HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Also, has anyone heard anything about this, or is it more of a conceptual render? If this is real, then a 7-story mixed-use building at the corner of Broad, 66th Ave, and Old York Road would be amazing for the area!

https://www.prll.studio/copy-of-1045-hartraft-st
Also, on that Parallel website, did you see this project at 11th & Ridge Ave.

https://www.prll.studio/more-project...7-2613cbd298ce

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Glad you have pet peeves vs my existential dread of the homicide rate and another round of Covid lockdowns. Trying to push that down and focus more on the wanting of additional holiday cheer.
Pet Peeve

def://A pet peeve, pet aversion, or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual finds particularly irritating to them, to a greater degree than would be expected based on the experience of others.

I would hope everyone is concerned about the homicide rate. It's far more than a "minor annoyance". The past few weeks have been grueling. The good news is, the national press has picked it up in a spectator sport like fashion so maybe now Jim, Danielle, (#3 and #4) and Larry will try to do something about it.

As for another round of Covid lockdowns. Not gonna happen. I'm boosted and at this point, and tired of worrying about people who don't care enough to protect themselves. I can't care about you more than you care about you. I take the obvious precautions and am courteous in the public sphere.

It's also time people start paying attention to our Judicial Races. Apparently the guy who shot that Temple student was arrested in August (i.e. 4 months ago) for car jacking someone with a gun. He was released on unsecured bail.

The judge who released him on unsecured bail was Joffie C Pittman. Charges were later dropped when the main witness did not show up for trial.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Pet Peeve

def://A pet peeve, pet aversion, or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual finds particularly irritating to them, to a greater degree than would be expected based on the experience of others.

I would hope everyone is concerned about the homicide rate. It's far more than a "minor annoyance". The past few weeks have been grueling. The good news is, the national press has picked it up in a spectator sport like fashion so maybe now Jim, Danielle, (#3 and #4) and Larry will try to do something about it.

As for another round of Covid lockdowns. Not gonna happen. I'm boosted and at this point, and tired of worrying about people who don't care enough to protect themselves. I can't care about you more than you care about you. I take the obvious precautions and am courteous in the public sphere.

It's also time people start paying attention to our Judicial Races. Apparently the guy who shot that Temple student was arrested in August (i.e. 4 months ago) for car jacking someone with a gun. He was released on unsecured bail.

The judge who released him on unsecured bail was Joffie C Pittman. Charges were later dropped when the main witness did not show up for trial.
Thanks for the optimism. I was feeling a bit down in the dumps over the string of national and local news this week. In her press conference, Bettigole sort of implied that lockdowns are on the table, but it seems like most in the administration are trying to veer away from that as much as possible. I don’t think the local economy is rebounding as much as they had anticipated. Only half of office workers have returned and that is unlikely to change much. Sadly, we may not be seeing another 1,000+ footer for perhaps a very long time.

Thr current administration needs to be held accountable on the homicide rate. It’s unacceptable. More people in the city need to get involved and call them out. The lone guy outside City Hall with the megaphone and lawn chair, who is certainly admirable, isn’t going to cut it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:09 PM

For folks living in the surrounding neighborhoods and sick of almost getting run down:
https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/...e=direct_link&

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:

...It's also time people start paying attention to our Judicial Races. Apparently the guy who shot that Temple student was arrested in August (i.e. 4 months ago) for car jacking someone with a gun. He was released on unsecured bail.

The judge who released him on unsecured bail was Joffie C Pittman. Charges were later dropped when the main witness did not show up for trial....
These stories infuriate me to no end. The people involved with a system that allows this animal out of jail until he needed a preventative prostate exam ((50 years old, BTW) should be prosecuted for aiding and abetting a murder.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:01 PM
Chris

Quote:
Pet Peeve

Any chance Outlaw might resign or be replaced? And I read about the last paragraph in the news today, ridiculous and should be criminal. :/

While that murder was a tragedy, I am glad Temple is now committed to increasing their police force and working closer with PPD. A change from last year when Temple decided to stop funding the Philadelphia Police Foundation. A shame they temporarily caved to the whole "defund" "abolish" movement.

And with all the good happening in the city, I am worried, the trajectory can change fast. Philadelphia made national news 4 times in the last 3 weeks.
1. Woman murdered at her check cashing business (attempting to block the thief).
2. Hate crime against Asian students on the subway (so sad).
3. Temple student murdered.
4. Teen shot 18 times at the bus stop.

And not a peep from anyone in the Philadelphia Design, Policy FB group about these horrendous crimes or scary high homicide rate / count. How are things supposed to improve with incompetent leadership, no help from the state, and people in denial about the problem because it doesn't fit their agenda...?

(sorry if my post got too political )

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Any chance Outlaw might resign or be replaced? And I read about the last paragraph in the news today, ridiculous. :/

And like many recent crimes, that murder was a tragedy. But glad Temple is now committed to increasing their police force and working closer with PPD. A change from last year when Temple decided to stop funding the Philadelphia Police Foundation. A shame they temporarily caved to the whole "defund" "abolish" movement.

And with all the good happening in the city, I am worried, the trajectory can change fast, and Philadelphia made national news 4 times in the last 3 weeks.
1. Woman murdered at her check cashing business (attempting to block the thief).

And not one peep from anyone in the Philadelphia Design, Policy FB group about these horrendous crimes or scary high homicide rate / count. How are things supposed to change with incompetent leadership, no help from the state, and people in denial about the problem because it doesn't fit their agenda...

I know, 100% agree. All of these things are frequently running in the back of my mind as well. Since many seem to want to be the proverbial three monkeys covering their faces, we have to be the ones who give a “peep”. I know it’s difficult on some of those forums because people get touchy when you point out hard truths. Speak the truth, post, get involved - ignore the criticisms. People are dying; you’re in the right.

Be the change you want to see.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:31 PM

Something absolutely needs to be done about the homicide rate. If we don't see changes next year and the rate start dropping, I think this will start to affect the city unfortunately. The lawlessness in this city the past 2 years cannot continue.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:32 PM

Permits Issued For 453-Unit Residential Building At 2621-67 Frankford Avenue In East Kensington

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ensington.html

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Sadly, we may not be seeing another 1,000+ footer for perhaps a very long time.
I wouldn't be sure about that. Yes I agree the city has numerous problems that have been magnified exponentially, but the crime has largely stayed to a few sections of the city, as it usually does. The main barrier to another supertall, is simply what they build it as, A-lot of proposals in CC are getting taller, look at rittenhouse square for example. I think if developers are creative enough in there design of the supertall we can see another one within a decade or so. We will never have a supertall for all 1 purpose like NYC, L.A or other cities, and I think that's fine

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Any chance Outlaw might resign or be replaced? And I read about the last paragraph in the news today, ridiculous and should be criminal. :/

While that murder was a tragedy, I am glad Temple is now committed to increasing their police force and working closer with PPD. A change from last year when Temple decided to stop funding the Philadelphia Police Foundation. A shame they temporarily caved to the whole "defund" "abolish" movement.

And with all the good happening in the city, I am worried, the trajectory can change fast. Philadelphia made national news 4 times in the last 3 weeks.

And not a peep from anyone in the Philadelphia Design, Policy FB group about these horrendous crimes or scary high homicide rate / count. How are things supposed to improve with incompetent leadership, no help from the state, and people in denial about the problem because it doesn't fit their agenda...?

Violent crime is an issue bigger than the current leadership can tackle. It’s nationwide and we need to be looking at the root causes for it to stop it not to police commissioner. Income inequality, lack of good paying jobs in these communities, lack of basic education etc all need to be addressed. It’s a tough and complex issue that needs more attention than “police commissioner bad.” With that said the administration does need to do a better job of locking up violent criminals. They need to better with witness protection, they need more investigators. There’s things that can help but until the root issues are addressed the problem will still be there.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
Violent crime is an issue bigger than the current leadership can tackle. It’s nationwide and we need to be looking at the root causes for it to stop it not to police commissioner. Income inequality, lack of good paying jobs in these communities, lack of basic education etc all need to be addressed. It’s a tough and complex issue that needs more attention than “police commissioner bad.” With that said the administration does need to do a better job of locking up violent criminals. They need to better with witness protection, they need more investigators. There’s things that can help but until the root issues are addressed the problem will still be there.
“Income inequality, lack of good paying jobs in these communities, lack of basic education” - these issues have been around for a long time. The homicide rate had actually been dropping significantly in the city until 2017 when it started increasing again year over year. As has been pointed out, there have been significant policy changes in many major cites that coincide with these statistics.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Issued For 453-Unit Residential Building At 2621-67 Frankford Avenue In East Kensington

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ensington.html
This is huge. I think in the next ten years the entirety of Frankford from Delaware to Lehigh is going to be a continuous hub of activity

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
“Income inequality, lack of good paying jobs in these communities, lack of basic education” - these issues have been around for a long time. The homicide rate had actually been dropping significantly in the city until 2017 when it started increasing again year over year. As has been pointed out, there have been significant policy changes in many major cites that coincide with these statistics.
Why are you looking at this as a solely Philadelphia issue? While I agree that the homicide rate was ticking up in 2017, 2018 and 2019, the MAIN DRIVERS for 2020 and 2021 really need to be separated. COVID, the George Floyd Protests and rioting/looting, the Black Lives Matter movement, the defund the police movement, etc. etc.... these are all things that happened in 2020 that are the main drivers behind what we're seeing now. These events also sent crime and homicide rates skyrocketing across the US.... not just Philly.

While I agree this is something we need to get under control, every city across the country is dealing with increased crime and homicide rates right now. Philly's not alone in this. That's something we can take solace in at the very least.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
I wouldn't be sure about that. Yes I agree the city has numerous problems that have been magnified exponentially, but the crime has largely stayed to a few sections of the city, as it usually does. The main barrier to another supertall, is simply what they build it as, A-lot of proposals in CC are getting taller, look at rittenhouse square for example. I think if developers are creative enough in there design of the supertall we can see another one within a decade or so. We will never have a supertall for all 1 purpose like NYC, L.A or other cities, and I think that's fine
I’m going to have to push back against “crime has largely stayed to a few sections of the city”. That really isn’t fair to the good people who live in them that are suffering most.

I hope you’re right, but traditional office space demand just isn’t going to return to full capacity, pre pandemic levels. More than likely, we’ll continue to see more office tower to residential conversions (which apparently Philly is leading in btw) and development cater to the growing Life Sciences industry, which often is more amenable to low to mid rise buildings like Bellwether. Unless the city decides to become the next Charlotte and open itself up to business, I suspect we won’t see another Comcast anytime soon. Sure, you’ll still have your Laurels and other luxury residential high rises, but I think realistically you’re right in that it could be at least a decade before we see the city’s next tallest tower rise.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Why are you looking at this as a solely Philadelphia issue? While I agree that the homicide rate was ticking up in 2017, 2018 and 2019, the MAIN DRIVERS for 2020 and 2021 really need to be separated. COVID, the George Floyd Protests and rioting/looting, the Black Lives Matter movement, the defund the police movement, etc. etc.... these are all things that happened in 2020 that are the main drivers behind what we're seeing now. These events also sent crime and homicide rates skyrocketing across the US.... not just Philly.

While I agree this is something we need to get under control, every city across the country is dealing with increased crime and homicide rates right now. Philly's not alone in this. That's something we can take solace in at the very least.
Look at what Oakland is dealing with. Their progressive mayor just had to ask to walk back all of the defunding reforms they passed last year in the wake of the riots. People there were afraid to even leave their homes.

It's certainly an issue that Philadelphia's leadership could be doing more to tackle, but we're not going to see any real progress made until this is addressed at a national level. It's also unfortunately a cultural issue at this point, which makes it far harder to resolve. People feel a certain way on both sides and aren't going to budge because they will perceive it as a personal attack on their values.

The word of law without enforcement to back it up is a dog without teeth: ultimately nothing to fear or respect. As people begin to realize what they can get away with without getting caught, they will get gutsier. People will commit more crimes. You can pass all of the laws you want, but unless there are enforcers to ensure that those who break the law are punished and/or removed from civil society, society will not be... well, civil. It's literally the Wild West, and I use that term without intending hyperbole.

Having police oversight and enforcing the rule of law are not mutually exclusive.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:

I respectfully disagree that I suggested that this is solely a Philly issue. As I said, “...there have been significant policy changes in many major cites that coincide with these statistics.” My statement affirms everything you just said and more. As 3rd&Brown pointed out, the Temple shooter had been previously released on a previous charge with unsecured bail. This policy has been implemented in many other cities over the last few years as well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:19 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Look at what Oakland is dealing with. Their progressive mayor just had to ask to walk back all of the defunding reforms they passed last year in the wake of the riots. People there were afraid to even leave their homes.

It's certainly an issue that Philadelphia's leadership could be doing more to tackle, but we're not going to see any real progress made until this is addressed at a national level. It's also unfortunately a cultural issue at this point, which makes it far harder to resolve. People feel a certain way on both sides and aren't going to budge because they will perceive it as a personal attack on their values.

The word of law without enforcement to back it up is a dog without teeth: ultimately nothing to fear or respect. As people begin to realize what they can get away with without getting caught, they will get gutsier. People will commit more crimes. You can pass all of the laws you want, but unless there are enforcers to ensure that those who break the law are punished and/or removed from civil society, society will not be... well, civil. It's literally the Wild West, and I use that term without intending hyperbole.

Having police oversight and enforcing the rule of law are not mutually exclusive.
Well said. After reading a lot of your posts I find I end up agreeing with you on every issue, design, building etc lol.

As I’ve said before, all of us on here more or less seem to be preeching to the choir with perhaps a few minor differences at this point. I think all of us love this city and want to see it thrive. I can’t stress enough now is the time to take action and get involved with your communities and join local organizations or create new ones. Make your voices heard - everyone on this forum has the right mindset for this city in some way shape or form. I’m out

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
I respectfully disagree that I suggested that this is solely a Philly issue. As I said, “...there have been significant policy changes in many major cites that coincide with these statistics.” My statement affirms everything you just said and more. As 3rd&Brown pointed out, the Temple shooter had been previously released on a previous charge with unsecured bail. This policy has been implemented in many other cities over the last few years as well.
Well then, I think we agree overall. Crime was ticking up in 2017, 2018 and 2019 BECAUSE of the mayor, the current police commissioner, and the current DA. I don't believe it would've ever gotten this bad though if not for the events that unfolded in 2020 that exacerbated all of these issues and sent a lot of these issues in most cities in the US skyrocketing through the ceiling.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Agree wholeheartedly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development