HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:58 AM

Urbandreamer is trolling all of you

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
That must be one of the last Costco locations that was originally a Price Club? Many of those Price Club warehouses that opened in the 1980s and 1990s were located out of the way a bit. They tended to be away from other retailers on purpose. Most locations built as Costco have tended to be among other retail stores and businesses. At least from my observations.

I got a Costco membership right around the turn of the millennium when one opened in Sudbury and have renewed every year.
Back when this one opened, it was literally across the road from the city limits. It has the 401 on one side of it, and the main drag that runs into downtown London on the front side of it was the city limit at the time. It did have some commercial area around it, like a Leon's, Superstore grocery store and Towers (which became a Zellers). Kind of out of the way for the city itself, but handy because of being right at the main exit from the 401.

The other Costco on the other end of town, which was built at the same time as Sam's Club was coming in (the 2 literally had a race to be open first, each offering the contractors a bonus if they beat the other store, which was awesome for the companies working on both lol) was a big piece of open land in the middle of a dense residential area on one side and commercial on the other. It was already a traffic headache before lol.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I have a small one theatre cinema right down the street from me, and it's a Cineplex! So I get Scene points etc. and good screens, but it is a totally old school one-screen theatre about 3 mins walk away
The Park, right? I'm sure Cineplex hates having to operate that! It must have been part of the deal when they bought Festival Cinemas from Leonard Schein.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 2:08 AM

Yes the Park indeed. I figured there must have been something in the buyout that dictated it had to stay, but I'm definitely not complaing

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
J. | Junaid Jamshed is a store brand from Pakistan, they opened a store in Missisauga last week

from their facebook page

Thanks

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:31 AM

Eataly is now open in Toronto

Video Link

a longer thourough tour
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:36 AM

Unfortunate timing of that scroll under the headline in that first picture lol

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:35 PM

It will be interesting to revisit how they're doing a year from now.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:13 PM
I am the law!

I think they will do fine considering Metro, Loblaws, Sobeys can be pricey for average groceries and exorbitant for specialty groceries.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:33 PM

Lowes to close 34 stores in Canada, including 26 RONA.

https://business.financialpost.com/n...-in-canada/amp

Last edited by le calmar; Nov 20, 2019 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:16 PM

^Damn, the convenient little Rona by my place was hit. I've used that store A LOT in the last 3ish years.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:30 PM
DRINK

I don't understand Rona. We were doing bathroom Reno's last year and our contractor got contractor pricing through Rona so we were encouraged to shop there. The selection sucked. It was like cheap builder quality everything.

Making the transition about a year ago from a crammed shoebox in the sky to an amazing attached two story house built in 1979 I've spent a shit ton at home stores. Tools, lumber, yard stuff, it has all added up. I've probably spent $60,000 in brick and mortar stores.

Probably less than $1,000 at Rona, maybe $5,000 at Canadian tire, a few hundred at Lowes, maybe $1,000 at Windsor, and all the rest at Home Depot.

That's not including the online specialty stuff.

Maybe Rona is the go to for contractors, but for the homeowner...its useless.

Also of note is that the locations to be closed don't include Edmonton's Whitemud/Calgary Trail location. You could fire a cannon down the isles most days and not hit a shopper. If that didn't make the cut for closing...wow.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:41 PM

^ You notice that much of a difference? To me Rona/Home Depot were always kind of like 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If there is some kind of Air Miles promo I'll go to Rona, otherwise I just sort of defaulted to Home Depot.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I don't understand Rona. We were doing bathroom Reno's last year and our contractor got contractor pricing through Rona so we were encouraged to shop there. The selection sucked. It was like cheap builder quality everything.

Making the transition about a year ago from a crammed shoebox in the sky to an amazing attached two story house built in 1979 I've spent a shit ton at home stores. Tools, lumber, yard stuff, it has all added up. I've probably spent $60,000 in brick and mortar stores.

Probably less than $1,000 at Rona, maybe $5,000 at Canadian tire, a few hundred at Lowes, maybe $1,000 at Windsor, and all the rest at Home Depot.

That's not including the online specialty stuff.

Maybe Rona is the go to for contractors, but for the homeowner...its useless.

Also of note is that the locations to be closed don't include Edmonton's Whitemud/Calgary Trail location. You could fire a cannon down the isles most days and not hit a shopper. If that didn't make the cut for closing...wow.
That particular location - dirty aisles, pallets of material that should be on shelves left in the aisles, packed Saturday, only 1 till open, pricing didn't match the shelf.....left without paying - 8 years ago....never been back since.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:46 PM

This is the second round of store closures in one year as Lowes closed over 30 stores last year (again, Rona for the most part). Some uncompetitive stores remain open and I expect to see more closures in the future.

I went to a Rona in Carleton Place two months ago (one of those very large boxes, seems overkill in a small suburban town) and the aisles were completely deserted. I don't go often enough to say if this happens regularly, but the situation sure didn't look good.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:37 PM

Rona is getting eaten alive in Quebec by the other big players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rona getting ousted in the province.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Rona is getting eaten alive in Quebec by the other big players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rona getting ousted in the province.
It's a given, the newer adminstration don't get the local market at all. They are managing all stores with the same cheap products as the US. Rona used to carry items for the specific needs of their store's region.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:01 PM
I am the law!

I don't care for any of the box stores. However, Home Depot has always had the best deals and Rona had the one off specialty items. Lowes is too expensive. That would be unfortunate about Rona.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
It's a given, the newer adminstration don't get the local market at all. They are managing all stores with the same cheap products as the US. Rona used to carry items for the specific needs of their store's region.
The trick is that a US retailer buys a Canadian one and then proceeds to run it into the ground. They then substitute in their parent brand from the US.

See: Futureshop/Best Buy

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:16 PM

We loose our Rona (Beaver Lumber/Totem) but there is a big box Lowes only about 700 meters away. I was surprised this stayed open for the last few years after the big box opened.

There is a HD right next door and it held its own until the Lowes opened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada