it is, fronting the river and terminating Field Drive and McClug. It's also pretty freaking sweet to have a multi level road passing through the center of a supertall. I don't think that's a condition that exists anywhere else on earth. It's like one of those old pictures of people driving a Model T through a redwood...

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It makes no sense to put the tallest bulidings fronting the lake. Why wouldn't you want to spread the views out to more buildings rather than fencing everyone else in with giant towers fronting the lake? We also get better skyline views this way as the buildings are ordered neatly by high to give them all some visibility. One of the defining features of our skyline is the wedding-cake style massing of rows of historic or lower buildings fronting the parks with larger and larger buildings rising up behind them. Think Drake-Palmolive-Hancock or the Michigan Ave Streetwall with Legacy or other MCM towers looming above.
Agreed! I wish The Loop did a better job with this. We really could use a few 1000 footers in the heart of The Loop. I also wish we had a row of pre-war skyscrapers on the north and south ends of the park in front of the towers, but we can't change that now.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:34 PM

My heart cries for 7SD

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
My heart cries for 7SD
Me too.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:01 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Great shots gandalf612.

The shades of the glass, with that dark, royal blue at night. Somebody mentioned how it captures the river, and I think it was a good choice how the facade not only captures the river during the day, but how it appears at night, as the lights reflect onto the water surface, creating patches of dark blue, with a dim cyan color almost.

Its one thing to make a tower work in the day, but at night, with the intention of matching the hues, fine work. The ripples in the facade seem to scatter light and create shadow in a way that makes it work, from the looks of it.
Couldn't have said it better myself! This statement encompasses everything I wanted to say as a comment/compliment of the beautifulness' of the buildings lines and colour of glass!

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Agreed! I wish The Loop did a better job with this. We really could use a few 1000 footers in the heart of The Loop. I also wish we had a row of pre-war skyscrapers on the north and south ends of the park in front of the towers, but we can't change that now.
This is largely due to the "completeness" of the loop though. There's not a lot of ways to get a site suitable for large projects like Vista or OCS. That's a good thing IMO and hopefully a handful of the remaining large sites like parking garages can be redveloped into something huge at some point.

Also I definitely don't mind the modern end caps to the park. Once the Roosevelt and Michigan site is developed the "bookends" of the park will be complete. The tradition of going tall on ends of the park started with 1 Pru in the immediate post war era.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The tradition of going tall on ends of the park started with 1 Pru in the immediate post war era.

LVDW, question, you mentioned multiple levels of Wacker going thru Vista...Isn't it just the lower?

Last edited by bhawk66; Yesterday at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Today, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
LVDW, question, you mentioned multiple levels of Wacker going thru Vista...Isn't it just the lower?
Upper wacker will wind thru vista and become n. harbor

View from south:

Old Posted Today, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Upper wacker will wind thru vista and become n. harbor

View from south:
Awesome. thnx

Old Posted Today, 3:20 PM

Dec 6

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction