HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I will bet anyone we won't see anything taller than the Bank of America tower in the next 30 years. There have been many articles about how super tall structures don't make economic sense in nearly all scenarios, outside the most expensive cities, and the towers are more about prestige than anything else. China has outlawed them, and we are now seeing the largest corporations building 'campuses' instead of trophy towers, as was done up until the 1980s. I believe cities should measure city prestige on how extensive their heavy rail metros are instead of the number of super tall structures. Can we lust over density and more rail over 'super-tall' from now on??? I would love to see a new East-West heavy rail line from Westside park to Ponce City Market with our city expanding the skyline along that corridor. How amazing would that be???
I think you're right. We're fortunate to have what we got 30-35 years ago. Anything over 400' at this point is icing on the cake. As long as smart development continues height and trophy towers aren't necessary anymore. Jobs and people are what matters.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I will bet anyone we won't see anything taller than the Bank of America tower in the next 30 years. There have been many articles about how super tall structures don't make economic sense in nearly all scenarios, outside the most expensive cities, and the towers are more about prestige than anything else. China has outlawed them, and we are now seeing the largest corporations building 'campuses' instead of trophy towers, as was done up until the 1980s. I believe cities should measure city prestige on how extensive their heavy rail metros are instead of the number of super tall structures. Can we lust over density and more rail over 'super-tall' from now on??? I would love to see a new East-West heavy rail line from Westside park to Ponce City Market with our city expanding the skyline along that corridor. How amazing would that be???
What do you mean "china has outlawed them"?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
What do you mean "china has outlawed them"?
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/ch...hnk/index.html Supertalls can no longer be built in China.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:13 PM

That articles doesn’t mention the entire law. Any building over 600’ requires special permissions and justification. Essentially China has said nothing over 600’ because it’s to costly and inefficient over the life of the building.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:31 PM

Interesting.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 3:18 AM

The ban in China is over 500 meters tall, so plenty of supertalls (300m) are still being built. I am working on one now. Whether one is economically viable in Atlanta is a whole different conversation.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 4:52 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
The ban in China is over 500 meters tall, so plenty of supertalls (300m) are still being built. I am working on one now. Whether one is economically viable in Atlanta is a whole different conversation.
From my understanding 499 meters is the highest they can go, plus one needs to have special permission to build anything now over 250 meters. That's fine, give the rest of us a chance to catch up! XD

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:59 PM

Two new apartment proposals in Midtown Atlanta:

811 Peachtree:

180 10th street:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:10 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Those are both super generic and incredibly ugly. 🤦🏻♂️

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
I agree they're generic but not "incredibly ugly."

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Haha, you would hate the view from my midtown NYC apartment. I can see literally miles of 1950s-1980’s high rise residential architecture from my windows. I find many communist towers from Russia more attractive than many of the buildings I see. I think in most cities in the US and around the world, only high end neighborhoods have the best most striking architecture. Keep dreaming though- I think the two new towers look great.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Haha, you would hate the view from my midtown NYC apartment. I can see literally miles of 1950s-1980’s high rise residential architecture from my windows. I find many communist towers from Russia more attractive than many of the buildings I see. I think in most cities in the US and around the world, only high end neighborhoods have the best most striking architecture. Keep dreaming though- I think the two new towers look great.
Agreed. These are mostly good looking buildings. My only real objection is the treatment of the parking podium on 811 and that blank wall facing north, which might end up being painted with a mural and not as bad as in the rendering

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 11:50 AM

Hell, I actually like them..^^^^

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Agreed. These are mostly good looking buildings. My only real objection is the treatment of the parking podium on 811 and that blank wall facing north, which might end up being painted with a mural and not as bad as in the rendering
Luckily the design review committee noted the same thing, and requested the architects continue the glass curtain wall treatment (or other visually pleasing treatment) along all sides of the parking podium. They have to revise and present again next month.

The podium treatment on 10th street is nice - it gives nod to the rainbow crosswalks at 10th and Piedmont.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Houston has lots of these. Atlanta can do better.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 11:18 PM

The rainbow on the 10th street tower is an awesome idea. It's basically in the heart of the LGBTQ+ community.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
The rainbow on the 10th street tower is an awesome idea. It's basically in the heart of the LGBTQ+ community.
Have you ever been to Atlanta? That rainbow has been there for a long time now.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Have you ever been to Atlanta? That rainbow has been there for a long time now.
I guess he meant on the tower, not the street!!! Read it over again!!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Agreed. Houston has lots of these. Atlanta can do better.
These buildings are not bad-- its just that we have seen so many of them now-- they are light years better than what we built 10 years ago-- Novare's generic boxes or worse--

Last edited by Verge; Jul 16, 2021 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
These building are not bad-- its just that we have seen so many of them now-- they are light years better than what we built 10 years ago-- Novare's generic boxes or worse--
Totally agree...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations