HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:13 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

They look to be on the same side of the street, but Bjarke's is recessed further back.

I can't tell wich one would be located further towards DT.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
They look to be on the same side of the street, but Bjarke's is recessed further back.

I can't tell wich one would be located further towards DT.

262 is a little further south. Someone should do a rendering with both towers (and the rest of the towers under construction there).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:06 PM

Dear God! Twin 800+ ft blank, western facing walls! This is horrible. I hope it isnt final. If it is, BIG swings and misses again. This looks like an old apartment block had a bastard child with a modern office tower.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:31 PM

Why do people have a problem with blank walls? I don't get it.

The vast majority of buildings have blank walls, and even those that don't are just using fakery to cover the internal usages.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:52 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

^^
Trying not to be contrarian here; but are you talking "vast majority of buildings over a height sufficient for every skyline viewer to see it"?

It's not the necessity of a blank wall that triggers me; but rather how it's treated aesthetically...

...And hence, my lament over SkyHouse. I've not seen one photo of that building's Madison Ave. profile that shows what looks to me like naked concrete in any remotely flattering manner. 5 Beekman doesn't hold a candle to that.

With this tower, I don't see a blank wall anywhere. It looks like a moderately detailed glass curtain wall...or perhaps one of two kinds. We need more details.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 11:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is kinda bad. Not in tune with the area. Not worthy to be in such a prominent location, so close to the ESB.

Stick it somewhere in LIC or in the lower 40's near Times Square, but not in this location.

Unfortunately, given the area, this will stand out, and thats the problem. If it where somewhere else, it could at least be masked or hidden among its peers.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:12 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This is kinda bad. Not in tune with the area. Not worthy to be in such a prominent location, so close to the ESB.

Stick it somewhere in LIC or in the lower 40's near Times Square, but not in this location.

Unfortunately, given the area, this will stand out, and thats the problem. If it where somewhere else, it could at least be masked or hidden among its peers.
Yes. Other than height, I don't see anything remarkable here especially considering the loss of Bancroft and that BIG is the architect.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:39 AM

Is it just me, or is BIG getting lamer and lamer with each passing project?

All sizzle, no steak?

Can we just have the Bancroft Building back, please? This pretender replacement doesn't even wipe the a$$ of the Bancroft Building.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer34 View Post

Can we just have the Bancroft Building back, please? This pretender replacement doesn't even wipe the a$$ of the Bancroft Building.
Bancroft Building was a boring dime-a-dozen background structure. Won't hold a candle to an 850-ft. Ingels tower.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Bancroft Building was a boring dime-a-dozen background structure. Won't hold a candle to an 850-ft. Ingels tower.
Okay but are you actually insane? The Bancroft Building was glorious.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 4:28 PM
Ω

A 500+ ft blind wall directly in front of the Empire State Building? No way.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Stupefying

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:42 PM

Dead as a doornail :

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 4:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Demo is occurring on the adjacent parcels (existing low rise structures).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 4:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Feldman’s HFZ adds to NoMad assemblage with $30M buy: Ziel Feldman planning 600K sf office tower on site, sources say

Quote:
Ziel Feldman’s HFZ Capital Group picked up a NoMad property for $30 million, adding another piece to an assemblage where sources say the developer is planning a nearly 600,000-square-foot office building designed by Bjarke Ingels.

HFZ bought two lots at 20-22 West 30th Street from investor Henry Chen for $29.8 million, property records filed with the city Thursday show. A representative for the developer could not be immediately reached.

A pair of five-story buildings spanning roughly 20,000 square feet sits on the two properties, but if HFZ were to demolish the structures, the lots would hold roughly 50,000 square feet of development rights.

The properties are most likely part of an assemblage Feldman’s company is putting together on the block. At the same time HFZ purchased the properties, Canadian lender Otera Capital Investmentsthe refinanced eight of the developers properties on the block and added new debt to the tune of $147.7 million.

HFZ paid $75.43 million in 2013 to buy a quartet of properties from the Collegiate Reformed Protestant Dutch Church. The developer filed plans in October with the city Department of Buildings to construct a 34-story, 301,167-square-foot office building on the site with an address at 3 West 29th Street.
========================
TRD

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:58 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Oppix56

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 12:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Site Work Commences For Bjarke Ingels-Designed “29th & 5th” At 3 West 29th Street In NoMad, Manhattan

Quote:
Known simply as “29th & 5th,” the site for BIG’s proposed NoMad skyscraper is located at 3 West 29th Street, several blocks south of the Empire State Building, in Midtown Manhattan. The future office tower will eventually rise 34 stories and 551 feet tall, making it stand out amongst the local vicinity. Covering 300,000 square feet, it incorporates a mix of a glass curtain wall on the eastern facade with staggered open terraces for workers to step out and see the views of the skyline. HFZ Capital Group is the developer of the upcoming project.

Looking at the site, three drilling rig trucks have been spotted testing the land on the southern end of the property. Excavation is likely to begin once this stage of preparation is complete. The project sits between Fifth and Sixth Avenue, and stretches the width from West 28th Street to West 29th Street.

Sitting on opposite sides facing West 28th Street are the Marble Collegiate Church and the Gilsey House. HFZ had to purchase air rights from both properties, and both landmarked buildings were a critical aspect for the height of 29th & 5th.

Excavation and foundation work for BIG’s Midtown tower should happen sometime in the first half of 2019. Its presence among the skyline would be most notable for the Nomad neighborhood, as the bulk of skyscrapers are currently north of the Empire State Building. Other tall towers near 3 West 29th Street include 45 East 22nd Street designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox, One Madison designed by Cetraruddy, the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower, and two newcomers at 15 East 30th Street and 277 Fifth Avenue.
======================
NYY

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 12:07 AM
Walk taker

Such a truly mediocre design for such an iconic part of town. Why, Bjarke...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:53 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its a stain on the image of the ESB being so close. This is not good work at all. This is the same group (BIG) that designed the Spiral or Via 57 West. Not impressed at this.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:34 PM
Ω

I love BIG's Pyramid.
I do wish some more thought was put into this design. I'm actually kind of surprised; it's like Bjarke phoned it in. I'm not the biggest fan of The Spiral either but at least it is conceptually interesting.

The balconies are interesting but they look a Moshe Safdie idea from the late 60s. Nothing innovative.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction