HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 5:51 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Greater LA's Metrolink commuter rail and Amtrak share a station that's literally right on the beach and at the foot of San Clemente Pier, in San Clemente (Orange County). It's a nice train ride there, quite convenient.

Pinterest
Very cool. I think this might be the closest rail stop I've seen to the beach yet, as it's literally right on the beach.

Santa Cruz has something similar but it's not a commuter line. It's just a tourist railroad attraction that connects with the Santa Cruz mountains with only 3 round trips a day.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
For LA's Metro Rail, the only one closest to a bona fide beach is the Downtown Santa Monica Station, which is some blocks from the beach and Santa Monica Pier.

Greater LA's Metrolink commuter rail and Amtrak share a station that's literally right on the beach and at the foot of San Clemente Pier, in San Clemente (Orange County). It's a nice train ride there, quite convenient.
The San Clemente stop is a fun one while you're on the beach watching Amtrak and MetroRail come in.

The Coaster parallels the beach from Oceanside all the way to Santa Fe Depot. Solana Beach, Oceanside, Carlsbad Village, Poinsettia, Encinitas stops are all 3 to 4 blocks from the beach and at times the rail is the closest thing to the ocean front in North County.

San Diego used to have trolley's on the beach before they tore the rails up. There has been some talk of bringing the trolley back to the beach area, Sea World, Mission Bay, Mission Beach area.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine living in a land-locked state.
The term "landlocked" is so negative - it insinuates that people are somehow being mentally and viscerally suffocated by being unable to look at saltwater.

Hey, let's drive 15 hours to go look at a bunch of saltwater.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The term "landlocked" is so negative - it insinuates that people are somehow being mentally and viscerally suffocated by being unable to look at saltwater.

Landlocked isn't negative at all. Look at Austria. Nothing I find negative about that country. It's quite beautiful.

Sounds like you're allowing yourself to be unnecessarily annoyed.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:

And you and another person here is always negative about California for some reason. Bias here goes both ways, don't pretend it doesn't.

"Don't knock or be the negative about the midwest"
"Btw, California sucks".

I lived in the midwest for 10 years. I don't go out of my way to make these comments.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Landlocked isn't negative at all. Look at Austria. Nothing I find negative about that country. It's quite beautiful.

Sounds like you're allowing yourself to be unnecessarily annoyed.
It's a passive agressive thing they do. It's annoying to read.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Very cool. I think this might be the closest rail stop I've seen to the beach yet, as it's literally right on the beach.
Taking Metrolink to San Clemente Pier is nice. You don't have to worry about traffic. And because it's commuter rail, the trains are nicer... more comfortable seats, 2 levels, restrooms on the train...

And then you get off the train and SHAZAM! You're at the pier, the beach, restaurants... and no looking for parking. Quite nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
The San Clemente stop is a fun one while you're on the beach watching Amtrak and MetroRail come in.

The Coaster parallels the beach from Oceanside all the way to Santa Fe Depot. Solana Beach, Oceanside, Carlsbad Village, Poinsettia, Encinitas stops are all 3 to 4 blocks from the beach and at times the rail is the closest thing to the ocean front in North County.
Yes; I think it was the year before last, but my partner and I did a little road trip stopping in each town along North County. Indeed, the rail line was not far from the beach at all.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:31 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Boston also has heavy rail stops right on the beach:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4072...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:34 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:

Yeah, I suppose if you're a surfer or need to swim in the ocean often then you couldn't live in a landlocked state. I can take or leave the ocean since I would rather be in the mountains anyway. In LA the ocean is nice because it keeps things pleasant, but I rarely go to or in the water there. In SF the beach is windy and cold often, but I do like the occasional walk at ft funston, but I would not miss the ocean if I lived in a landlocked state and actually kind of do since my tahoe home is in NV.

As far as this article... It is the same bullshit. Regardless, I would applaud a population leveling off or even if the population reduction by a couple million people.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:07 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Yeah, I suppose if you're a surfer or need to swim in the ocean often then you couldn't live in a landlocked state. I can take or leave the ocean since I would rather be in the mountains anyway. In LA the ocean is nice because it keeps things pleasant, but I rarely go to or in the water there. In SF the beach is windy and cold often, but I do like the occasional walk at ft funston, but I would not miss the ocean if I lived in a landlocked state and actually kind of do since my tahoe home is in NV.

As far as this article... It is the same bullshit. Regardless, I would applaud a population leveling off or even if the population reduction by a couple million people.
This always seems to happen; an article claims CA population is shrinking and then it's not.... People in other states get really excited till it's disproven, then get all furious we aren't losing population. I personally don't mind if other states gain or lose people, but I guess in a constantly growing state that's gonna happen?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:15 PM

I doubt anybody's moving to California for the beaches. Unless you're a surfer, California's beaches aren't very appealing (rough waves, cold af, often rocky/gravelly).

People move to California for the Mediterranean climate and the 70s year-round weather with no humidity and lots of sunshine.

If you all want is beaches to "hear the waves," you don't need to pay $1m for that privilege. This one-bedroom condo in Virginia Beach is $205k:

A 2-bedroom condo in the Outer Banks piece of Virginia Beach is $380k:

Of course, Virginia doesn't have endless sunshine. But if you want wave sounds, they're definitely there. And you can actually swim in Virginia Beach (the massive Boardwalk stretch) for much of the Summer.

I can only imagine how much cheaper someplace like Myrtle Beach, Pensacola, or Mobile must be. For beaches, California just can't compete.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:19 PM

Again, it's not for the "beach". And the photo above, what exactly is around that? Can you walk to anything?

It's the Socal beach lifestyle, which is different than Virginia or North Carolina etc. I've been to Virgina Beach. It's not that interesting. Neither is most of Florida, South Carolina etc. Dated condos, motels, generic hotels, not really walkable. Then you have the humid weather, which is just trash.

I have family in Duck North Carolina. It's fine. But if it were in California, I don't think it'd get alot of attention from residents here.

On top of this, the socal beach towns are near huge employment centers, unlike most of the east coast. So you can live next to the beach and your job. That's pretty tempting to alot of people.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I doubt anybody's moving to California for the beaches. Unless you're a surfer, California's beaches aren't very appealing (rough waves, cold af, often rocky/gravelly).

People move to California for the Mediterranean climate and the 70s year-round weather with no humidity and lots of sunshine.
I agree. California beaches are nice to look at, but are among my least favorite for having a "beach day" of anywhere I've been. South Florida has better beaches (as does most of the east coast), but southern California has much better scenery.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Again, it's not for the "beach"

It's the Socal beach lifestyle, which is different than Virginia or North Carolina etc. I've been to Virgina Beach. It's not that interesting. Neither is most of Florida, South Carolina etc. Dated condos, motels, hotels, not really walkable.
You can easily find beach lifestyle cities for much cheaper in the Northeast (Cape Charles, Ocean City, Rehoboth Beach, Fire Island, most of the Jersey Shore) than Socal, with the same tacky pier, ferris wheel, funnel cake, boardwalk, tattoo parlors crap you find in California even.

And actually swimmable in the summer.

And without violent mentally ill homeless and drug zombies that have taken over many California beaches (Atlantic City, NJ, being the exception)

Cape May, NJ, and Santa Monica, for example, have the same home prices, but the former has 600 Victorian buildings, spotless streets, state parks all around, open-air markets, great seafood, feels very safe, even has World War II batteries.

California's strength is the much better weather, very mild winters and the mountains/escarpments/hills that face many of the beaches (Malibu, La Jolla, Black's Beach, Pacific Coast Highway, etc.) Ironically, none of those have the "casual beach lifestyle" but more of a posh Hollywood retreat vibe. For beach lifestyle, I think Florida runs laps over California.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:30 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I agree. California beaches are nice to look at, but are among my least favorite for having a "beach day" of anywhere I've been. South Florida has better beaches (as does most of the east coast), but southern California has much better scenery.
No love for Nor Cal scenery like Mendo?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:32 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Mendocino beaches are beautiful but far too rugged for your typical beach trip that most people envision. People want to lay on soft, warm sand, not cold, hard glass.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
The entire California coast is mostly beautiful. The "ugliest" part of it is probably everything south of the Pacific Palisades down to the Mexican border, yet it is still pretty good looking. Scenery wise, the Pacific coast looks much better than the Atlantic coast. But beautiful scenery doesn't necessarily make a great beach experience.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
You can easily find beach lifestyle cities for much cheaper in the Northeast (Cape Charles, Ocean City, Rehoboth Beach, Fire Island, most of the Jersey Shore) than Socal, with the same tacky pier, ferris wheel, funnel cake, boardwalk, tattoo parlors crap you find in California even.

And actually swimmable in the summer.

And without violent mentally ill homeless and drug zombies that have taken over many California beaches (Atlantic City, NJ, being the exception)

Cape May, NJ, and Santa Monica, for example, have the same home prices, but the former has 600 Victorian buildings, spotless streets, state parks all around, open-air markets, great seafood, feels very safe, even has World War II batteries.

California's strength is the much better weather, very mild winters and the mountains/escarpments/hills that face many of the beaches (Malibu, La Jolla, Black's Beach, Pacific Coast Highway, etc.) Ironically, none of those have the "casual beach lifestyle" but more of a posh Hollywood retreat vibe. For beach lifestyle, I think Florida runs laps over California.
Don't find the Florida towns as interesting. At some point, people get bored of the beach and want to do other things. Florida beach towns aren't as walkable.

I've been to Ocean City, Reboth etc. Not the same at all. Those places are boring and quiet in comparison. Oh and they're completely dead most of the year. Like, nothing going on. I've been to Ocean City in early October. Ghost town, indeed.

The homeless zombies? Lmao. Where? I was just in Santa Monica, nice try.
Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Malibu, Manthattan, Hermosa, all of Orange County, etc. etc etc
Never had a problem with that. You're lying.

The only place that has that problem is Venice on the boardwalk and that's cleared up.
Abbot Kinney Blvd (a few blocks away) completely shits on any town you just named for shopping/restaurants etc.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
For the perfect beach day, including swimming I'd go:

1. Hawaii
2. Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands
3. Florida Keys/Key West
4. Southwest Florida (anywhere from Clearwater down to Naples)
5. Florida/Alabama Panhandle
6. Jersey Shore
7. South Florida (Space Coast to Biscayne NP)
8. Southern Delaware/Maryland
9. Long Island, incl. NYC
10. Northeast Florida

Pretty, but hard to swim in:
- Alaska
- California
- New England
- Oregon
- Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Washington

Not pretty, and hard to swim in:
- Georgia/South Carolina (unimpressed with both, though Charleston/Savannah were gorgeous)
- Louisiana
- Mississippi
- Texas (Galveston/South Padre Island)

This also excludes the Great Lakes, which can be fabulous for swimming. Went swimming at Indiana Dunes National Park in 2020 and it was glorious. People don't realize how good it feels not to be swallowing saltwater every minute!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Don't find the Florida towns as interesting. At some point, people get bored of the beach and want to do other things. Florida beach towns aren't as walkable.

I've been to Ocean City, Reboth etc. Not the same at all. Those places are boring and quiet in comparison. Oh and they're completely dead most of the year. Like, nothing going on. I've been to Ocean City in early October. Zombies indeed.

The homeless zombies? Lmao. Where? I was just in Santa Monica, nice try.
Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Malibu, Manthattan, Hermosa, all of Orange County, etc. etc etc
Never had a problem with that. You're lying.
It's even news in France, yet Californians aren't aware their beaches are full of homeless?

Video Link

How can you literally even miss seeing this:

Video Link

Video Link

Even the locals are pissed off: https://abc7.com/venice-homeless-boa...ings/10724596/

I agree though that Orange County beaches are well-maintained, at least of the ones I've been to (Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions