HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
This tower makes quite an impact from the trails in Griffith Park. I'm wondering if the Mitsui tower u/c on Fig will be visible from that angle? As of last week, it was not.
You can even see it from the silverlake reservoir, it's great.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:16 AM

[QUOTE=craigs;9644633]Urbanize Los Angeles has posted a color rendering of the Hollywood project since I posted the article:

They even put a render of the building across the street. Hopefully that means it's happening. Imagine this with the Crossroads development as well. That's still happening, right?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Definitely. Hollywood is shaping up really really nicely. If we could accelerate the Hollywood Blvd street make over, several other major projects and clean up the homeless, that's gonna be a fantastic LA neighborhood
I think the Crossroads development by itself will put Hollywood over the top (assuming of course that the homeless situation can be mitigated).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisheye View Post
I think the Crossroads development by itself will put Hollywood over the top (assuming of course that the homeless situation can be mitigated).
I don't know what development or project will put Hollywood over the top, but I believe that it's going to experience a wave of large-scale and iconic developments very soon. Three environmental reports were released just this week, one of which has a very iconic structure that we've previously seen.

The weird thing though, is that while the city hasn't yet adopted the Hollywood Community Plan, I don't think that the Plan allows for much more development than is already planned. Hollywood could be capped by the time the Plan is finally approved later this year. Unless the local and state laws allowing for more housing near transit supersede the plan and make it moot.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 11:01 PM

Didn't get a chance to grab pictures but the new Clippers arena is further along than i thought. I thought we were at least a few months away from groundbreaking but that thing looks to be 30-40% complete already. Mind Blown.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:04 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

This development might also put Hollywood over the top if it comes to fruition...

https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-de...ge-star-sunset
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
This development might also put Hollywood over the top if it comes to fruition...

https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-de...ge-star-sunset
I think that's my favorite proposal in the entire Southland. It's so appropriate for Hollywood.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:25 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

It's like MAD stood the Lucas Museum up, sheathed it in glass, and had it dine at the Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles across the street for about 6 months straight with no exercise. And since I like both MAD & Roscoe's, I ain't, well, mad...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:15 AM

Wishing The Palladium Twins are built. Hollywood/Sunset is turning out to be a very interesting corridor.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:47 AM
Paramoderator

I stand firmly against that proposal. It's an ungainly design that interacts horribly with the pedestrian sphere. And I generally like MAD Architects!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I stand firmly against that proposal. It's an ungainly design that interacts horribly with the pedestrian sphere. And I generally like MAD Architects!
Don't worry, there's next to a 0% chance it gets built. This design is outright silly - it'd be insanely expensive to build and would be wildly impractical from a tenant perspective. Seems to me like a delusional/unsophisticated owner with MAD just going along for the ride because it allows them to put some crazy renderings out there with their name on it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:35 PM

Speaking of MAD architects (how great is it that we have one of the most aesthetically ambitious architecture firms now in town) I spotted to Lucas Museum last week as I was flying back to Los Angeles.

Coming along very nicely. Going to be an icon for Los Angeles for years to come.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Speaking of MAD architects (how great is it that we have one of the most aesthetically ambitious architecture firms now in town) I spotted to Lucas Museum last week as I was flying back to Los Angeles.

Coming along very nicely. Going to be an icon for Los Angeles for years to come.
Thanks for the pic--not only does it show the Lucas Museum taking shape, it also shows what appears to be site prep for the structure that will contain the Space Shuttle Endeavor.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 3:42 PM

UCLA renovation of historic 1941 Crest Theatre in Westwood scheduled for completion in March 2023

https://cap.ucla.edu/landing/the_nimoy

https://losangelestheatres.blogspot....t-theatre.html

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 5:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Was it really necessary to rename it?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
What's the issue with the name?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
What's the issue with the name?
Two points.

First, according to the link, that theater was called the UCLAN Theater when it first opened in 1940. It was later renamed the Metro in the late 1950s, and then renamed the Metro in the 1980s, then back to the Crest by the end of that decade--so it's not really a big deal to rename it yet again.

Second, there's reason to rename it the UCLA Nimoy Theater: UCLA bought the building, Leonard Nimoy studied at UCLA, and his widow, Susan Bay Nimoy, initially funded this renovation.

Any more complaints?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 2:25 AM
Paramoderator

Cranes up for Jamison’s two tower project in Koreatown.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 2:53 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Two points.

First, according to the link, that theater was called the UCLAN Theater when it first opened in 1940. It was later renamed the Metro in the late 1950s, and then renamed the Metro in the 1980s, then back to the Crest by the end of that decade--so it's not really a big deal to rename it yet again.

Second, there's reason to rename it the UCLA Nimoy Theater: UCLA bought the building, Leonard Nimoy studied at UCLA, and his widow, Susan Bay Nimoy, initially funded this renovation.

Any more complaints?

UCLANIMOY

The perfect compromise. Probably won't fit on the marquee though...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Cranes up for Jamison’s two tower project in Koreatown.
Oh wow! Great news!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations