HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
300 N Michigan is another example... it might as well not even be there. Even in this flattering pic with a nice reflection of Mather Tower, it adds nothing of its own. Now imagine 900 W Randolph (hopefully taller) was built there. Would be a dynamic clash of modern and classic.
The fun thing about that reflection of Mather Tower though is that it was supposed to have a never-built twin at 330 Michigan Avenue, so 300 Michigan now sort of unintentionally completes that vision.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 5:56 PM

^^^ I learned something today.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 9:34 PM

Not that anyone cares, but my opinion on this tower and the whole development hasn't changed much since the height and design was finalized.

It looks great from the street and along the Riverwalk. You don't really see it once you get outside of the CBD. It would have been nice if it was about 100+ feet taller. As it is, this is a vast improvement over the surface parking lot that had stood there for decades. The fact that a very nice development covers up the Apparel Mart is a big, big win. It's an A- development, maybe B+. Criticisms of its shortcomings are warranted, but I'm not going to call this anything less than very nice.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Not that anyone cares, but my opinion on this tower and the whole development hasn't changed much since the height and design was finalized.

It looks great from the street and along the Riverwalk. You don't really see it once you get outside of the CBD. It would have been nice if it was about 100+ feet taller. As it is, this is a vast improvement over the surface parking lot that had stood there for decades. The fact that a very nice development covers up the Apparel Mart is a big, big win. It's an A- development, maybe B+. Criticisms of its shortcomings are warranted, but I'm not going to call this anything less than very nice.

Sigh.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
What would you have proposed, if you don't mind me asking?

One less building.

But Wolf Point West fooled the kids. Well done Kennedy's. Took one view, sold units. and then slammed those views after sales, Smart. In the mean time hogged the sun.

Awesome.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:47 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
One less building.

But Wolf Point West fooled the kids. Well done Kennedy's. Took one view, sold units. and then slammed those views after sales, Smart. In the mean time hogged the sun.

Awesome.
Don't make it sound like they intentionally misled people. From the start they made it very clear the two buildings left on the site next to WPW were going to be significantly larger...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Don't make it sound like they intentionally misled people. From the start they made it very clear the two buildings left on the site next to WPW were going to be significantly larger...
Mmmk

Three fourths of the people on the east side of that building will now be waking up to Saleforce's finest interns outside their kitchen window. Can we be real here for a sec? Wasn't there a reason they sold those units first? Built that building first. Free and clear of Susan's desk first?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:30 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Can we be real here for a sec? Wasn't there a reason they sold those units first?
Sold?

I thought WPW was rentals, right?

Has that changed?

If so, when?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 29, 2022 at 5:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:47 AM

Nice, Steely. (I assume your questions are tongue-in-cheek.) WPW is rental, so there is definitely no bait-and-switch situation to see here.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Mmmk

Three fourths of the people on the east side of that building will now be waking up to Saleforce's finest interns outside their kitchen window. Can we be real here for a sec? Wasn't there a reason they sold those units first? Built that building first. Free and clear of Susan's desk first?
Then I guess they shouldn't have RENTED on the east side of WPW. As has been stated, the programming of the site was laid out from the beginning with the smallest building being WPW. There are no guarantees of an unobstructed view in Chicago unless you are facing a park.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:26 PM

Pretty sure it’s still rental. I looked at a unit in that building before I ultimately decided to buy a place instead years ago. And they had brochures showing the future development before a design was even settled on. It would be impossible to mislead people because the ultimate development scheme was made obvious and was very public. Many residential units look into other residential units and office buildings. Sometimes even hotels. That’s what window blinds are for.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:44 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Mmmk

They can move out once their lease is up. It's not like they are prisoners in their building...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
They can move out once their lease is up. It's not like they are prisoners in their building...
Agreed. I thought those were condos. I was wrong. That doesn't change the disappointment of the "programming" I have for this site. I stand by the opinion it could have been done a lot better with better regard to the surrounding area and to the impact it will have on the now near most famous stretch in the city.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 7:34 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Agreed. I thought those were condos. I was wrong. That doesn't change the disappointment of the "programming" I have for this site. I stand by the opinion it could have been done a lot better with better regard to the surrounding area and to the impact it will have on the now near most famous stretch in the city.
Most megaprojects start this way though... the smaller, and inevitably view blocked buildings go up first. Look at LSE, the Shoreham and the Lancaster went up first. They initially had lake views, but that went bye-bye years ago. Central Station as well saved the lots along Roosevelt facing Grant Park for last, and built all the buildings to the south first. Sky55 still has views of the park, but only as long as the lot on Roosevelt and Michigan stays vacant, which won't be forever. Its not like Wolf Point is the only development to follow this playbook. Its not a nefarious plot either, developers want to test the waters first with smaller buildings and then go bolder with the bigger towers once a neighborhood/development has proven itself when it comes to demand and sales, with the signature towers going up last.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 10:00 PM
Chicago

September 29, 2022

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 3:41 AM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
An underrated angle for this whole development.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
An underrated angle for this whole development.
Agreed. It wasn't too long ago that Riverbend condos towered over everything in the area... now it's barely noticeable.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:01 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Love it. Hope to see the day when the Apparel Mart and EBC get torn down and some complementing development links into Wolf Point.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Love it. Hope to see the day when the Apparel Mart and EBC get torn down and some complementing development links into Wolf Point.
Wait, apparel mart as in merchandise mart? you think that would ever get tore down? Also, I love the footprint of that building. Strong looking.

EMP?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction