HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:31 PM

"buu buut but, the Chinese are buying up all the condos on the east side too! I went to a showing and I was the only White person theere!!" -- Whatnext, probably

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
You're not allowed to consume back yard chickens in Vancouver FYI. They're just for eggs, not meat.
Thats also like saying its illegal to use drugs in public but you see people doing it all day long.

Of course all the chickens get eaten after a year of laying eggs. WHere do you think home made chicken soup comes from

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerminalCity View Post
Unbelievable that the local government didn't foresee this pandemic. Guess S&P and Moody's were both hoodwinked when they offered up Aaa ratings to the City. Perhaps if Council had been more aggressive about getting luxury brands in malls this could've been okay....
what does $5000 handbags have to do with taxes collected

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
This is a a bit of dead horse.

Its pretty obvious the market here is bifurcated and has been for a long time.
The last couple years of a downturn, and the rebound that started last summer proved this beyond doubt.

What happens to WestSide SFH, as it turns out, has little to do with $500k condos on the East Side.

Different buyers. Different markets. Same city.
One totally effects the other. The article noted "According to findings from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CHMC), 11% of metro Vancouver condos are owned by a non-resident."

We know that 5% is enought to move the market, so buyers willing to pay a premium for a safe space to park money will drag prices up throughout Metro. Even if the majority of those condos are downtown, the price inflation pushes previous downtown buyers out to the East Side, to Burnaby etc where they set off the cycle there. Look no further than the 1000 blockof Barclay Street, where resonably affordable condos and rentals were snapped up for a ridiculous price by developers, because they knew they could find foreign buyers for their expensive new units.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
"buu buut but, the Chinese are buying up all the condos on the east side too! I went to a showing and I was the only White person theere!!" -- Whatnext, probably
Just because they look asian does not mean they are. Vancouver has a huge population of Asian Canadians. Many came in the 90's and are very successful Canadians.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Just because they look asian does not mean they are. Vancouver has a huge population of Asian Canadians. Many came in the 90's and are very successful Canadians.
Read my post again, I'm in 100% agreement with you there. But I think Whatnext missed the memo.

Also, not all of us just arrived in the 90s. My family's been here since the early 60s and more than a few others have been here since the 1800s.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Also the 90s as in the 1890s.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
what does $5000 handbags have to do with taxes collected
Oh not a thing. Just referring to Vin's predilection for malls as the peak of modern urbanism

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I do wonder how many Filipinos, Japanese, Koreans, and SE Asians are mistaken for Chinese.

The Philippines is Canada's #1 source of immigration. Yet the only two ethnicities that get discussed in the housing context are Chinese and Indians.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Read my post again, I'm in 100% agreement with you there. But I think Whatnext missed the memo.

Also, not all of us just arrived in the 90s. My family's been here since the early 60s and more than a few others have been here since the 1800s.
Seventies and Eighties too, though not in big waves.

I will point out that it's very easy these days to gain perm res status and then spend the next ten years on the other side of the pond, but we've already got the EHT for that.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 8:40 AM

It feels like every other day you read something about it being a good time to get into the real estate game in Vancouver. I wouldn't mind if housing prices go down but more worried about everything else that's going on right now....

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 12:01 AM
BANNED

RBC is predicting the market will pickup in June per its April 15th update. Likely a combination of factors behind this the largest being low interest rates (likely to get much lower should mortgage defaults not rise significantly) and the fact that Canada seems to be on schedule to recover swiftly from this virus. Of course government stimulus flooding the economy helps a lot. In the end this has mostly impacted the service industry and as someone on this forum pointed out they rarely buy RE anyway. The wealthy will generally do ok due to the 40k loan and 75% wage subsidy. Employment recovery will be a huge factor.

Quote:
“The longer unemployment stays high, the slower the housing market recovery will be. Our current view is the recovery will stretch into 2021 in most markets,” Hogue noted.

Hogue also said that the chances of a significant drop in prices are “still low”.

“Despite the rough patch ahead, we expect property values to generally hold up,” Hogue stated.

According to Hogue, the tight supply of housing in major markets will “provide some cushion against a correction”.
https://www.straight.com/news/summer...t-robert-hogue

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
RBC is predicting the market will pickup in June per its April 15th update. Likely a combination of factors behind this the largest being low interest rates (likely to get much lower should mortgage defaults not rise significantly) and the fact that Canada seems to be on schedule to recover swiftly from this virus. Of course government stimulus flooding the economy helps a lot. In the end this has mostly impacted the service industry and as someone on this forum pointed out they rarely buy RE anyway. The wealthy will generally do ok due to the 40k loan and 75% wage subsidy. Employment recovery will be a huge factor.
Nobody has any clue what will happen. Any predictions need to be taken with a ton of salt.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerminalCity View Post
Oh not a thing. Just referring to Vin's predilection for malls as the peak of modern urbanism
Yes, indeed. "Modern urbanism" from the 1800s.

https://www.europeanbestdestinations...ers-in-europe/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:09 PM

COVID-19 crisis set to hammer Metro Vancouver’s housing prices

Quote:
The official, optimistic message from the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver at first sounds plausible.

The REBGV maintains with confidence that “pent-up demand” for housing, combined with low interest rates, will re-energize Metro Vancouver’s dormant real estate market once the COVID-19 lockdown ends and real life again kicks in.

But the counter-arguments are almost too numerous to mention. Coronavirus shutdowns are hammering the factors that most fuel housing prices in Canada: Wages, household debt and migration-based population growth.

The real-estate industry, including construction, normally makes up Canada’s largest sector, accounting for 15 per cent of economic output. And it’s almost inconceivable real-estate values will not be slammed by the multitudinous ways the lockdown has weakened the finances of both Canadians and the trans-national migrants who invest in housing in Vancouver, Toronto and Victoria. Australia is already providing early-warning signs.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Nobody has any clue what will happen. Any predictions need to be taken with a ton of salt.
Yep. Should things go well prices should go up in Q4 of 2020 although what the bottom is they are rising from is debated. Between then and now we could see a decrease, possibly a significant one.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 5:12 PM

Nothing that we didn't already know but still interesting nonetheless:

How Singapore Solved Housing

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:03 PM
BANNED

An interesting graph. Since the average person cannot afford to buy a house I prefer to look at rent as the measure of affordability. Interestingly enough unsheltered homeless seem to have skyrocketed after the NDP but I assume there's a reason that's unrelated.

Btw the article discusses Vancouver's plan to speed up approvals signifigantly.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...gy-coronavirus

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:07 PM

Looks like about 1,100 sales in April for REBGV, the lowest April number on record. Listings are similarly dropping off a cliff - 60% lower than a year ago.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Looks like about 1,100 sales in April for REBGV, the lowest April number on record. Listings are similarly dropping off a cliff - 60% lower than a year ago.
And wouldn't many of those sales have actually been made in March, and only closed in April? Feel sorry for those buyers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy