HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Hey, being that I am not from the area, can anyone inform me on the name and function of this rather iconic yellow bridge?
It is called the Tower Bridge. The two towers pull the bridge deck up in the middle to allow the bigger boats to pass. You can read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_B...8California%29

- or -

http://home.pacbell.net/hywaymn/towe...ge_history.htm

If you ever watch a Sacramento Kings game on ABC or ESPN, they are always showing this bridge when they come back from commercial breaks.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 1:23 AM
Kodachrome

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 1:34 AM

*Cough, Cough* I can't breath.

BTW, cool shot. CalSTRS is turning out to be a gem

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 10:41 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactown_2007 View Post
It is called the Tower Bridge. The two towers pull the bridge deck up in the middle to allow the bigger boats to pass. You can read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_B...8California%29

- or -

http://home.pacbell.net/hywaymn/towe...ge_history.htm

If you ever watch a Sacramento Kings game on ABC or ESPN, they are always showing this bridge when they come back from commercial breaks.

A Kings game on ABC or ESPN.

Since when?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
A Kings game on ABC or ESPN.

Since when?

Good one!!! LOL!!! Yep it has been a while!!!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 11:20 PM

From the Bee.

CalSTRS' new building goes for 'green' gold
High environmental goals set at W. Sac headquarters

By Jon Ortiz - jortiz@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Sunday, July 13, 2008
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

Jack Ehnes confronted the same worries you probably faced buying a TV or picking out a new computer: Am I doing this too soon? Will prices come down? Is this new technology a fad?

The big difference between his decision and yours is about $276 million the price of the eco-friendly headquarters of the California State Teachers' Retirement System in West Sacramento.

"People greatly worry with projects like this," said Ehnes, CalSTRS' chief executive officer. "Am I getting into something tested and true or do I wait? It's a dilemma."

Judging from last week's CalSTRS report and interviews with construction experts, Ehnes and his team of architects, contractors and staff made the right call.

The 14-story office building remains on budget. It's slightly ahead of its June 12, 2009, move-in date. It has faced virtually no opposition.

And, experts say, the glass-and-steel building that dominates the view across the Sacramento River will add momentum to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's push for "green" buildings and speed up a similar movement in private construction.

At a meeting Thursday, CalSTRS board members let out a collective "ahhh" over a photo looking up at the 400,000-square-foot building as a construction crane towered over it.

In less than 10 years, the push for green architecture, building methods and interior design has swept through the commercial development industry. But the movement is still in its infancy, and what it adds to the price of building vs. its long-term payoff is unclear.

Comparing CalSTRS' new building with others in the area is complicated. Most commercial buildings get built on faith that the developer can find tenants. Because of that, they often lack many finishing touches and amenities. Those things are negotiated with tenants later.

CalSTRS started the project knowing it was both landlord and tenant, so it is building the space and furnishing it to fit its needs.

The "bare bones" structure, minus things like land, engineering and furnishings, costs about $360 per square foot, according to a report last year to the CalSTRS board.

Compare that to the recently opened U.S. Bank Tower on Capitol Mall. David Taylor Interests put up the 363,000-square-foot office building for $130 million. Assuming the company held to that figure – it has declined to disclose that information – the 25-story tower's cost was about $358 per square foot.

Ellen Warner, the Taylor Interest executive who oversaw U.S. Bank Tower's design and construction, noted that the same architectural firm – Hellmuth, Obata + Kassabaum Inc. – designed both buildings. The building also has several energy-conserving features, she said.

Change orders can add millions to a project. The $265 million headquarters expansion completed about three years ago for the California Public Employees' Retirement System recorded more than 700 change orders that added about $27.7 million to the cost.

CalSTRS has spent only $179,000 in changes to date. It cut down on costly midstream adjustments by breaking with construction tradition. Instead of talking to designers, architects and contractors separately, it got all the players together from the start. That helped reduce conflicts, those involved say.

"It looks like (CalSTRS) did some very, very smart things," said New York City-based construction lawyer Barry LaPatner, an expert in commercial building costs. "They're getting a solid 'A' right now, and assuming this works as planned, they're on their way to an 'A+.' "

CalSTRS, the nation's second-largest public pension fund with $172 billion in assets, realized six years ago that it was pushing the space and technology limits of its aging complex on Folsom Boulevard near Power Inn Road.

As the fund's leaders weighed their options, CalSTRS' investment managers saw a real estate trend emerging: green construction.

"Our research showed we were on a precipice of environmental technology in construction," Ehnes said.

Since 2003 the number of the nation's 200 most populous counties with green building programs has gone from eight to 39, according to a new report by the American Institute of Architects.

Sacramento County, the nation's 25th-largest county, has a plan in the works that should come before the Board of Supervisors later this year, a spokeswoman said.

CalSTRS' decision to build an environmentally friendly structure was bolstered by Schwarzenegger's 2004 executive order to make state buildings more efficient. Those kinds of mandates do more than alter how buildings are built with public money, experts say, because they set a larger social and business agenda.

"The public sector has had a ripple effect that is leading to more and more (green) private commercial buildings," said Scott Frank, spokesman for the architects institute. Tax breaks for green buildings also can increase demand.

Part of Schwarzenegger's order calls for new or newly leased state buildings to have Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification. The U.S. Green Building Council in 2000 introduced LEED standards as a way to grade eco-friendly structures. CalSTRS' headquarters is shooting for "gold," the second-highest LEED certificate.

Projects earn LEED points for green features like recycled construction materials, bike racks and showers, or even their orientation: CalSTRS' new building increases interior exposure to natural light by having the wide, bow-shaped glass side facing south.

Depending on the number of points received, a building is rated "certified," "silver," "gold" or "platinum."

It's difficult to pin down what all of this costs compared with conventional construction. Several studies indicate that building to LEED standards adds from zero to 2 percent cost. CalSTRS figured its LEED "gold" improvements will add about $19 per square foot, or about 5 percent.

A report by Davis Langdon, a London-based construction consulting firm, concluded last year that building costs "vary widely even without taking sustainable design into account. … Comparing the average cost per square foot for one set of buildings to another does not provide any meaningful data."

About 1,500 buildings nationwide are LEED certified, according to the building council, and more than 11,000 are seeking certification.

In California, 11 of the 13 state-owned or state-leased buildings that have won certification are in the Sacramento area. The Department of General Services, which buys or leases nearly all state-occupied facilities, says that it has another 200 LEED projects in various development phases around the state.

The LEED features in CalSTRS' building include high-performance heat and air conditioning, low-flow plumbing and energy-efficient window glazing.

About $25 million of the project's total cost is going to interior features for the fund's 900 workers and the teachers and retirees who visit.

At least half of the workstations will have individual airflow controls. About 90 percent of the workers will have window views. The furniture is on legs instead of pedestals to improve air flow. The cubicle partitions are designed to let in light and low enough to promote a community feel.

CalSTRS figures that the new building will save more than $145,000 on its annual energy bills, boost morale, and help make it a desirable employer.

Ultimately, CalSTRS' new building comes down to money. The fund is treating the project as it would any investment in its $17 billion real estate portfolio, since that's exactly what it is.

Ehnes said that CalSTRS' hasn't "fallen victim to faddish technology" or companies that have oversold green technology.

"We are savvy," Ehnes said. "We're looking for bottom line returns."

http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/1077658.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 5:23 AM
Kodachrome

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:31 AM

I've never noticed that window pattern detail on the front of the building (I only ever see this building at a distance from the freeway). Reminds me of a sail, maybe also a nod to this building's riverside placement? In any case, this building has turned out better than I ever anticipated.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 5:29 AM

Love it!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 5:32 PM

I love the way that building turned out.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 5:06 AM
Kodachrome

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 12:55 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

At least this time around West Sacramento got it right..

CalSTRS turned out beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:32 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Looks nice. I love that last shot in particular, innov8. You would never know there's a river in between there.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 4:06 AM

I love the way this one turned out!!! I think it needs a little brother or a little sister so it will not be all alone on the banks of the river

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 5:22 AM
Here we stAy

I'd prefer a bigger brother or sister.

Last edited by ltsmotorsport; Nov 11, 2008 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 10:53 PM
Kodachrome

This shots kinda cool with the downtown skyline reflecting off the windows.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 11:21 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Very nice shots, and nice building.
I saw the picture of the park like setting between the building and the river, what is going on there? Is it part of a linear buffer zone or is it independent? Thats the one thing I do not like is tht the building does not engage the river at all.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 1:04 AM
Kodachrome

That's a buffer area for when the river water rises beyond the first levee
area. The rivers water levels can really rise during the winter months so that
is why no buildings are built that close to the river. It was only about 20 or
25 years ago that the boat section of I-5 freeway was flooded and
threatened to flood downtown Sacramento too.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 1:16 AM
REAL Kiwi!

^^ It would be nice if that major feature could be incorprated into the urban plan a bit more, perhaps an urban lake with controlled water levels. Fort Worth is planning an urban lake off the Trinity river....

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 2:13 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Absurd price, nice building. Never heard that it cost $265 million. Should be 3 times it height at that price. But it does wonders for West Sacramento. There needs to be some retail and dining put to really activate the area.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive