HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:14 PM
So very tired...

^ Can't speak to the quality of the Tamron, but I am thrilled with the Nikkor 105 macro. Sharpest lens in my bag by far...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

Glowrock, its for sure worth the extra 400 bucks over a Tamron, no doubt.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:57 PM

This weekend I acquired a mint condition PC-Nikkor 28mm f/3.5:

I'll post some example shots and quick review later...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:49 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

sorry for the ignorance.. but what does that do? ^

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:03 AM

I think PC stands for perspective control. I'm not sure if it is the exact same as tilt shift. If it is, it allows a photographer to avoid lens distortion and achieve a greater range of focus. They can also be used to apply depth of field where it would usually be difficult to obtain, like a far away landscape. A good article here.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...using-ts.shtml

that looks like a nice pickup flar, I am debating if I want a TS or macro as my next lens. I think I would get more mileage from a TS.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:35 AM
Ex Houstonian

Sweet lens flar. I've been hearing a lot about those lately for some reason. Post some shots with it for sure.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:47 AM

Unfortunately the lens I have doesn't do tilt, only shift. So it allows for perspective correction but not changing the focal plane. There are newer Nikon lenses that do tilt and shift, but they are obscenely expensive. Life is slightly better for Canon users when it comes to tilt.

This link explains what a shift lens does: http://photo.net/equipment/canon/tilt-shift

This is an older lens, completely manual everything, but like all the classic Nikon gear, it's beautifully crafted and a pleasure to use.

Here are my test shots from this afternoon. It was extremely cold, so not a good day to be fiddling around with manual focus and the shift mechanism while wearing gloves.

This is what the lens is made for:

The building is not tipping back. Of course, you can do this in post processing with perspective correction, but where's the fun in that? This gives you a true perspective with no loss of quality and no guesswork about what the building is supposed to look like.

Another use of this type of lens is to be able to shoot around obstacles, such as one's reflection if shooting at a mirror. It gives you more options with composition. I intend to use this to eliminate ugly things like parked cars, street signs and traffic lights from certain shots. You can see part of me on the left.

You can also use the lens to do stitched panoramas that fit together perfectly without any software corrections. Here's a vertical pano of the Parliament Buildings that I made simply by pasting two photos together as layers:

The lens is very sharp, as are most Nikon primes, and the focus, aperture and shift mechanisms handle beautifully. There is some noticable chromatic aberration and a bit of lens distortion with maximum shift, both of which could be fixed in post processing. My only complaint is that it's not wide enough, especially on my D90 (equivalent focal length around 40mm on DX cameras). But still very cool:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:53 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

^ oh cool

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:32 PM
3rd Coast King

Nice one flar. Yeah that lens would be way cooler if it was a wider lens to begin with But man it looks really clean for being used.

My Book

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:23 PM

A 28mm lens would be fairly wide on a full frame camera (equivalent to about an 18mm lens on a DX sensor). I'm pretty sure my next camera will be full frame since almost everything I do is at the wide end. I barely use telephoto at all.

Canon makes a 17mm tilt/shift (I am Hydrogen has one). The widest tilt/shift Nikon makes is 24mm but it costs well over two grand (so I won't be getting one anytime soon!)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

Are you thinking about getting a d800?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:35 PM

I'm more thinking along the lines of a lightly used D700, but probably not till next year or something. I'm hoping the prices come down a bit once people start getting the newer cameras. I also would have to invest in a new wide angle lens, so it's a pretty expensive upgrade no matter how you look at it. Currently four of my nine lenses are DX format (but only two are important). As a start to the transition, I decided a few months ago that I would not buy any more DX lenses.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 9:41 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
It may be very hard to find a used one. I've never seen a used d700 for sale because they usually get sucked up right away. But yeah maybe in a year or two you'll be able to find them easily. Hell I can't even find a good used d300. I've just now started to see lots of used d200s in camera stores and those stopped production in 2007 or so. But you need to buy a full frame, i can't wait to get one.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
A 28mm lens would be fairly wide on a full frame camera (equivalent to about an 18mm lens on a DX sensor). I'm pretty sure my next camera will be full frame since almost everything I do is at the wide end. I barely use telephoto at all.

Canon makes a 17mm tilt/shift (I am Hydrogen has one). The widest tilt/shift Nikon makes is 24mm but it costs well over two grand (so I won't be getting one anytime soon!)
yeah 24 is not very wide at all even on a full frame.

My Book

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:51 AM

24mm is plenty wide on a full frame. Every mm makes a difference on the wide end. You would need a 16mm lens to get the same view on a crop sensor.

The reason so many kit lenses are 18-55mm is that they give approx the same view as 28-80mm did on film cameras. Nikon now packages the 16-85mm lens on the d300 and d7000 becasue it's equivalent to a 24-135 lens on full frame or film. That's as wide as most people need. Of course, for people photographing buildings and streetscapes, we want ultra wide angle.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:20 AM
Paramoderator

Dammit, now I want a tilt/shift lens.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:01 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well I decided to not wait for the d800 because most store owners I talked to and such think it will cost close to 4 grand and I can't afford that rigt now. The d700 is really hard to find right now though since its coming to the end of its production time. But I found a couple on amazon that we're in stock so I bit the bullet and bought one. I should get it in the mail in 2 days. I was 12th on the waiting list for the d800 at the camera exchange here in Houston. They told me today that it would be at least 6 months til I could get one or more. The d70o is an amazing camera though and will be an amazing upgrade to my ancient d200.

Last edited by photoLith; Jan 25, 2012 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:51 PM

^^you're set now.

@ Illithid Dude: sorry

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
24mm is plenty wide on a full frame. Every mm makes a difference on the wide end. You would need a 16mm lens to get the same view on a crop sensor.

The reason so many kit lenses are 18-55mm is that they give approx the same view as 28-80mm did on film cameras. Nikon now packages the 16-85mm lens on the d300 and d7000 becasue it's equivalent to a 24-135 lens on full frame or film. That's as wide as most people need. Of course, for people photographing buildings and streetscapes, we want ultra wide angle.
Not all of us want ultra wide, I personally find them very annoying and limited. I've seen some great ultra wide work on here, but it's not my preferred shooting style. Wide angle is a must for architectural photography, even if that's not the only way to photograph architecture But ultra wide gives me way too much distortion, which I'll later just have to correct. Now, sometimes that distortion works really well at conveying certain things, but a lot of it seems to look goofy and unrealistic to me. Now, if you have a couple grand to throw down on a perspective correcting lens, or happen to get a good deal like you just did (even though it wasn't ultra wide) then I guess that problem is eliminated. But they're still limited in what you can photograph. I mean the only things they are really appropriate for are architectural and landscape photography. If you want to take pictures of flowers, graffiti, people, architectural close ups, trash, landscape close ups, etc. while you're out and about in your city's downtown, that ultra wide isn't going to be the best in most circumstances.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:23 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Well I decided to not wait for the d800 because most store owners I talked to and such think it will cost close to 4 grand and I can't afford that rigt now. The d700 is really hard to find right now though since its coming to the end of its production time. But I found a couple on amazon that we're in stock so I bit the bullet and bought one. I should get it in the mail in 2 days. I was 12th on the waiting list for the d800 at the camera exchange here in Houston. They told me today that it would be at least 6 months til I could get one or more. The d70o is an amazing camera though and will be an amazing upgrade to my ancient d200.
Congrats! I think you'll love the D700; considering the number of night streetscapes you shoot, the noise-free high-ISO capability should be an asset. You've already cultivated excellent shooting practices and habits, and you're well prepared to take advantage of the camera's capabilities. As I recall, when I went from D200 to D700 I found that the camera RAW file sizes are somewhat larger.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography