HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Indeed.

This is not about race, it's about municipal councils' refusal to act and protect the Agricultural Land Reserve and the provincial government having to step in to do so. That land was set aside for agricultural use, not as building sites for megamansions. Nobody is stopping these people from building 10,000 sq/ft homes in Shaughnessy, or buying up two lots in Richmond and consolidating them, they just wanted the cheap building site the agricultural designation provided. For the record I agree with misher that churches etc are the same kind of threat, even though they are zoned differently as GenWhy pointed out. It's clear those demoninations chose that land becuase it gave them a cheap, large building site.
Those churches do serve a large community, and, in my opinion, it was probably easier to justify the change in the zoning at the time (in the 80's) because of that. Not that I agree with it, in fact, I would have opposed the changes in zoning.

Another threat to the Agricultural Land Reserve could be commercial and industrial, as we also clearly see in Richmond and Burnaby along the shores of the Fraser. I think that could also be addressed.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalapeño Chips View Post
Those churches do serve a large community, and, in my opinion, it was probably easier to justify the change in the zoning at the time (in the 80's) because of that. Not that I agree with it, in fact, I would have opposed the changes in zoning.

Another threat to the Agricultural Land Reserve could be commercial and industrial, as we also clearly see in Richmond and Burnaby along the shores of the Fraser. I think that could also be addressed.
Yep, we need to look at agricultural land in a larger context instead of just whats zoned agricultural. We need to ensure our best farmland is used as farmland.

PS: Look at all the churches and religious schools! There's like 20 of them with massive parking lots smack dab on agricultural land.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.15288.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.13864.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.15480.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:31 AM

Misher, while that's all good and well to preserve land for agricultural purposes, it's my assumption they were zoned to their current status years and years ago, and now currently have structures on them and parking that fits their bylaw requirements.

Since that time, it appears that the ARL and cities have had a more agricultural-focused approach to preserve the lands, with the exception of the recent desire to increase the size of the homes on/adjacent to the zoned farm land. While down-zoning private land could be possible, the enactment and cost of such a process on vacant land is one thing, but reversing the process on occupied land that large structures does not seem feasible.

While something that already exits might be "smack dab in the middle of farm land", it is in fact not on farmland, and the use of the adjacent farmland is probably irrelevant... because it's zoned and used as farmland. I don't understand the issue.

Many cities are dealing with the degredation of farmland, but usually in the context of farmland within city limits being converted to large scale suburban development via the city. Here, in Richmond, we're dealing with AG1 land within the ARL that is to be used as farmland and the tools to be used to ensure that. Temple or church land is not in question.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Misher, while that's all good and well to preserve land for agricultural purposes, it's my assumption they were zoned to their current status years and years ago, and now currently have structures on them and parking that fits their bylaw requirements.

Since that time, it appears that the ARL and cities have had a more agricultural-focused approach to preserve the lands, with the exception of the recent desire to increase the size of the homes on/adjacent to the zoned farm land. While down-zoning private land could be possible, the enactment and cost of such a process on vacant land is one thing, but reversing the process on occupied land that large structures does not seem feasible.

While something that already exits might be "smack dab in the middle of farm land", it is in fact not on farmland, and the use of the adjacent farmland is probably irrelevant... because it's zoned and used as farmland. I don't understand the issue.

Many cities are dealing with the degredation of farmland, but usually in the context of farmland within city limits being converted to large scale suburban development via the city. Here, in Richmond, we're dealing with AG1 land within the ARL that is to be used as farmland and the tools to be used to ensure that. Temple or church land is not in question.
True.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
True I got wayyy off topic I was really pissed off. Thanks for calling me out on it. Going to edit my posts. I just hate how people are targeting Chinese as the cause of housing prices instead of looking at the actual statistics, math, and research. If you look at Toronto as a comparable then our housing prices are very similar. Housing prices are high because Vancouver has become a major business center for Western Canada matching Toronto in the east. If you look at this article you'll see that Vancouver Condo's are 28% more than Toronto, but we also charge about double in development costs than Toronto so this works out to a 5-15% price difference http://www.chpc.biz/compare-toronto--vancouver.html Chinese, Indians or Persians buying luxury real estate has very little effect on the low-end condo market, it just makes luxury property sky-high.

Even if housing prices went down 20% the people complaining would still not be able to afford them. Condo prices appear to be rising this year even as luxury housing falls in value.
It is easy for people on both sides to get overly emotional in this type of debate. Always best to sit on it for a bit before commenting, if not we can say mean and / or racist things that we don't actually mean or believe ourselves.

Foreign ownership / money laundering is a real issue in our housing market that should not be ignored, but it is also not the only major issue that needs to be tackled regarding this crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Indeed.

This is not about race, it's about municipal councils' refusal to act and protect the Agricultural Land Reserve and the provincial government having to step in to do so. That land was set aside for agricultural use, not as building sites for megamansions. Nobody is stopping these people from building 10,000 sq/ft homes in Shaughnessy, or buying up two lots in Richmond and consolidating them, they just wanted the cheap building site the agricultural designation provided. For the record I agree with misher that churches etc are the same kind of threat, even though they are zoned differently as GenWhy pointed out. It's clear those demoninations chose that land becuase it gave them a cheap, large building site.
Agree 100% ALR land needs to be far more tightly regulated.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Just to add some perspective as to who owns the megamansions on Agricultural in East Richmond since I keep hearing Chinese. Its mostly split between Chinese, Filipinos, and Indians.
Interestingly there are some areas where people from Hong Kong are the majority.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:46 PM

Wait a minute, so they have two homes in this case?! Does the spec tax cover homes on farmland?

Belcarra couple and corporation sue City of Richmond over farmland mega-mansion row

...Fu Li Yu and Jing Yang of Belcarra applied to build a large home at 8551 No. 5 Road in “early 2017,” according to their claim. On Aug. 30, 2017, they were issued permits on their five-acre property, and by that September, they claim, construction had started and never ceased.

But in October 2018, city inspectors deemed otherwise and cited Bylaw No. 7300, which states permits will be discontinued if construction is suspended for more than 180 days.

A similar fate befell Minster Enterprises, whose principal is Tie Jun Li. Minster’s permits were applied for in March 2017 but were cancelled by the city in September 2018 after the city claimed that no construction had taken place within 180 days....

https://www.vancourier.com/belcarra-...row-1.23768167

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Just to add some perspective as to who owns the megamansions on Agricultural in East Richmond since I keep hearing Chinese. Its mostly split between Chinese, Filipinos, and Indians.
Interestingly there are some areas where people from Hong Kong are the majority.

UK owns Stanley Park and other "Crown Lands"?

I guess Canada never got its independence from the UK.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
UK owns Stanley Park and other "Crown Lands"?

I guess Canada never got its independence from the UK.
Probably a few houses nearby or something? The land is owned by the federal government and leased out. However the dominion were the ones who originally leased out the land and the government bought out the homeowners so it’s vaguely possible there may still be a British owned place somewhere in it. Or possible the naval base?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy