HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 12:44 AM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,176
Medinah Temple needs a new use . . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 2:47 AM
skysoar skysoar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
If we are wish-listing, I vote for a 1600ft tower, but it needs to be in the heart of the Loop. Anything taller than Sears is going to look ridiculous that far south (McCormick). Thompson is the perfect spot for one aesthetically and for a casino.

My $.02
Maybe so, but the Thompson center area would not be able to provide the affordable parking needed for a casino, I believe. Also if the Mayor is speaking of an entertainment area component, then would the Thompson center area meet that criteria?.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 8:57 PM
Sky88's Avatar
Sky88 Sky88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
If we are wish-listing, I vote for a 1600ft tower, but it needs to be in the heart of the Loop. Anything taller than Sears is going to look ridiculous that far south (McCormick). Thompson is the perfect spot for one aesthetically and for a casino.

My $.02
Do you prefer a tower located in this place (south McCormick) ...



or in the Loop?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 8:55 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,794
Apparently Mercy Hospital is closing? https://www.chicagobusiness.com/heal...spital-closing

That's where the casino should go.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:56 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,396
Interesting... the trick is convincing people to walk across the Stevenson trench. If they can do something to the bridge on Michigan (wider sidewalks, landscaping, etc) to lure people down from Motor Row than I think it could be a great site. I have my usual concerns about urban design, but I think this site could allow for something closer to the traditional casino design with plenty of on-site parking, big gaming floors and a hotel tower. Just need to arrange those elements in an urban way.

Motor Row was always tossed around as an option, but it would be very challenging to acquire enough land there and deal with historic preservation issues... Mercy is a ready-made site that is basically a blank slate. I doubt the alderman would be on board, and there are other political challenges to redeveloping these sites... Michael Reese has taken over 10 years to get off the dime, and they still haven't broken ground. I imagine the same folks who protested Lincoln Yards will also come out against a casino on this site, if they think the casino factored into the decision to close the hospital.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 29, 2020 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 10:40 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 5,195
New Green line stop around 26th and State. Problem solved
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 11:05 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting... the trick is convincing people to walk across the Stevenson trench. If they can do something to the bridge on Michigan (wider sidewalks, landscaping, etc) to lure people down from Motor Row than I think it could be a great site. I have my usual concerns about urban design, but I think this site could allow for something closer to the traditional casino design with plenty of on-site parking, big gaming floors and a hotel tower. Just need to arrange those elements in an urban way.

Motor Row was always tossed around as an option, but it would be very challenging to acquire enough land there and deal with historic preservation issues... Mercy is a ready-made site that is basically a blank slate. I doubt the alderman would be on board, and there are other political challenges to redeveloping these sites... Michael Reese has taken over 10 years to get off the dime, and they still haven't broken ground. I imagine the same folks who protested Lincoln Yards will also come out against a casino on this site, if they think the casino factored into the decision to close the hospital.
I think the Casino would lure people on its own, but landscaping on Michigan would help bring casino people to Motor Row, which would be nice. Maybe even a nice plaza with a small outdoor entertainment space might make sense, although that would be costly (as would an infill Green Line site at 26th street, which this could catalyze). I bet a casino could actually use the high-rise portion of the hospital as a hotel if it wanted too though.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:00 PM
bhawk66 bhawk66 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 339
Somebody needs to copy/paste this to city halls bulletin board/Lightfoots desk. It's practically gift wrapped.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:11 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,396
I'm sure Mercy will hire a broker to market the property, if that broker doesn't shop it as a casino site then they're basically negligent.

Lightfoot doesn't seem like she's in a rush to do a casino deal while Covid is ongoing. Seems like she's more focused on getting the Obama Center done for the time being. Also, she hasn't indicated whether she will have the city select a site and then shop it to operators, or whether she will expect different operators to find their own sites.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:51 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Lightfoot doesn't seem like she's in a rush to do a casino deal while Covid is ongoing. Seems like she's more focused on getting the Obama Center done for the time being. Also, she hasn't indicated whether she will have the city select a site and then shop it to operators, or whether she will expect different operators to find their own sites.
The city is out with an RFI for casino operators now:
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...formation.html

It's a good sign that they are looking to take industry feedback into account from the start... obviously the city should not roll over for the casino operator on every detail but I'm glad they are not coming out and dictating a short list of "acceptable" casino sites, etc. that could be a poison pill for operators or at least seriously handicap the potential revenue. Developing this casino will need to be collaborative between the city and the operator.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 2:22 AM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,966
They need to hurry up and build this, would be an excellent looting spot...
__________________
Got suspended for using the term "Dingbat", no point in participating when that's your excuse for censorship.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 5:19 AM
Halsted & Villagio Halsted & Villagio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 179
No message
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 5:53 PM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
They need to hurry up and build this, would be an excellent looting spot...
Lori and her failed administration saw it as another thing to botch and further tank the city, so don't expect much.
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:49 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
They need to hurry up and build this, would be an excellent looting spot...
LOL I'm sure any casino operator will have real security like a bank and not just the low-grade rent-a-cops that other places have.

The trick will be convincing them not to design a blank wall fortress like most other urban casinos.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 11:25 PM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 574
Chicago doesn’t need a casino. Casinos are urban and social blight.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 6:09 AM
Mimol742 Mimol742 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NYC
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Chicago doesn’t need a casino. Casinos are urban and social blight.
Based on the amount of unemployed and unskilled people living in Chicago I think Chicago definitely needs a casino.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #217  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 12:49 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
Based on the amount of unemployed and unskilled people living in Chicago I think Chicago definitely needs a casino.
By that logic then most cities in the US need a casino.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #218  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 4:25 PM
west-town-brad west-town-brad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
By that logic then most cities in the US need a casino.
we are well on our way....

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #219  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:24 AM
Mimol742 Mimol742 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NYC
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
By that logic then most cities in the US need a casino.
I wouldn’t say most but many... Yes. Look At Chicago’s poverty rate and % people without a high school diploma.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #220  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 7:47 AM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
I wouldn’t say most but many... Yes. Look At Chicago’s poverty rate and % people without a high school diploma.
Actually, for the top 10 most populous cities in America Chicago ranks highly in terms of educational attainment. I know all about this data. The poverty rate in Chicago is also on par with that of NYC and given a margin of error from the ACS ranks around the middle (NYC, Dallas, San Antonio, and Chicago are all fairly similar).

2018, Percentage of people 25+ with less than a HS degree

1. San Diego: 13.02%
2. Chicago: 14.12%
3. Philadelphia: 14.13%
4. San Jose: 14.29%
5. Phoenix: 16.87%
6. New York City: 17.29%
7. San Antonio: 17.73%
8. Houston: 21.42%
9. Dallas: 21.54%
10. Los Angeles: 22.41%

Source: Table S1501, 2018 American Community Survey 1 year (https://data.census.gov/)


2018, Percentage of people 25+ with Bachelor's degree or higher

1. San Diego: 46.02%
2. San Jose: 42.06%
3. Chicago: 39.40%
4. New York City: 38.98%
5. Los Angeles: 34.49%
6. Dallas: 33.61%
7. Houston: 32.92%
8. Philadelphia: 30.88%
9. Phoenix: 28.91%
10. San Antonio: 25.76%

Source: Table S1501, 2018 American Community Survey 1 year (https://data.census.gov/)

2018, Percentage of people below 50% of poverty level
1. San Jose: 3.81%
2. Phoenix: 6.41%
3. San Diego: 6.53%
4. Los Angeles: 6.83%
5. New York City: 7.69%
6. Dallas: 8.00%
7. Chicago: 8.04%
8. San Antonio: 8.11%
9. Houston: 9.33%
10. Philadelphia: 11.11%

Source: Table S1701, 2018 American Community Survey 1 year (https://data.census.gov/)

2018, Percentage of households making $100K+ income

1. San Jose: 55.19%
2. San Diego: 39.76%
3. New York City: 33.23%
4. Los Angeles: 31.42%
5. Chicago: 29.05%
6. Phoenix: 25.52%
7. Houston: 23.98%
8. Dallas: 23.55%
9. Philadelphia: 20.67%
10. San Antonio: 19.75%

Source: Table B19001, 2018 American Community Survey 1 year (https://data.census.gov/)
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.