HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 5:44 AM

I'm honestly pretty excited for this project!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 12:29 AM

Cladding going up on the main tower, Mission St. side.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 2:19 AM

I was in the neighborhood today. The tower facade looks like the low-rise, but with a couple of curves. And you can see the start of the angle that will become the "gash."

S Van Ness side

1580 mission 1 by botoxic, on Flickr

Corner of S Van Ness and Mission

1580 mission 2 by botoxic, on Flickr

Mission side

1580 mission 3 by botoxic, on Flickr

Further up Mission

1580 mission 4 by botoxic, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:56 PM

Nice pictures, botoxic. Thanks!

Can't wait for this area to blossom - long overdue.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:33 PM

Is there a plan for the old Goodwill store at this location to move back in? That was a great store

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:19 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
Is there a plan for the old Goodwill store at this location to move back in? That was a great store
No. That was also the headquarters for Goodwill of San Francisco, San Mateo, and Marin, as well as the career center, and their major sorting/processing facility. I read that current Goodwill management does not consider selling that site to have been a wise decision because everything was combined in a central, convenient location, which is no longer the case. Having extensively toured that facility multiple times with groups of ecology and sustainability focused university students, I found it to be very efficient and impressive.

So far, I'm thinking the new complex is looking good though!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:27 PM

Goodwill San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin is now headquartered at 295 Bay Street.

Seems like they landed in an OK spot. No big parking area for trucks to unload, though.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Goodwill San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin is now headquartered at 295 Bay Street.

Seems like they landed in an OK spot. No big parking area for trucks to unload, though.
is that the old Northpoint Theater?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
I hate to be a negative nancy because I know we're supposed to be positive here, but I'm pretty invested in this area (live at NEMA) and I cannot see a way the rest get started this cycle (which honestly feels like it's on its last breath as we speak).

One Oak - For sale as entitled, no progress on that.

1270 Mission - Officially on hold.

Honda Dealership - Needs height increase approved/HUB plan approved.

30 Van Ness - Won't start until 1500 Mission is complete and all SF offices have moved in, although since the city needs money from the sale of this thing this one could move forward outside of the cycle.

City Ballet School Tower - Still in EIR phase as far as I know. Also think it needs HUB plan to pass?

French American School Tower - LOOOOOONG way to go on this still. Needs HUB plan to pass.

CCSF Site on Gough - Boarded up but nowhere near approval. Needs HUB plan to pass.

1 South Van Ness - Nothing even proposed yet, needs HUB Plan to pass but could be tallest in the hood.

1601 Mission - Believe it's officially on hold.

This will be like Rincon Hill I think...very few proposed towers go forward in the current cycle, and by the next cycle they'll be well positioned to be the first out of the gate and sprout like weeds and go up around the same time.

Central SOMA and HUB Plan took/are taking so long and there are so many projects waiting on both to move forward, both huge and infill. As a result I think both areas will be crane cities whenever the market picks back up again.

Would love to be proved wrong on any of the above though! Such a vital site for the city to provide tons of housing right on top of A+ transit and situated perfectly around some vibrant neighborhoods (Hayes Valley and Mission).
I believe City Ballet School Tower's EIR is complete and demolition may begin this cycle - HUB plan adoption is not required for it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvion View Post
I believe City Ballet School Tower's EIR is complete and demolition may begin this cycle - HUB plan adoption is not required for it.
Oh that's good news. I really like this one.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Speaking of...

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvion View Post
Something like that, that is not simply a for-profit development, should have a much better chance of moving forward regardless of the economy or the housing market.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Something like that, that is not simply a for-profit development, should have a much better chance of moving forward regardless of the economy or the housing market.
It's clearly working for the Conservatory of Music project on Van Ness. My hope is that the ballet school and the French American school have enough push to get those two projects going even if the market is colder. And frankly it's something I've admired about The Hub...almost all proposed projects are offering something tangible beyond just new housing (which I'm all for and I think should be reason enough alone, by the way).

Conservatory of Music, City Ballet School, French American School, Plumbers Union all getting new facilities. 1500 Mission offering new city offices. One Oak and the Honda Dealership will give new pedestrian street areas. The Market/12th project adds a new park. I think that when all built out, they'll establish a "new neighborhood identity" far quicker than Rincon Hill because really they're just taking the best of the neighborhood that already exists and making it better, and adding housing on top. So they don't need to find an identity, a lot of that "identity" will already be there because of these built in uses, and I think it will balance out the "evil techies" accusation currently getting thrown at Mid-Market (lamely I might add). Especially since the new additions (playgrounds and cafe) and activation of Civic Center Plaza are so far successful. Not to mention it's seemed to make a lot of these slam dunks at the Planning Commission although Moore feels very antagonistic to 30 Otis so far.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
I walked by 30 Otis Street (City Ballet School Tower site) today since it's so close to my property and this sign was hanging on all the lots.

Seems like demo could begin after December 19th.

The rug and auto body shop moved out, too.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 9:12 AM
heavy user of walkability

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 8:45 PM

01/5/2019 View from Misson St. & 11th St.

Saturday - workers were making a lot of noise today! So strange to see this massive development happening at this site. When I moved into the neighborhood 47 years ago the Coca Cola company had a bottling plant on the corner - glad that the building is being preserved. One could see the bottles on the production line from the sidewalk.

1500-1580 Mission Street Develope

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:13 AM
heavy user of walkability

glass going in in the 'notch'

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:19 AM

January 30, 2019

The decorative edge caught my eye today as I walked by. I am awed by the development in my neighborhood!

15500-1580 Mission Street

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:45 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's a really good-looking window wall system in the notch. Top notch, one might even say...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The decorative edge caught my eye today as I walked by. I am awed by the development in my neighborhood!
Check out what John King has to say about it here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive