HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 18, 2005, 3:23 PM
Cityslicker

It would be better if the boundary between the Civic Ctr and the Financial Dist wasn't so confusing b/c by City Hall Pk, it changes with Park Row and Broadway being the borderlines.

Old Posted May 19, 2005, 12:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
It would be better if the boundary between the Civic Ctr and the Financial Dist wasn't so confusing b/c by City Hall Pk, it changes with Park Row and Broadway being the borderlines.
It's not really so confusing. The buildings with city offices are in the civic center and the financial district doesn't have any.

I'm sure this will be advertised as a new Tribeca building...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2005, 12:19 AM
Time in the Quantum Foam

DIG the height, but design...

Old Posted May 20, 2005, 10:20 PM

Design now is better than the older design. Boxes is just so un New York.

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 12:19 AM
▓▒░

No wonder why all the hot news is in Dubai or China, at least they try when they design something. This is just weak. But maybe it'll look better when it's done.

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilon Doomm
No wonder why all the hot news is in Dubai or China, at least they try when they design something. This is just weak. But maybe it'll look better when it's done.
All the "hot" news is in Dubai or China because they're doing what New York did almost a century ago - build new and interesting towers at heights no one was imagining back then. Skyscrapers have lost a lot of significance in the US - and was doing so even before 9/11. We don't see them as status symbols anymore (unfortunately for us skyscraper lovers). So we let the other places build them now. Proposals for tall towers are now likely to cause outrage. And lets face it, the government is totally different here.

I'd like to see what gets built in China and Dubai after two 110-story towers, or their two tallest towers get destroyed in a terrorist attack. Maybe they would rebuild, but we don't know that. New York is unique that way. It will take time, but we'll get there again.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 1:44 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilon Doomm
All the "hot" news is in Dubai or China because they're doing what New York did almost a century ago - build new and interesting towers at heights no one was imagining back then. Skyscrapers have lost a lot of significance in the US - and was doing so even before 9/11. We don't see them as status symbols anymore (unfortunately for us skyscraper lovers). So we let the other places build them now. Proposals for tall towers are now likely to cause outrage. And lets face it, the government is totally different here.

I'd like to see what gets built in China and Dubai after two 110-story towers, or their two tallest towers get destroyed in a terrorist attack. Maybe they would rebuild, but we don't know that. New York is unique that way. It will take time, but we'll get there again.
But NYGUY, that's not entirely true, look at your own signature.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 12:55 PM
This is Lucy

ewwwww

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 1:16 PM
JACKinBeantown

But none of the buildings in Stern's signature really break out of the top of the existing skyline. Not to get into a spire debate (that's not my point), but the roofs of three of those buildings are below 900 feet and the other one may not even get built at the rate they're going. And if the Freedom Tower does get built with it's current design (or similar) the roof of the actual building will only be at 1100 feet. It's only the spires/antennae of these buildings that will be at the really high levels, not the building parts where the people will be.

Old Posted May 23, 2005, 7:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc
But NYGUY, that's not entirely true, look at your own signature.

Agreed Stern. I was just speaking to his perception. It can actually be said that New York is building taller than it ever has, with the number of new towers supassing the city's second tallest - the Chrysler.

Despite what Jack thinks, the Freedom Tower in its last incarnation topped off at 1,150 ft - higher than Trump Tower Chicago which is a pretty tall building in its own right. And in the new design will reach even higher. Very significant for a city that wasn't supposed to be building taller than 50 stories at all. And as we know, most of New York's earlier tallest included spires, just as the new batch of world's tallest currently do.

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 12:47 PM
New Yorker for life

The tower will rise above Church St (near the Woolworth) in this shot posted by gripja in the 7 WTC thread...

Old Posted May 25, 2005, 2:50 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC
But none of the buildings in Stern's signature...
I'm sorry, I meant NYguy's signature.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2005, 3:19 AM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

Thats cool NYguy, i will try to get future shots of the progress of 10 Barclay from the above location-- i haven't wandered down to barclay st to check out the progress in a while but last time i was there there was no reason even to do so as of yet. I'm not even excited about this project -- i hope it surprises me.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2005, 2:07 AM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

Heres an shot taken today of what this project looks like. It has to be a delicate job to build right next to the oldest RC Church in Manhattan (Which stairs I was standing on to get this pic)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2005, 2:28 AM
JACKinBeantown

Interesting to see that they're actually getting close to the vertical growth part. Does it look like it will be a good neighbor to the old church.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2005, 11:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripja
Heres an shot taken today of what this project looks like. It has to be a delicate job to build right next to the oldest RC Church in Manhattan (Which stairs I was standing on to get this pic)

This has got to be one of the slowest developments in Manhattan. I'm sure they'll pick up the pace once it starts climbing though.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2005, 4:21 AM
The True Avatar

Of course it is moving slow. There are only 5 people working on it. And only one looks to be actually doing any work.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2005, 4:38 PM

I like how they have toe wooden walkway to the back of the church, complete with those temporary wooden crosses above the gates.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2005, 10:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis
Of course it is moving slow. There are only 5 people working on it. And only one looks to be actually doing any work.

At that rate, we'll find Osama before this thing gets built...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2005, 9:20 PM

Set to rise between the Transportation Building (the tall brown one) and the church

Check out Chase Manhattan Bank on the upper right

They already got all the necessary tools of trade - from the crane...

...to the johns

Damn, the grit, the density, the multi-level vertical city... just imagine the views from the tower looking south when it's completed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive