HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
I have been using the new nikon D7000 lately and one thing that's left me puzzled is why after editing a shot (using the software that came with the camera) the file becomes about one third of the size of the orignal.... ie a 6mb photo not edited turns into a 2mb edited (mostly just sharpening and minor exposure adjustments no cropping) anyone have an answer?
If you are editing a JPEG (and I assume you are, judging from the 6mb size), the file becomes recompressed every time you resave it and you lose detail. The JPEG compression setting must be very high for it to be compress by 1/3 like that. You need to change the compression setting to the lowest compression or highest quality if you want to avoid loss of detail. Usually when you save JPEG it gives you some sort of option.

And I hope you saving as copy of original file and not overwriting the original...

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 2:16 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
If you are editing a JPEG (and I assume you are, judging from the 6mb size), the file becomes recompressed every time you resave it and you lose detail. The JPEG compression setting must be very high for it to be compress by 1/3 like that. You need to change the compression setting to the lowest compression or highest quality if you want to avoid loss of detail. Usually when you save JPEG it gives you some sort of option.

And I hope you saving as copy of original file and not overwriting the original...
This is why I like to use photoshop for my edits. It saves a copy of the file to make the edits and does not automatically overwrite the original. This way I can always go back and retweek them if i want.

My Book

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 5:07 PM

My art show was a resounding success. I think I sold close to half the photos, which gives me more than enough money to buy a new lens, or better yet, even a new camera. Feels like a dream, almost.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 4:16 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
My art show was a resounding success. I think I sold close to half the photos, which gives me more than enough money to buy a new lens, or better yet, even a new camera. Feels like a dream, almost.
cool yo.

Get a NEW TAMRON 28-75MM F2.8 XR Di FOR CANON DSLR

good midrange zoom with fixed f2.8. It will be real handy for lots of stuff and it would perfectly compliment your 10-24mm.

My Book

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
cool yo.

good midrange zoom with fixed f2.8. It will be real handy for lots of stuff and it would perfectly compliment your 10-24mm.
If anything, I'll get the 18-200mm I've had my eyes set on for a while. That, or maybe take a closer look at the D90. From what I've seen, it makes for some nice, sharp photos.

I feel like I should add one more thing, although I hate bragging, that is definitely worth mentioning: one of my photos won my district's Congressional Art Honor Award. It's going to be hung for a year in the rotunda of the United States Capitol, and there's a special ceremony or lunch or something at the White House for the 435 winners across the country. If any of you travel to DC and see it, let me know: I'm still in shock I won.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 10:43 PM
So very tired...

^ Nice work!

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
That, or maybe take a closer look at the D90. From what I've seen, it makes for some nice, sharp photos.
You should be able to get a good deal on one as Nikon just discontinued the model.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 2:21 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
If anything, I'll get the 18-200mm I've had my eyes set on for a while. That, or maybe take a closer look at the D90. From what I've seen, it makes for some nice, sharp photos.

I feel like I should add one more thing, although I hate bragging, that is definitely worth mentioning: one of my photos won my district's Congressional Art Honor Award. It's going to be hung for a year in the rotunda of the United States Capitol, and there's a special ceremony or lunch or something at the White House for the 435 winners across the country. If any of you travel to DC and see it, let me know: I'm still in shock I won.
COOL on your pic. Thats awesome. You should post the image.

AS far as the lens. The 18-200 is a junk lens. I hate variable rate aperture lens. The fixed is a better way to go because you can control everything about the condition of your shot better. Id go for a new body before i bought that junky lens. But good lens with a cheap motor will get you further then a nice motor with cheap lens. Its all about the glass.

My Book

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 3:57 AM

Here's the winning shot:

After the Storm HDR 2 by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

I'm still doing my research for the camera gear. I read a lot of mixed reviews about the Tamron 10-24 I bought, and so far, I've had a blast with it.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:12 AM
Honored Member

Spectacular shot! Congratulations.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 5:02 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Congrats. Though the processing is way to extreme for my likings.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 5:08 AM
tilted & shifted

^I agree. Too much HDR. ThatDarnSacrementan - You tend to take really good photos. They just get effed up via the HDR processing. Clouds shouldn't have that blackened, dirty underside to them.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 6:02 PM

I've moved away from HDR for the time being. It's just inconvenient to lug all of the necessary equipment around.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:40 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
I've moved away from HDR for the time being. It's just inconvenient to lug all of the necessary equipment around.
Grasshopper, head the words of the master.....

My Book

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:14 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
cool yo.

I bought this with Nikon mount for use with the D700, and I'm very pleased with it. It's a handy length for walk-around city photography and produces clear, sharp images. I paid ~$400 plus tax new at the local camera shop near my house, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 5:47 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pence View Post
I bought this with Nikon mount for use with the D700, and I'm very pleased with it. It's a handy length for walk-around city photography and produces clear, sharp images. I paid ~$400 plus tax new at the local camera shop near my house, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance.
everything ive seen with the tamron lens is top notch for the price. Plus it is a far superior lens 18-200 tds is coveting. Not saying a 18-200 doesnt have its advantages. but i think the knock on quality would overshadow any advantage it would offer in range.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 8:40 PM

So much for my new camera

Have you ever taken a picture that would have been great if only it were in focus? Of course you have. So have we, countless times. But those days may soon be past all of us with the introduction of Lytro, an entirely new kind of camera that allows users to completely change the focus of a picture after the shutter clicks. And, according to AllThingsD, this next-generation camera will be available before the end of the year.
click for full story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...ographyforever

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:25 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
So much for my new camera

Have you ever taken a picture that would have been great if only it were in focus? Of course you have. So have we, countless times. But those days may soon be past all of us with the introduction of Lytro, an entirely new kind of camera that allows users to completely change the focus of a picture after the shutter clicks. And, according to AllThingsD, this next-generation camera will be available before the end of the year.
click for full story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...ographyforever
I like this!!!! bet it cost a fortune but man would this be sweet. you couldnt screw it up with human error. AMAZING!!!!

My Book

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 10:53 PM
So very tired...

^ Sounds to me like these new cars that park themselves...all it will result in is shittier drivers, er, photographers

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 6:52 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
^ Sounds to me like these new cars that park themselves...all it will result in is shittier drivers, er, photographers
possibly, but it could be awesome. I would love to play with one and find out for myself.

My Book

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography