HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 2:38 PM

46-Unit Adaptive Reuse Project Planned for Former Banks on Front Street

Current site of 1952-58 N. Front Street:

Rendering of project:

Rendering of project:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/46-unit...-front-street/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 2:39 PM

Construction Progresses At 1754 Wylie Street In Francisville

Rendering:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/08/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 2:40 PM

Permits Issued For 1601 Frankford Avenue In Fishtown

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/08/perm...-fishtown.html

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 2:43 PM

Prologis buys former parking lot for $45 million near Philadelphia International Airport

Quote:
A popular parking lot near Philadelphia International Airport has been snapped up for $45 million by Prologis, a real estate giant that specializes in leasing space to retail, e-commerce, and logistics businesses, according to the firm that brokered the deal.

The deal is yet another sign of intensifying interest in the Philadelphia region for companies that focus on getting goods to customers, a trend epitomized by Amazon’s growing footprint of warehouse and distribution centers in and around Philly.

Prologis acquired Philadelphia developer Liberty Property Trust, and with it more than 500 industrial sites, in a $13 billion transaction that closed last year. As of June, Prologis either owned or had invested in nearly one billion square feet of real estate in 19 countries. The company says its top customers include Amazon, Home Depot, FedEx, UPS, and DHL.

Prologis did not immediately provide comment Thursday. InterPark did not return a request for comment.

A 271,000-square-foot facility sits on the parcel at 4700 Island Ave. In marketing materials, Newmark highlighted the property’s proximity to PHL, Center City and PhilaPort, its easy access to highways, and the 49 million people located within a 200-mile radius.
Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/prolog...-20210806.html

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yet Another Apartment Building Will Drop on the 4200 Block of Chestnut

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...block-chestnut
Great that new density is coming to the area, but that rowhome coming down is a charmer. Wish they could save that but still tear down the ugly monstrosity to the left.

That Alterra project is also wacky. Like, it has traditional massing, but some of the cheapest materials around. I get that it’s supposed to be student housing, but you couldn’t even use faux brick inserts? Anything other than metal paneling?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Cool! That section of 33rd with the dock kind of ruins the feel that Penn is trying to go for with the park in that area. Happy to see a theatre there!
Agreed.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 3:24 PM

City Requests Feedback on Design for Public Space Improvements at Broad, Germantown, & Erie

Read/view more here:
https://www.phila.gov/2021-01-22-cit...KNTp31_D_ucm58

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 3:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
The 10 year tax abatement has nothing at all to do with demolition of historic structures. These would’ve been demolished either way, it’s just that developers are rushing to do it more quickly now than they would’ve been if the abatement kept going unaltered. More of Inga completely missing the point, but having the right heart.

I don’t disagree with the idea here; Ridge Avenue, while now dense and built up, has quite a few mingers in a sea of mediocrity. There are even fewer attractive buildings.

It’s honestly a balance. What qualifies as historic? What makes a building worth preserving? I would argue that the Robinson Building on Market doesn’t, but some people on this board might disagree with me.

At the end of the day, we need to strike a balance as a city, especially as a World Heritage City, between preservation and change. Philadelphia should not remain stagnant. On the other hand, we should honor our heritage and keep the feel of neighborhoods around for posterity. I wouldn’t be a good rail preservationist if I didn’t admit that much.

I think that at least part of the problems that Inga complains about could be solved by mandating which materials can be used in which neighborhoods. Surprisingly, I think there was a recent bill in Strawberry Mansion which mandated that new construction must use masonry and is explicitly not allowed to use metal paneling. This type of zoning overlay could certainly not only help make new construction look better, but also allow for developers to construct buildings that are holistically better for the feel of the neighborhood. Buildings that, given time, themselves might even be worth preserving.

To compare the other cities, we need to be somewhere in between Baltimore and Chicago. Baltimore was one of the first cities to mark buildings as immune to demolition, and while they certainly have preserved a lot of great architecture, it has fallen to the wayside as developers have not had the freedom to better utilize the land. Chicago, on the other hand, tore down most of the South Side and has erected plenty of monotonous, aluminum-siding-clad homes. Almost reminiscent of some of the shit we get in Philly.

Developers can build well. They can even do it economically. There’s a building I see going up in Wrigleyville on my commute in that is brand new, but could have been designed in the 1920s. Traditional massing, masonry construction, etc. I believe Wrigleyville has a historical zoning overlay that makes developers build using these materials, and I would love to see Philly do the same.

Certain places like Clark Park and Parkside come to mind. These neighborhoods should be preserved, and any new structure should be in accordance with the character of the neighborhood. Altering the fabric of the neighborhood won’t be holistically beneficial here like it was along Ridge or Front Street along the El.

On the other hand, as just stated above, there are plenty of places in the city I can think of that desperately need to be rezoned, and almost completely rebuilt. South Broad comes to mind. South Philadelphians love to complain about parking, and then refuse to let dense development be built around their one transit line.

Sorry for what has turned into a rant. It’s a difficult situation that some people believe the answer is clearly one way or the other. In reality, this can only be fixed with a compromise.
Not at all a rant, I enjoyed reading it!

Your point about mandating materials is especially important. Philadelphia is well beyond the days of "any development is good development". We only deserve the best.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:44 PM
Midrise

Quote:

City Requests Feedback on Design for Public Space Improvements at Broad, Germantown, & Erie

Read/view more here:
https://www.phila.gov/2021-01-22-cit...KNTp31_D_ucm58
The headline notwithstanding, the City posted this notice in January and the comment period ended in February.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I think it would be really cool if they could incorporate some sort of outdoor performance space facing Woodland Walk. With the steeping hill on the other side (it's called Hill college house after all), it could be a really interesting amphitheater-like space where you could stage student performances, even host more of those short-speech series or whatever. Tons of people walk through there, it'd be highly visible.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I think it would be really cool if they could incorporate some sort of outdoor performance space facing Woodland Walk. With the steeping hill on the other side (it's called Hill college house after all), it could be a really interesting amphitheater-like space where you could stage student performances, even host more of those short-speech series or whatever. Tons of people walk through there, it'd be highly visible.
They're apparently looking for input, so you should suggest that.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
As 10-year tax abatement nears its end, Philadelphia’s architectural treasures are left vulnerable

https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...-20210805.html

Thoughts on this article?
This is the kind of thinking that soured me on historic preservation. "on one hand, historic preservation would incur significant short and long term costs, on the other hand I wouldn't be paying those costs." I just don't think driving up housing prices and skyrocketing the cost of maintaining homes with old inefficient styles is worth making the city look better to people like Inga.

The black doctors row thing is another horrific example, a bunch of generic rowhouses in one of the richest neighborhoods in the city and they can't be altered because a kind of famous person lived nearby. That's definitely not an insane standard to go by!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 5:01 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Permits Issued For 1601 Frankford Avenue In Fishtown

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/08/perm...-fishtown.html
On one hand...I really have a soft spot for that classic 20s-style accessory commercial unit (and garage, ugh) attached to that Fishtown rowhome.

On the other hand...This new proposal still manages to look a whole lot better than it.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
On one hand...I really have a soft spot for that classic 20s-style accessory commercial unit (and garage, ugh) attached to that Fishtown rowhome.

On the other hand...This new proposal still manages to look a whole lot better than it.
I just hope they save Matt Damon =\

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I just hope they save Matt Damon =\
#SaveTheShyBoys

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 2:56 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post

Agreed. A little charm will be lost, albeit forlorn, but the new structure will be an improvement.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Did you read my post? At all?

These buildings were going to be demolished whether or not the abatement was ending this year. It’s just that because the abatement is ending this year, developers are rushing to get permits in hand.

One of the structures Inga brings up in her article is a church that was literally condemned as unstable. Are you telling me that it would’ve been saved if the abatement wasn’t ending this year?
Did I misquote you?

There is plenty to disagree with regarding the rest of your post, but if you're failing to understand how a tax abatement on new construction makes it more likely that old buildings be torn down then I'm not sure there is much point in addressing the rest. Instead of reacting defensively, perhaps take a moment and examine your assumptions.

I'm not attacking you and I apologize if you're offended.

Last edited by Justin7; Aug 9, 2021 at 11:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Prologis buys former parking lot for $45 million near Philadelphia International Airport

Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/prolog...-20210806.html
FFS, Inquirer, can I get an outline of the site?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:45 PM
Philly Pholly

Any speculation of plans for this lot?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 8:01 PM
Chris

Small Changes and New Renderings for Municipal Complex at 1100 Wharton

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...x-1100-wharton

Glad to see this move forward. Stinks Alterra ditched the 7th floor and the balconies though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development