HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 6:06 PM
keep the good times going

I'd love that too, but there's a fire escape stairwell in between the skywalk to TNS and the exterior of Cityplace... I guess they could open up the spaces beside it?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 7:14 PM
BANNED

^ the entire thing is a disaster... stairwell exit at the main corner, blank walls and doors along hargrave and graham... thanks to our benevolent billionaires who, surprise, are more interested in profit rather than building our city.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 7:15 PM
BANNED

same crew responsible for the centrepoint disaster along Hargrave and Ellice.. maybe we should stop trusting people just because they have lots of money

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 9:12 PM

^^I guess I'm hopelessly out of touch, but to me a "disaster" is when someone loses their life, not when a building doesn't meet my particular aesthetic taste.

Of course, people are free to like or dislike whatever they want. Personally I kind of like Centrepoint. Certainly a huge improvement over what was there before, and it makes the area across from the arena look kind of new and vital to me. Just my personally taste, of course.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 10:09 PM

Centrepoint is great except for the parkade, even if the Alt is a little drab.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:42 PM

The Centrepoint corner at Donald and Portage is great.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ the entire thing is a disaster... stairwell exit at the main corner, blank walls and doors along hargrave and graham... thanks to our benevolent billionaires who, surprise, are more interested in profit rather than building our city.
So the fact said billionaires brought the nhl back to winnipeg, have spent im sure well over a billion in building new hotelss and towers , that to you they are not investing in our city.

To me since said billionaires are from here and are self made, they chose to take the risk of the nhl, the risk of the hotel, the risk of two new towers, the risk of an arena. Where they could have taken their billions to a sure thing city.

My guess is you just dont like anyone rich period. To be upset over a silly minor issue like this over having all the above.......

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
When I called out the horrible design when it first became public people didn't really want to hear it as they were getting some nice, new tall buildings. A solution would have been to change the Graham building so it was more a blank wall along Carlton. That would have blocked the RWBC student residence from the plaza some and provided a nice opening on the Graham side near Tavern United and the arena. For things like the white out parties they could then close down Graham between Carlton and "White Out Way" and have the street party basically wrap around the arena instead of spilling onto Smith. That sadly didn't happen though so we will continue to shut down two major cross downtown routes every time there is a major event like the playoffs at the arena.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 5:41 PM

Except the whiteout parties will be in the square and surrounding streets. Freeing up the Donald St freeway for those precious vehicle travels.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 5:48 PM

In the future it will likely be graham and Carlton that get closed during the street parties.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
same crew responsible for the centrepoint disaster along Hargrave and Ellice.. maybe we should stop trusting people just because they have lots of money
Lol, not this bullshit again.

1. Building megaplexes like these not only cost million over millions, but include unbelievable risk. You bet they want profit, and they should. If this would have been less profitable, they would have found something more profitable elsewhere and done something there.

2. The idea that they owe the city, or you, whatever you feel like is hysterical and reeks of entitlement.

3. Who said they need your trust, or if they cared? If they should? If it's their land, it complies with civic planning wishes and needs, and they pay their taxes, and especially if their offering adds to the Winnipeg experience, you can sit down with your "trust".

4. Centre point has been a successful project, and Ellice isn't yet a desirable economic corridor. You can't demand someone to take a huge risk and expect joyful compliance.

Nobody on this site barring very few exeptions are doing any "city building"... we're just wacking away at keyboards. Not like we're "helping", assuming that the purpose of development is limited to "helping the city" at the expense of people who have earned a lot of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Centrepoint is great except for the parkade, even if the Alt is a little drab.
I think I'm definitely in the minority, but that parkade has won awards and we just keep complaining about it... I don't mind it. I don't however frequent these parkade award galas. I'm not THAT fun.

I also don't mind the Alt. needs a bit more windows, but it's a very singular building, and not in a "rusted metal on osborne" kinda way.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:16 PM

I agree with most your points Wolf except the Ellice thing. There were lots of businesses they moved on Hargraves that were doing well. Replacing those would probably have worked out well. Now, because they’ve left a single CRU on Hargrave, no one wants to lease it because they’d be in the middle of an empty street. Bet that would be leased by now if there was opportunity for other businesses to join them. Now they sealed that part of Hargrave & Ellice’s Fate.

Also, what awards did the parkade win? Wasn’t the original design up for something, but then they built something completely different? I could possibly make piece with the parkade if they would have put the yellow/white cladding strips all over to make it into an interesting “art” piece and mask the parkade a bit. But they just did it on half the first floor, and now it looks awful

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:19 PM
BANNED

1. they should build there megaplexes somewhere else, yes. the city and province assume almost all risks that True North and it's affiliates take on. you know how many jobs would be lost if they left again? do you know how many trade workers who wouldn't be able to keep their houses if the project isn't successful and they don't get paid? do you know what % of his money that Chipman would lose? do you understand how insignificant that is? not to mention mega plexes like these are terrible for livable urban spaces.

2. despite people who still think private property is a comprehensible idea, cities and the spaces that inhabit them are very much public. maybe not publicly accessible, but people have to see them everyday. they have to deal with the construction related to buildings. they have to deal with traffic related to buildings. they have to deal with the way that public interacts with the city. they have to deal with the materials being taken from the environment and the effect that has on the air. urban heat islands. these aren't imaginary things, they're real and people have to deal with them every day.

3. because they're wrong and bad people and are actively harming people with their ideas.

4. who has it been successful for? if one person or one company is successful, that doesn't make the project successful. are the people who lost their businesses for the parkade successful? is it a success to use a massive piece of property in what should be one our most desirable areas to park cars? that's a success?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:28 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
1. they should build there megaplexes somewhere else, yes. the city and province assume almost all risks that True North and it's affiliates take on. you know how many jobs would be lost if they left again? do you know how many trade workers who wouldn't be able to keep their houses if the project isn't successful and they don't get paid? do you know what % of his money that Chipman would lose? do you understand how insignificant that is? not to mention mega plexes like these are terrible for livable urban spaces.

2. despite people who still think private property is a comprehensible idea, cities and the spaces that inhabit them are very much public. maybe not publicly accessible, but people have to see them everyday. they have to deal with the construction related to buildings. they have to deal with traffic related to buildings. they have to deal with the way that public interacts with the city. they have to deal with the materials being taken from the environment and the effect that has on the air. urban heat islands. these aren't imaginary things, they're real and people have to deal with them every day.

3. because they're wrong and bad people and are actively harming people with their ideas.

4. who has it been successful for? if one person or one company is successful, that doesn't make the project successful. are the people who lost their businesses for the parkade successful? is it a success to use a massive piece of property in what should be one our most desirable areas to park cars? that's a success?
I nominate you to take on all the risk for all future development projects in Winnipeg.

Take a hike man
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:39 PM
BANNED

I am? if these projects fail/winnipeg's economy fails, I'm stuck here and don't have huge amounts of capital to move away or insulate myself like wealthy people can.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Nobody on this site barring very few exeptions are doing any "city building"... we're just wacking away at keyboards. Not like we're "helping", assuming that the purpose of development is limited to "helping the city" at the expense of people who have earned a lot of money.
Not just keyboards

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Not just keyboards

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:31 PM
BANNED

adults making masturbation jokes is some dark shit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:40 PM

Next

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
This is some of the most bizarre logic I have ever witnessed. They shouldn't invest in projects in Winnipeg, because all the jobs created by said investment could be lost again? So the risk is that the jobs that wouldn't have existed otherwise might disappear? That's like an unemployed guy walking out of a job interview and saying "thanks for the job offer, but I simply can't accept because if I ever got fired I would be out of work."

Quote:
I am? if these projects fail/winnipeg's economy fails, I'm stuck here and don't have huge amounts of capital to move away or insulate myself like wealthy people can.
Yes all because of one blank wall on Hargrave the entire Winnipeg economy is going to fail and the city will descend into Mad-Max chaos while Chipman flees to Toronto on his private chopper....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan