HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 8:33 PM
I am a typical

Who cares about tea and beans? Tibetan Rhubarb has no where to go but up!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
I think you just answered your own question. Low income housing projects are virtually non-existant in the 905, Hamilton excluded.
*and exlcluding most of southern half of Mississauga and a good part of the older parts of Brampton.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 11:57 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow View Post
*and exlcluding most of southern half of Mississauga and a good part of the older parts of Brampton.
MOST OF the southern half of Mississauga? I thought there were a lot of wealthy areas down there too. I did get a chance to see one part of Sauga that was kinda poor looking. Along Hurontario, from the QEW up to Cooksville. Is that one of the areas you're referring to? And for Brampton, are you referring to certain pockets of Bramalea? Other than that, I don't know of any "poor" areas in those municipalities. Perhaps they exist, but most of what I've seen is your typical new sprawl developments that make room for nobody but the middle and upper class.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 1:49 PM

There are parts of Oshawa that are considered to be fairly poor and derelict. This is especially true for the south end (near GM), Nonquon area, and the neighbourhoods around the downtown core.
I think people too often characterize the 905 as being an entirely homogenous region, when this is far from the case.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

better bus routes are the answer.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 2:37 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
better bus routes are the answer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 7:24 AM

I think the higher costs of living are driving people out of the 416 area for the middle class, while the incomes seem to be dividing more among the very wealthy and the poor. The flight of a middle class is common among cities that grow very quickly.

Its certainly a topic that needs to be covered, as housing in Toronto needs to be affordable and attainable. Not everyone makes $50k and not everyone has a partner to help them make the payments.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 4:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
By the way, Miketoronto, it's interesting that you brought it up, since I was in Toronto today and snapped an amazing skyline photo. Here it is...

My goodness. Living conditions are rough when you live on $40-50K per year.
What a coincidence. I recently visited that very shantytown. It is on the hills outside of Scarborough, err, Lima.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
What a coincidence. I recently visited that very shantytown. It is on the hills outside of Scarborough, err, Lima.
What's it like? I feel like people still have this (imo outdated) view of neighbourhoods that look a certain way necessarily being slums.

Ultimately, from a distance, it looks pretty similar to Italian hill towns, which can be poor but certainly aren't viewed as shantytowns by the tourists visiting them.

http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slide...town-pizzo.jpg

If I had to take a guess, I would say the Lima neighbourhood is probably poor, because that's how much of the poor South American neighbourhoods are built (un-planned/organic looking, on hillsides). I've been to Santa Ana Hill in Guayaquil, which has a similar layout. I think it's still lower income because the streets weren't built for cars which wealthy gentrifiers would probably want, but it didn't come of as a slum, it was still clean and well kept. Just a nice neighbourhood with modest colourful cheerful looking homes. The only obvious difference, looking at it and the Lima neighbourhood from a distance is Santa Ana Hill had more colourful homes.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

extremely poor. Lean-tos constructed by squatters, who are mostly dirt-poor Amerindians coming to Lima from the mountainous hinterlands, places with almost no economic prospects except subsistence farming.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Lol this thread is crazy old.

I was living in toronto a week, when I realized all the urban folk are either broke or rich.
With all the average folks in the burbs.

Its real simple math, if you rent you live in the city, if you buy you live where you can afford to live.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 6:22 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
We are starting to see the kind of segregation of incomes that we did not see in the 416. In the 416 the inner city and suburbs always mixed incomes and seemed to keep the old city pretty equal with the suburbs on income levels.
The fault of 1998 Mike Harris' failed amalgamations.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 1:10 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Yet another thread necro.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:56 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Lol this thread is crazy old.

I was living in toronto a week, when I realized all the urban folk are either broke or rich.
With all the average folks in the burbs.

Its real simple math, if you rent you live in the city, if you buy you live where you can afford to live.
Yeah.. that's not at all true. Sorry your 1 week didn't provide you with a better idea of what really happens in the city.

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:22 PM

Toronto is incredibly mixed income, especially downtown. The rich live in yorkville sure, but much of downtown like Cityplace is middle income urban professionals. If anything the poverty is more focused on 416 suburbs than downtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto