HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 5:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Potential Midrise to look forward to in the future:
----------------------------------

Another deal in Harlem as HAP buys lot on 121st Street

Quote:
The lot last sold in 2010 for approximately $9 million when it emerged from foreclosure. Sparks was also the broker on that transaction.
The site includes 100 linear feet of Third Avenue retail and is zoned for 91,600 square feet of buildable residential space.

Prior plans, which weren’t approved by the city and did not materialize, included a potential 10-story residential building on the site.
“There’s a trend of buildings going up on this corridor from 110th to 125th Street,” Sparks said. At least two other residential developments are being built on that same stretch.

Sparks has worked on multiple transactions in Harlem, and told TRD that he has more in the pipeline. Earlier this week, Sparks closed a deal on a package of unsold condos on Manhattan Avenue and 117th Street. A closing on a smaller deal on Third Avenue is expected to take place soon. In addition, Stark has three or four more deals in contract.
“The market is hot,” said Sparks, who has been working in Harlem real estate for many years. “It’s becoming a preferred neighborhood for young professionals to move.”
====================================
June 13, 2014
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/06/...-121st-street/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Potential Midrise to look forward to in the future:
----------------------------------

Another deal in Harlem as HAP buys lot on 121st Street
I think I've mentioned to you previously that this is a great forum and I am impressed with the number of well designed bldgs going up in NYC.

Couple of questions: Do you think Hap 5 with the green and purple balconies going up in Harlem will be a dog or look good when its done? Can't decide.

Secondly, do you know how many units are under construction and proposed in NYC? It looks like there are a ton.........a lot more than in years past. Any idea?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 5:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
I think I've mentioned to you previously that this is a great forum and I am impressed with the number of well designed bldgs going up in NYC.

Couple of questions: Do you think Hap 5 with the green and purple balconies going up in Harlem will be a dog or look good when its done? Can't decide.

Secondly, do you know how many units are under construction and proposed in NYC? It looks like there are a ton.........a lot more than in years past. Any idea?
I think Hap 5 will at first look a little strange in the neighborhood, but Harlem is experiencing a new wave of architecture. From all of the developments planned in the area, I think overtime it will fit in. Design wise, yea I dig it. Its different, and thats what adds spice to a neighborhood. Its looks warm, inviting, and playful, and will make a great addition. The city needs more developments on the midrise level like that. I don't mind glass, but colors can also make a building standout in a positive way.

With the amount of units, I am not sure to be honest. Maybe the NYC Department of Buildings might have a figure, but rest assure its probably easily over 10,000 units. In SSP, we tend to focus on high rises, but in this city, its the little developments that make up a big portion of construction. It will only speed up in the future too if DeBlasio's affordable housing plan kicks it into high gear. In terms of construction, it looks like it eclipsed the pre 2008 in terms of dollars. The city definitely weathered the recession very well.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 9:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

I read this article today pertaining to the office boom, and construction in general when it comes to office space. Thought you might like it. Although I would like to know how many residential units are expected. If we even begin to count the low rises, its a lot. Most of these developments have been mid rises in the past couple of pages.

========================
========================

Manhattan office construction to hit 25-year high by 2015

Quote:
Manhattan will see office space increase by 9 million square feet in the three years between 2013 and 2015, according to a new report from the New York Building Congress. That would be the fastest pace of development since 1990.

Roughly two-thirds of that construction is slated for downtown, with the World Trade Center leading the way. In the following three years, the Building Congress expects developers to create another 10 million square feet. Between 2016 and 2018, 30 Hudson Yards, 1 Manhattan West, 2 and 3 World Trade Center will contribute significantly to the build-out.

The pace of construction will help drive growth in office space over the decade ending in 2019 to 24.4 million square feet. That compares with 19.4 million square feet in the preceding decade and 10.7 million square feet back in the 1990s.

But the office market does face some headwinds, Richard Anderson, Building Congress president, told Crain’s. While total office employment has hit a record 1.8 million jobs, more people are leaving offices than moving in. Industries that traditionally demand more space, such as finance, insurance and communications, are not adding as many jobs as those with smaller footprints.

Construction financing is also flowing less freely than it was during the boom years, a trend which favors experienced developers with greater equity and non-union builders.

New York City will need to continue adding about 20,000 jobs per year in order to maintain demand and prevent vacancy rates from creeping higher, according to the report.
===================================
BY MARK FAHEY
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...sfp=3015791883

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 3:32 AM

Quote:
I read this article today pertaining to the office boom, and construction in general when it comes to office space. Thought you might like it. Although I would like to know how many residential units are expected. If we even begin to count the low rises, its a lot. Most of these developments have been mid rises in the past couple of pages.

========================
========================

Manhattan office construction to hit 25-year high by 2015

BY MARK FAHEY
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...sfp=3015791883
Interesting about NYC's office space development...........I don't get it. NYC's major users are the ones cutting back. So who is going to take up the new space coming online? It will be interesting to watch it unfold.

If you ever find out how many housing units, let me know. I suspect its a level of production that NYC hasn't seen for quite some time.

RE Hap 5, I suspect it will look good when its finished but truthfully, I think it could go either way.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Six-Story Mixed-Use Building in the Works at Broadway and Decatur in Ocean Hill

Quote:
As the city considers upzoning Broadway in Bushwick, Bed Stuy and East New York, some developers are taking the plunge and building beneath the J,M,Z elevated tracks despite height restrictions. Affordable housing developer Alembic Community Development is planning a six-story, mixed-use project at 1676 Broadway in Ocean Hill/Bed Stuy, according to a new building application.

That address is new. In 2012, a very large property on the corner consisting of multiple parcels, which has housed wholesale and retail building supply company Henry Distributors at 1674 Broadway for decades, changed hands for $1,030,254. It is now owned by an entity called Broadway Decatur Housing Development Fund Corp., according to ACRIS.
06/16/14
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014...in-ocean-hill/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

SI North Shore Pier Set to Transform into Residential, Commercial Hot Spot

Quote:
It's a three acre site at the foot of the St. George Ferry terminal—and it's the final piece of the revitalization planned for Staten Island's North Shore.

After a series of stops and starts, developer Triangle Equities is set to transform this historic but abandoned pier into a residential and retail space with breathtaking views of the water.

"We just saw this as a tremendous opportunity," says Lester Petracca of Triangle Equities.

The site—to be called Lighthouse Point—is now owned by the Department of Transportation, and will be leased by Triangle Equities for the next 50 years.

Years ago, parts for lighthouses were built in the old Coast Guard buildings here.

Many of those old buildings have since been landmarked, presenting a challenge for developers to work the historic structures into their design.

Plans include a 12-story apartment complex, 80-thousand square feet of retail space, and a 160-room boutique hotel.
=================================
http://www.ny1.com/content/news/2104...rcial-hot-spot

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 6:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Salvation Army pushes to build state-of-the-art senior home on E. 125th St.

Quote:
The Salvation Army has its sights set on East Harlem, with plans to build a gleaming new affordable senior residence atop a refurbished community center on E. 125th St.

To help pay for the project, the organization aims to sell the Williams Memorial Residence - the popular senior home it opened 45 years ago in a former hotel on the Upper West Side - for a whopping $108 million.

The proposal is already attracting dogged adversaries, but the international nonprofit insists breaking ground in El Barrio makes the most economic sense.

The Salvation Army gave the Daily News a sneak peak of the designs, which includes construction of a planned 10-story building on the corner of Third Ave. and boasts such amenities as a rooftop restaurant, a library and computer room.
June 16, 2014
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1831942

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 10:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

261 West 25th Street:

Current Site:

Quote:
Permits reveal the development’s scope, which will measure 128,259 square feet. The 12-story building will be entirely residential, and given how large the 49 units will be — averaging over 2,600 square feet each — condominiums would appear likely.

On-site signage indicates completion of 261 West 25th Street is expected in November of 2015.
=============================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/06/rev...th-street.html

Last edited by chris08876; Jun 17, 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

City green-lights controversial New York Methodist Hospital expansion

Quote:
New York Methodist Hospital got the go-ahead to move forward with its ambitious plan to expand its footprint in Park Slope.

The city Board of Standards and Appeals voted unanimously on Tuesday to grant the Sixth St. hospital the zoning variances it sought to build an eight-story, U-shaped outpatient center in the brownstone neighborhood.

The hospital expansion, which has been a controversial issue among residents since the plan was unveiled last July, calls for the demolition of 16 hospital-owned buildings — including some 19th century brownstones — to make way for the 300,000-square-foot Center for Community Health.

======================================
BY NATALIE MUSUMECI
June 17, 2014
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1833530

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

338 West 15th Street:

Current Site:

Quote:
Permits reveal the formerly multi-family home will be converted into a single-family residence, spanning five floors and 5,959 square feet; the original structure measured 3,068 square feet, so the addition will roughly double the building’s size. Its height will increase from four to five floors, and from 40 to 60 feet.
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/06/rev...-street.html/1

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
I've done a little research on this. Using Data from Emporis (I have a connection who has a membership for Emporis paid research), Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, and the NYC Departments of Buildings, I made an extrapolation of the units per month. Its an estimate, might be off (+/-) by 7-10 percent, but the city averages right now, in this economy, an average of 3000-3100 new units of residential build/proposed per month. This includes midrises, highrises, conversions, and low rises. This will rise as De Blasio's plan goes through, but its a estimate, and seems consistent with the data.

If I do a linear fit, it does seem consistent with the growth % in construction when comparing the amounts of units and the rise in construction capital. Keep in mind this is not precise, but I feel its a good indication to get an idea of what we are dealing with.

Last edited by chris08876; Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 8:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

21 Barclay Street:

Quote:
A steel-framed building, now four stories tall, has been erected to the east of 30 Park Place, Silverstein’s 67-story Four Seasons Hotel and Residences. The mysterious low-rise building will apparently “house mechanical, loading dock and the underground garage entrance” of 30 Park Place.

June 19, 2014
http://tribecacitizen.com/2014/06/19...30-park-place/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 10:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Tadao Ando reveals concrete and glass apartment block for Lower Manhattan

Quote:
Japanese architect Tadao Ando has unveiled designs for his first building in New York City – a seven-storey concrete apartment block in Nolita.

Proposed for a site on the corner of Kenmare and Elizabeth Streets in Lower Manhattan, the 3,000-square-metre structure is designed by Tadao Ando to "embrace the industrial character of the area".

It will be constructed using in-situ concrete, galvanised steel and large expanses of glazing – materials that Ando has used for many projects, from his 1989 Church of the Light in Osaka to the recently completed art and design school at the University of Monterrey.

The building will accommodate eight residences, ranging between 175 and 450 square metres, and with between two and five bedrooms.

Ando will also create a large rooftop terrace, featuring a shallow reflective pool.

Construction is set to begin later this year, with completion scheduled for 2016.
=======================================
http://www.dezeen.com/2014/06/19/152...sfp=3015791883

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 2:51 PM
Registered Bldng Hugger

Quote:
338 West 15th Street:

Current Site:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/06/rev...-street.html/1
Perfect design for that site! A 7 level sliver.....well thought out..

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:10 PM
Registered Bldng Hugger

Quote:
529 Broadway

What it will replace:

The two story structure.

======================================
http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7311
Awesome replacement....

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:17 PM
Registered Bldng Hugger

Quote:
313 West 121st Street

================================
May 22, 2014
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...harlem_lot.php
I would have to say it's a great addition to the neighborhood!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Outdated Info

Last edited by chris08876; May 22, 2015 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 6:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

87-unit tower planned for booming Long Island City

Quote:
Yet another new development is slated for Long Island City, Queens, where a number of megaprojects have risen in recent years and other are already in the pipeline.

Sina Mahfar of SMA Equities plans to develop a 12-story, 87-unit project at 41-18th 24th Street, between 41st Avenue and Queens Plaza North. The building will feature 66,525 square feet of residential space, although whether the units will be rentals or condominiums is not yet known. The planned tower will also boast a roof terrace, parking and bike storage. A plan exam was filed earlier this week for the project, with Flushing-based MY Architect PC set to design.
=======================================
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/10/...g-island-city/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 6:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Paradoxical corner development planned for Grand and Elizabeth in Chinatown

Quote:
A seven-story residential conversion is coming to the corner of Grand and Elizabeth streets in Chinatown.

A three-story commercial building at 227 Grand Street will get four stories on top and a new front facade, according to permits filed Wednesday. The revamped, vertically embiggened building will rise 75 feet, with about 6,929 square feet of commercial space and 13,191 square feet of residential space spread over at least 28 apartments (Schedule A filing says 28 units, plan exam application says 33). Gene Kaufman is the architect of record. It will have storage, bike storage, a laundry room, retail on the cellar to second floors and a second-floor common terrace.

The corner project will sprout on a 72-foot-wide lot, according to the plan exam application. However, this presents an ontological problem, for 227 Grand is neither 72 feet wide or located on the corner:
JUNE 20, 2014
http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/06/223-227-grand.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development